Cargo ships source of plastic pollution - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 48 Old 10-15-2019 Thread Starter
Old soul

re: Cargo ships source of plastic pollution

The commentary in the news article says researchers suspect “cargo ships.” So I was wrong to conclude it was cruise ships. I wonder if the title of this thread can be changed. I’ll ask…

And yes, the paper and the news item does not let fishers or land-based sources off the hook either. The research simply suggests that, due to the age of much of the garbage, that it could not have come from either in this case.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 Old 10-15-2019

Re: Cargo ships source of plastic pollution

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Recently there’s been this big focus on getting rid of plastic straws. Seems to me this study shows that we’d do a lot more if we could get rid of all these single-use plastic drink bottles, most especially for water — what a waste.
Why one or the other? We could just do both..

Last edited by Scandium; 10-15-2019 at 03:43 PM.
post #13 of 48 Old 10-15-2019 Thread Starter
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandium View Post
Why one or the other? We could just do both..
Sure … lets do both. Just saying that getting rid of plastic bottles would do a lot more.

BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 48 Old 10-15-2019

Quote:
Sure … lets do both. Just saying that getting rid of plastic bottles would do a lot more.
And we are. I see plenty of push for people to use reusable bottles. It's just easier to get rid off straws, as they serve no useful purpose; it's perfectly possible to drink without one. Not using a straw has no impact on one's drink intake. (for healthy adults)

Getting and carrying around water without disposable water is a bit more work (not much IMO, but in some cases it is. And people are lazy..)

Last edited by Scandium; 10-15-2019 at 05:00 PM.
post #15 of 48 Old 10-15-2019

Now they do the study! You mean we did not really need to ban straws for our drinks! That's the last time I'll listen to a sixteen year old girl with an environmental agenda!
https://reason.com/2018/07/18/dont-ban-straws/
PhilCarlson likes this.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

Last edited by mbianka; 10-15-2019 at 06:11 PM.
post #16 of 48 Old 10-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Now they do the study! You mean we did not really need to ban straws for our drinks! That's the last time I'll listen to a sixteen year old girl with an environmental agenda!
Complaining about "agenda" while citing Reason magazine?? ROFL! With strict sourcing from the National Institute of FYGM..
Minnesail likes this.
post #17 of 48 Old 10-15-2019 Thread Starter
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I’m quite sure this straw ban is more of a feel-good action rather than actually anything substantive. It’s like virtually all the actions we’ve taken: change light bulbs, recycleing, etc. They don’t really address the real environmental issue, which is that we are using too much.

Don’t get me wrong. Doing something is better than doing nothing. But I think environmentalists have done the greatest disservice by pretending that if we just turn down the thermostat (or turn it up in hot places), if we toss our paper and tins into a blue box, or now if we do away with plastic straws, that we are somehow going to solve our environmental problems. We’re not. But much like security at airports, it’s grand theatre, and it makes people feel like they’ve done their part.
mbianka and WhatTheKell like this.

BLOG:
post #18 of 48 Old 10-15-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Paper as in cutting trees?

I agree with you BTW

Worked for a company trying to developer a compostable bottle. Single use bottles will never be replaced by paper do to durability. Also there is a plastic coating in paper beverage cups.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #19 of 48 Old 10-15-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Just and FYI plastic straws are a large problem not to be made light of.

https://www.plasticpollutioncoalitio...e-a-difference

500 million per day thrown away��������������

Just a small example. I run 26 restaurants, Average Gross 1.5 million per year. 3500 customers per day. Open 250 days per year. I just ran a straw usage report for one of them.

88 cases at 10,000 straws per case x one average restaurant.

Going to paper compostable straws is a strong contribution to the issue of plastic in the landfill. Every little bit counts.
flyrod and Minnesail like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 10-15-2019 at 11:40 PM.
post #20 of 48 Old 10-16-2019

Quote:
I’m quite sure this straw ban is more of a feel-good action rather than actually anything substantive. It’s like virtually all the actions we’ve taken: change light bulbs, recycleing, etc. They don’t really address the real environmental issue, which is that we are using too much.

Don’t get me wrong. Doing something is better than doing nothing. But I think environmentalists have done the greatest disservice by pretending that if we just turn down the thermostat (or turn it up in hot places), if we toss our paper and tins into a blue box, or now if we do away with plastic straws, that we are somehow going to solve our environmental problems. We’re not. But much like security at airports, it’s grand theatre, and it makes people feel like they’ve done their part.
Yep. I never use straws at home or on board and rarely when eating out. Never seen any floating in the local waters either. Waters are pretty clean these days at least in my area. In general things have gotten much better. Though there are some countries that still need to clean up their act. Looking at you China and apparently some of those Cargo ships. Still there are things that we can do without blanket bans. For example I reuse any plastic bags at least once. I also use a grocery delivery service when I'm home. Saves me time, money and I don't need to make a trip to the supermarket. One less car on the road. Plus they take any extra plastic bags I have and they reuse them who knows how many times.
SanderO likes this.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in