SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Safety and security in the Caribbean. (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/331536-safety-security-caribbean.html)

Minnewaska 12-11-2019 06:06 AM

Re: Safety and security in the Caribbean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RegisteredUser (Post 2051640572)
Sailing Ocean Fox has a new interview on yt
I dont follow them...just popped up
Its pertinent to this thread.
I am tech challenged to posting direct links

Interesting interview. Sounds like they were anchored alone in a remote place and they won't be doing that again.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OFfDUZYyHLU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Don L 12-11-2019 08:24 AM

Just so people know, there is crime everywhere

colemj 12-11-2019 09:04 AM

It seems like a lot of people don't do even basic research anymore on areas they visit. Nombre de Dios has been a well-known bad place for many years. Besides, it is a very crappy anchorage, if not dangerous in itself. There is no reason to go there with other safer places within a few miles in either direction (5nm one direction, 2nm the other). Just getting into the bay from sea is the same distance as going to a known, safe, good anchorage.

In the same vein, it seems the Ocean Fox people caused issues in the San Blas islands by taking coconuts and arguing with Kunas about laws and regulations. Again, they didn't do even basic research there.

I don't mean to blame the victim here, and readily admit that bad things do happen in good places, but this particular incident needn't have happened.

Mark

outbound 12-12-2019 11:07 AM

At this point have cruised the windwards and leewards enough to have some sense of this. Know which places are the equivalent of the south Bronx and which are Sutton place.
Still there is a chance to be victimized anywhere. Do read noonsite. Do listen to the local cruiser nets. Do raise and lock dinghy and engine.
Some places I just now skip. Sail by St. Vincent. Stay out of the lagoon use Marigot instead. Nicer. Doesn’t smell. Can even make water. Won’t go to Trinidad except in a flotilla and well east.
I grew up in the lower east side of manhattan. Inspite of having street sense was mugged once. Feces occurs.
While cruising have no jewelry. No watch nor wedding ring. Don’t dress up. Don’t flash. Lock everything. Never anchor alone except in extremely remote places beyond small boat range and then lock up before sleeping.
Just like you do everything possible to not be hacked. You do everything possible to decrease risk of violence or theft.
As an aside. Cable no longer works except in high visibility settings. Use chain on your dinghy. Knock on wood haven’t been hit yet. If gone off the boat for days put engine in a locker or storage. Not locked on a rail. Lock dinghy even if left on deck.

MarkofSeaLife 12-12-2019 11:18 AM

A big large huge light in the cockpit at night so crooks don't feel comfortable.

SanderO 12-12-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outbound (Post 2051640910)
At this point have cruised the windwards and leewards enough to have some sense of this. Know which places are the equivalent of the south Bronx and which are Sutton place.
Still there is a chance to be victimized anywhere. Do read noonsite. Do listen to the local cruiser nets. Do raise and lock dinghy and engine.
Some places I just now skip. Sail by St. Vincent. Stay out of the lagoon use Marigot instead. Nicer. Doesn’t smell. Can even make water. Won’t go to Trinidad except in a flotilla and well east.
I grew up in the lower east side of manhattan. Inspite of having street sense was mugged once. Feces occurs.
While cruising have no jewelry. No watch nor wedding ring. Don’t dress up. Don’t flash. Lock everything. Never anchor alone except in extremely remote places beyond small boat range and then lock up before sleeping.
Just like you do everything possible to not be hacked. You do everything possible to decrease risk of violence or theft.
As an aside. Cable no longer works except in high visibility settings. Use chain on your dinghy. Knock on wood haven’t been hit yet. If gone off the boat for days put engine in a locker or storage. Not locked on a rail. Lock dinghy even if left on deck.

Your prescriptions are too unsettling for me... almost paranoid... no watch, or wedding band.... cell phone? I sailed and anchored in all those Islands in the 90s.... there was crime... maybe things are worse now. I never felt unsafe back then. I prefer Marigot to Rodney Bay too.

Does this apply to all those lovely Caribbean islands these days?

Islands

I’m searching for an island
It's just right for me
A place so special
It’s just got to be

Warm waters lapping
Calm peaceful shores
Quaint little villages
And so very much more

The island has mountain peaks
With clouds about the top
It rains each day an hour
But then must simply stop

The rains fill the ponds,
Rivers and the lakes
You only see sailboats
Ne’er a power boat wake

This island has meadows
Grasses of delicious green
Flowers abound in multitudes
On the hills and by the streams

Palm lined sandy beaches
and rocky cliffs too
Everything imaginable
All surrounded by endless blue

I’ll set down my anchor
Watch the sun arise
Each day will be different
Hold some new surprise

Local folks with so much charm
A society that seems fair
A dollar's still a dollar
But no one seems to care

I’ll befriend all the sailors
Who come and drop their hook
The good ones with flair
Have also come to look

I’ll forget the winter season
The cold and freezing rains
And not miss the deserts
nor even the endless plains

The great cities will be like
far distant dreams
Full of crowds, noise and traffic
In never ending streams

Each island that I’ve sailed to
Meets just part of my need
I'm still searching and exploring
Not missing a good lead

But when to weigh anchor?
And when to make way?
I struggle with this question
Each and every day

The next island beckons
And summons me “sail on”
With promises of new delights
To build a life upon

Not always have I lived
This searching life at sea
Yet there is something about sailing
That’s forever part of me

jso
9/26/94

Don L 12-12-2019 11:43 AM

I sometimes wonder how many crime "reports" are done by cruisers looking to keep people away.

A friend knowing of my plans about staying in Leperon next year sent me a crime report link. When I asked the cruisers there about it on facebook they got "put out" saying they hadn't heard of any of the reported events.

colemj 12-12-2019 11:52 AM

Need to be careful assessing "end of the road" places like Luperon, Rio Dulce, Key West - the people there identify with the place and have often lost objectivity to the point of being overly-defensive and having alternate facts.

That said, I know at least some of the "danger" reports are misinterpretations or misunderstandings by those that made the report. Or petty things blown up into life-threatening drama descriptions because it was the first time a person encountered this type of thing.

On the other hand, bad things do happen, and there are bad places.

Mark

hpeer 12-12-2019 12:17 PM

I’m following with interest because we are in the Eastern Carib this year and have tentative plans to do the Western Carib next year. So I’ve got to commit to a summer haul out spot pretty soon, either Grenada or Curaçao. Grenada is OK. But my first thought would be Curaçao which would give us opportunity to roam Bonaire this year, but pretty much commits us to head West next year.

So the crime situation is on my mind.

colemj 12-12-2019 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpeer (Post 2051640934)
I’m following with interest because we are in the Eastern Carib this year and have tentative plans to do the Western Carib next year. So I’ve got to commit to a summer haul out spot pretty soon, either Grenada or Curaçao. Grenada is OK. But my first thought would be Curaçao which would give us opportunity to roam Bonaire this year, but pretty much commits us to head West next year.

So the crime situation is on my mind.

You won't be roaming Bonaire. There is one harbor with mandatory moorings. You won't even be roaming Curacao, as there is essentially one harbor, and you need to register your anchoring spot and not move from it. The anchorage in Curacao is dirty and crowded, and would be a boring place to spend an entire summer. Grenada gives you the opportunity to continue to cruise the Windwards, while still being a day sail back to Grenada.

Oops, I just reread and see you are hauling out. Then it doesn't matter, except you still will not be roaming Bonaire. I left the above for future reference.

FWIW, the trip from Grenada to Curacao is all downwind and easy sailing. It doesn't get sporty until after there.

Mark