SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Desert Cruising

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  alchahelic 
#1 ·
I thought I'd share some pics of my cruising grounds in the Karoo desert in South Africa.
Please move the post if its not in the correct place.
Regards
Alchahelic

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I enjoy hearing about places I've never been (let alone heard of). I looked up the Karoo Desert. Interesting to read there are no agreed upon boundaries, but it didn't look like it had any coast, so I presume that's a lake.

Does it have a name, are there any facilities. Do you trailer there? Pics looks pretty barren.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies.
It is a man made dam, so not on the coast. Its called Gariep Dam and has around 370 square Km of surface area.
There are about 40 yachts moored on the dam ranging from 18 to 45 feet. We have a 20 ton gantry with a dolly and a large slipway and jetty.
We have monthly regatta's were there is anything from 8 to twenty boats taking part.
The entire lake is a wildlife reserve so there are loads of animals around the lake and on the islands.
Our prevailing wind is westerly and it is affected by the hilly topography if you are close to the side.
During summer the temperature goes over 40 Celsius and winter drops below freezing.
The lake is on a plateau and is 4500 feet amsl.
Because our coastline is not very sailing friendly we actually have a few members that live at the coast and keep their boats on the lake. Its really a great place to sail.
If you guys would like I could post a few more pics ?
Regards

#11 ·
Thanks guys.
Yes we sail year round.
Our winter actually produces the most consistent winds for sailing but unfortunately there are usually fewer boats because of the outside temperature.
A few of our members go to the Med during our winter.
I hope to join them in the not too distant future.
Regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.