Cargo ships source of plastic pollution - SailNet Community
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 Old 10-15-2019 Thread Starter
Old soul

Cargo ships source of plastic pollution

A new study looking at plastic pollution has concluded that most of it is coming from CARGO* ships, not land-based sources as has been commonly blamed.

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2.../24/1909816116

Ships are illegally dumping plastic trash at sea, study suggests

Quote:
"It's a surprise in that it makes us rethink the source of the garbage in our oceans," said Robert Ronconi, a Halifax-based researcher, currently with the Canadian Wildlife Service, who co-authored the new study. "One of the common assumptions is that most of the garbage in the oceans is flowing out of rivers on land."
Also interesting (to me anyway) is the paper identifies plastic drink bottles as a major source of this pollution:

Quote:
During the last 3 decades, plastic drink bottles have shown the fastest growth rate of all debris types...
Recently there’s been this big focus on getting rid of plastic straws. Seems to me this study shows that we’d do a lot more if we could get rid of all these single-use plastic drink bottles, most especially for water — what a waste.

*I made a mistake.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 10-15-2019 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Mistake on my part.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeOReilly For This Useful Post:
outbound (10-15-2019), wsmurdoch (10-15-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 10-15-2019

re: Cargo ships source of plastic pollution

What else is interesting is how cruise ships aren’t the boon thought to the local economy.
Compare someone visiting and staying in a local b&b, hotel or resort. They use local labor for maintenance, construction, services and transportation. They do all their eating and drinking on land keeping local restaurants and bars open doing business and offering work.
A cruise ship comes with its own labor, services and infrastructure.
What islanders need is jobs. Hospitality jobs are good paying as are construction and maintenance. Other than taxi drivers no one makes out much from the cruise ships. Maybe a lunch or a few drinks. Even tours are done in large groups so offer fewer jobs. Still, you see huge projects throughout the islands to provide berthing for these monsters. Money talks...bs walks.
We see a cruise ship we leave. It changes an idyllic setting to the New York subway in winter.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #3 of 48 Old 10-15-2019
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
A new study looking at plastic pollution has concluded that most of it is coming from cruise liners, not land-based sources as has been commonly blamed.
The foregoing is not correct. Both reports refer to "ships" not "cruise liners".

While I am no fan of cruise ships, my (much) better half is and, consequently, I have been aboard a number of the Celebrity liners and, during such cruises, spent a lot of time going through the ships vitals with a number of the officers and engineering staff while my wife did the Spa thing. As I have been critical of waste from "ships", and particularly plastic water bottles, I was particularly interested in how the ships managed waste.

Aboard Celebrity, and I am reasonably sure other cruise lines as well, I found that trash is sorted, plastic bottles, glass and cans separated out, shredded or crushed and bailed/bagged for shore side recycling or disposal. As we did two cruises "back-to-back" on one occasion, we remained aboard during a lay-over and I watched from our stateroom balcony as bails of shredded plastic, compacted cans, and bags of crushed glass were unloaded to trash haulers on the dockside below. The ship's officers, and particularly the ship's Captain/Commanding Officer--a lady by the way--were all very impressively concerned about the quality of their waste management. I suspect other cruise lines have similar protocols but doubt that commercial cargo vessels come even remotely close and there are far more of those a sea.

One needs lay blame where it is due and not generalize from the specific in the reports. (FWIW I think disposable plastic drink bottles should be entirely banned but that's another discussion.)

FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

post #4 of 48 Old 10-15-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

So what do you propose to replace them with?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #5 of 48 Old 10-15-2019

I do a lot of litter pickup, both land and along the shore. On land, cigarette filters are a huge problem. Along the shore, I find tons!! of balloons, with their attached strings--more than anything else.

I pick up very few plastic drinking straws on either land or shore. The few I find are typically still stuck in the lid.
post #6 of 48 Old 10-15-2019
Barquito

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Paper.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ne/3948909002/
MikeOReilly likes this.

Valiant 32
post #7 of 48 Old 10-15-2019 Thread Starter
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
The foregoing is not correct. Both reports refer to "ships" not "cruise liners".
Yes, you are correct. My bad. I assume since most transport ships carry few crew, hence produce little garbage, the main source must be those ships that carry thousands of people. But you’re right, it only refers to ships, so it could be either, neither or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
What did we all do before these plastic bottles became the norm? Reusable glass was the norm when I grew up. Make the deposit large enough and most people will return them.

The growth of people carrying their own travel mugs is another example of how it could be done. A significant number of people use their own mugs for coffee. Why not extend that to all beverages. Obviously wouldn’t work everywhere, but it is an example of how things can change.
Sal Paradise and wymbly1971 like this.

BLOG:
post #8 of 48 Old 10-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
A new study looking at plastic pollution has concluded that most of it is coming from cruise liners, not land-based sources as has been commonly blamed.

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2.../24/1909816116

Ships are illegally dumping plastic trash at sea, study suggests

Where does it say cruise liners in the article? I only saw references to shipping. Did I miss it?

Edited: Oops, I see svHyLyte already pointed that out

Last edited by MastUndSchotbruch; 10-15-2019 at 01:12 PM.
post #9 of 48 Old 10-15-2019 Thread Starter
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Where does it say cruise liners in the article? I only saw references to shipping. Did I miss it?
Uhmm… Post #7?

BLOG:
post #10 of 48 Old 10-15-2019

To be clear, the conclusion of the article is that a large proportion of the plastic pollution on one island in the south-central Atlantic is from shipping, mostly plastic bottles that came from China. It makes no statements about worldwide pollution sources, except to reiterate that 80% probably comes from the land, and most of the rest is fishing nets.
oysterman23 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in