Cargo ships source of plastic pollution - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 48 Old 10-18-2019
lho

Re: Cargo ships source of plastic pollution

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
A new study looking at plastic pollution has concluded that most of it is coming from CARGO* ships, not land-based sources as has been commonly blamed.

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2.../24/1909816116

Ships are illegally dumping plastic trash at sea, study suggests

Also interesting (to me anyway) is the paper identifies plastic drink bottles as a major source of this pollution:

Recently there’s been this big focus on getting rid of plastic straws. Seems to me this study shows that we’d do a lot more if we could get rid of all these single-use plastic drink bottles, most especially for water — what a waste.

*I made a mistake.
You won't see that reported on CNN or MSNBC.

George Carlin on the environment - 1992
“The Earth Has Been Around 22,500 TIMES Longer Than Us”
“Earth: 4,500,000,000 years”
“People: 200,000 years”
“The Planet is Fine, The People are ****ed”
MikeOReilly and PhilCarlson like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 Old 10-25-2019
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by peikenberry View Post

And I agree, we need to do away with single use plastic bottles. Not only the ocean, landfills are full of them.
I have done away with them. Almost. I won't touch a plastic bottle if I can help it. On the road (Kerouac reference!) I find plenty of drinks in aluminum cans or glass. I never touch bottled water unless I can't get good tap water. In the few instances I drink out of a plastic bottle I wash it and reuse it several times and then recycle it. I put it in a recycle bin - I hope it actually gets recycled but I am beginning to doubt.
MikeOReilly and Minnesail like this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #43 of 48 Old 10-25-2019 Thread Starter
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
I have done away with them. Almost. I won't touch a plastic bottle if I can help it. On the road (Kerouac reference!) I find plenty of drinks in aluminum cans or glass. I never touch bottled water unless I can't get good tap water. In the few instances I drink out of a plastic bottle I wash it and reuse it several times and then recycle it. I put it in a recycle bin - I hope it actually gets recycled but I am beginning to doubt.
I’m no saint when it comes to buying plastic bottles. I buy, and toss or recycle, the damned things when I have little choice. Aluminum, which might be better (hard to know without a full life-cycle analysis) usually contains sugary drinks, which I’m rarely interested in — except beer, of course .

Talking about reusing though, I just recently had to replace my stainless steel travel mug. I’ve had it for at least a decade, and have repaired it numerous times. I was finally forced to admit defeat and confine it to the recycle bin.

I just hope the new one I bought (for $30!) will last as long.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #44 of 48 Old 10-27-2019

What’s so disappointing is the extraordinary low incidence of plastic actually being recycled even when you separate your trash. Was told by my trash man that since China no longer accepts our trash they bring it to the regional dump where it just sits. They’ve been doing that for quite
From what I understand paper and glass are currently more likely to actually be recycled than plastic.
The microscopic particles of plastic that result when it’s not recycled are now in every life form including us. This is true even if you use no plastic.
Today used a lot of Saran Wrap. Haven’t found anything better to use when varnishing. Similarly haven’t found anything nearly as good as aluminum foil when doing woodworking.
People talk about not using plastic but if you do stuff- building things, refinishing stuff, doing just about any sport you end up using plastic.
Those fancy lines on your boat, the coatings, all the packaging of your parts and many of the parts are plastic. Given its being ubiquitous some better way to manage its lifecycle needs to evolve.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #45 of 48 Old 10-28-2019
WhatTheKell

Significance

Many oceanic islands suffer high levels of stranded debris, particularly those near subtropical gyres where floating debris accumulates. During the last 3 decades, plastic drink bottles have shown the fastest growth rate of all debris types on remote Inaccessible Island. During the 1980s, most bottles drifted to the island from South America, carried 3,000 km by the west wind drift. Currently, 75% of bottles are from Asia, with most from China. The recent manufacture dates indicate that few bottles could have drifted from Asia, and presumably are dumped from ships, in contravention of International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships regulations. Our results question the widely held assumption that most plastic debris at sea comes from land-based sources.

Above quote comes from the source article.
I call BullS**t!

"Presumably dumped from ships" is based on date of mfg. Why couldn't a bottle mfg in China be dumped into a river elsewhere in Asia or in S America? Also, 2yrs seems like plenty of time for a bottle to be carried almost anywhere. (a 1 kt current could carry a bottle about 18000 miles in 2 yrs)
post #46 of 48 Old 10-28-2019 Thread Starter
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheKell View Post
Significance

Many oceanic islands suffer high levels of stranded debris, particularly those near subtropical gyres where floating debris accumulates. During the last 3 decades, plastic drink bottles have shown the fastest growth rate of all debris types on remote Inaccessible Island. During the 1980s, most bottles drifted to the island from South America, carried 3,000 km by the west wind drift. Currently, 75% of bottles are from Asia, with most from China. The recent manufacture dates indicate that few bottles could have drifted from Asia, and presumably are dumped from ships, in contravention of International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships regulations. Our results question the widely held assumption that most plastic debris at sea comes from land-based sources.

Above quote comes from the source article.
I call BullS**t!

"Presumably dumped from ships" is based on date of mfg. Why couldn't a bottle mfg in China be dumped into a river elsewhere in Asia or in S America? Also, 2yrs seems like plenty of time for a bottle to be carried almost anywhere. (a 1 kt current could carry a bottle about 18000 miles in 2 yrs)
Based on what data or science do you call "BullS**t!”? You don’t think these researchers would not have considered this simple factors? Perhaps… but it’s pretty unlikely.

I think a more credible criticism is that this finding is hard to generalize beyond the specific of the island studied.

BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 10-29-2019 at 07:35 AM.
post #47 of 48 Old 10-28-2019
dadio917

coming back from HI in August we passed close to the plastic vortex. For about three days it was amazing and sad to watch all the plastic, bits small and large, go by. mostly it was pieces of things that had broken up of all colors, sizes and shapes. a few plastics bottles but those were not dominant.
Minnesail likes this.

Dadio917
Valiant 39
post #48 of 48 Old 10-29-2019 Thread Starter
Old soul

Just came across this news item. It expands on that floating boom thing that is apparently our there scooping up all this plastics. Except this one is aimed at the rivers.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/i...tion-1.5337721

BLOG:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in