Northern Bahamas- current situation? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 Old 10-31-2019

Dock
Re: Northern Bahamas- current situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post

How did you do that?

We draw 6-1/2’
How I make a ships track into a route for me is very easy.
I use OpenCpn which allows you to record the track of a Target for up to 2 hours. I then just use my route tool to make a route that follows the part of their track thats useful to me.
I use it often, very often... the most recent was coming out of Belgium over their shallow sands to London. I had 2 charts, both different So I just watched for ships going through and saved their tracks. Cheating of course, the Royal Navy would look down their noses at me
Coming into an unknown port is much easier when I see a deep boat go in ahead of me.
BTW the Bahamas has excellent AIS range so I see everything at well over 30nms.

In the Bahamas its really easy because their cargo ships all look like this and draw 2 meters. There must be some water under their keel so 6 1/2 feet would be fine...

Yes, Ive heard of the depth gauge that updates your own charts. Ive heard Superyacht put it in the Tender and send it through ahead of the Superyacht and it transmits back the data. Pretty cool!
mbianka likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 10-31-2019

Use Noonsite to stay current with rules and local information. They call Georgetown chicken harbor but there’s always something cool going on at volleyball beach. Approach is a bit convoluted but good for even deep draft boats. Cruisers morning net is excellent and folks quite helpful.
Compared to the rest of the Caribbean the Bahamas are expensive and mostly repetitive. Skinny water sailing does get old. So have little desire to go back.
krisscross and mbianka like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #13 of 26 Old 10-31-2019

Id consider to make a telephone call to the Bahamian Embassy in DC to obtain the latest info on operating entry ports, major hazards to navigation. Of course being the Bahamas, official info must not be taken as 'gospel'.

Since 'the usual' track from West Palm / Lake Worth to the Abacos is to enter (the banks) through 'Memory Rock' which over the past few years has become more shallow .... Id ask for the condition of that pass onto the banks ...or if Spanish Cay (Marina) or Green Turtle (Marina) are open for entry, you might want to telephone them directly (My usual entry port for this track is Green Turtle Club Marina). The alternative would be to clear in a West End (Old Bahama Bay Marina) and ask for the current info on safely entering the Little Bahama Banks, etc. Note do NOT enter Old bahama Bay on a stong W-NW blow unless youre confident in navigating through rages.

Explorer or e-charts derived from Explorer charts are the bible for travelling the Bahamas.

Like you I dont like crowds, so for my most recent visits Ive enjoyed entering at the Abacos and then sliding south from there ...Abacos (Lynyard Cay) --> Spanish Wells / Royal Harbor and then south. Sadly, I think Bimini (and New Providence Island) is become too dangerous for boaters due to the current drug trade.
krisscross likes this.

post #14 of 26 Old 10-31-2019
Freedom Chip Counter

Fair winds Krisscross! Please keep us posted. We live in Lighthouse Point now (just North of Lauderdale), send me a PM and we'll have a beer if you're in the neighborhood. We almost made a run for the Keys last week, but chickened out due to potential 3m seas. We ended up flying to the Caymans for some anchorage reconnaissance and diving instead.
krisscross likes this.

Tartan 31
post #15 of 26 Old 11-09-2019

Update 9Nov19 ..... Abacos advisory

Sailing Friends of mine are reporting dire conditions for most of the Abacos Islands:
Most all marinas and marine services - devastated, probably taking YEARS to recover.
Marsh Harbour and nearby was totally devastated, minimal electricity and municipal water available. All 'servoices are dysfunctional All the marinas in the inside harbor are totally destroyed, no fuel available. The big "super market" in Marsh Harbour is 'flattened'. The big "Boat Harbor" Marina on the east side (towards Hopetown) is totally destroyed as is much of the 'resort'.
No info on Hopetown nor Man-O-War nor Green Turtle - enclosed harbors.
Bahamian government relief is reported to be dismal to none.

Charts are useless in many areas due to severely shifted bottom. No info on the infamous Whale Passage.

Overall it sounds like it will take years for the Abaco Islands to recover back to normal.

Last edited by RichH; 11-09-2019 at 07:52 PM.
post #16 of 26 Old 11-09-2019

The dorian devistation, along with winter cold fronts, will push more cruisers to the exumas.
The fronts can be a tuff cookie to deal with. Dont want to get trapped
The berry islands are better than good if you have good weather.
krisscross likes this.
post #17 of 26 Old 11-09-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
Fair winds Krisscross! Please keep us posted. We live in Lighthouse Point now (just North of Lauderdale), send me a PM and we'll have a beer if you're in the neighborhood. We almost made a run for the Keys last week, but chickened out due to potential 3m seas. We ended up flying to the Caymans for some anchorage reconnaissance and diving instead.
Thank you! Will do. I am anchoring in Port Royal SC tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
522337D1-C2C3-4A7F-BC0A-08FE8BBAA5D3.jpeg  
MarkofSeaLife and scubadoo like this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #18 of 26 Old 11-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
The big "super market" in Marsh Harbour is 'flattened'.

No info on the infamous Whale Passage.

Overall it sounds like it will take years for the Abaco Islands to recover back to normal.
I assumed the same, and that the store might not even reopen at all, but apparently they were one of the first facilities to get back up, and they are opened and stocked now: https://littlehousebytheferry.com/20...wells-reopens/

The Whale Passage was always a deep water cut, so I don't expect it to have changed much. I wouldn't put much faith in any other channels, though.

If I had to bet, I'd bet on those "years" to be counted on two hands and not one.

That was a terrible, terrible storm. I can't even imagine.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #19 of 26 Old 11-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Thank you! Will do. I am anchoring in Port Royal SC tonight.
Looks like you got lost in the southern hemisphere?

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #20 of 26 Old 11-09-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Looks like you got lost in the southern hemisphere?

Mark
Ha ha! indeed... but somehow the picture looks right when you click on it.
I'm running away from the cold but the mornings are numbing and frost is in local forecast for tonight. Wicked north wind whips up big waves in the bays. Gale force winds yesterday in Charleston harbor. Lots of boats going south on ICW. I have not seen anybody going north in days.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in