Northern Bahamas- current situation? - SailNet Community
 35Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 10-30-2019 Thread Starter

Northern Bahamas- current situation?

We are leaving Oriental NC for the Bahamas on Friday. Anyone knows current situation in the northern Bahamas? Can we check in Freeport? How is Marsh Harbor when it comes to staying there for few weeks? Any information is appreciated.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-30-2019

Re: Northern Bahamas- current situation?

There are abaco specific forums...giggle it.
Id be wary of using current charts in some areas.
Landing south of there might be considered, relieving yourself of unknowns.
Northern bahamas are more affected by winter cold front changes...and comfortable water temps
krisscross likes this.
post #3 of 26 Old 10-30-2019 Thread Starter

Yes, my original plan was to check into Bimini and cruise down to Georgetown. But I donít like crowds and would gladly go to places with fewer services and fewer people.
scubadoo likes this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato

post #4 of 26 Old 10-30-2019

Think the outer islands.
But do the exumas to get a feel for it.
You can be on the shallow banks and do interesting things and find good protection.
During winter, good protection will mean a lot to you.
Take licks before you take big bites..maybe
krisscross likes this.
post #5 of 26 Old 10-30-2019

We did the Abacos then down through the family islands. Only I would skip San Salvador if I was to do it again. The anchorage is dicey and the marina was untenable forcing a exit at dark through surf. NOT good.

Eleuthera and Spanish Wells were nice. Should not have been effected by the storms. Further South stopped at Managuaya, pretty deserted place with a good anchorage. Not much to do shoreside. We laid there 3 days with 40 knots and were fine.

We felt very safe and almost no crime. We frequently rent a car for a day to tour an island from shore side.

Georgetown, Exumas was not as bad as we thought it might be. But we were with under 200 boats on the hook. I hear they can get close to 300 during race week whenever that is. So maybe someone could fill in on that.

We liked the Abacos best but I would give them a skip for a couple of years unless you need to do something to contribute.

We liked the Bahamas but are not wild to go back. Too flat and arid, but thatís a personal taste thing. We prefer DR, PR, Dominique, Guadeloupe, Martinique.
MarkofSeaLife and krisscross like this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #6 of 26 Old 10-31-2019

Dock

You could clear in at West End... If it still exists.

To get to Marsh Harbor I would go outside, in New Providence Channel.
I've seen drone footage of Marsh Harbor and it's flattened. Totally. So they may want visitors to help.
If not, then it's easy to go to Nassau... It is pretty cool. Atlantis is totally weird but unmissable. High crime but I took the local bus out to the suburban mall and it was great.

The Exhumas are terrific. Georgetown is a Must See as the Snow Bird cruising community is crazy weird.

As @hpeer says, it's all flat and barren, plus the history, community and culture is totally fractured because it's too close to the USA.

However, it's the first country outside North America so it's interesting for that. And if you want solitude then sail 5 miles and you'll find somewhere deserted.

Watch the shallow waters where the hurricane may have stirred the bottom. I used AIS to track the local cargo boat - they draw 2 meters, I draw 1.8m. So I just saved their tracks as routes
krisscross and scubadoo like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #7 of 26 Old 10-31-2019

If you will be in the Bahamas in November, you will find the normally crowded places uncrowded. That is a great time to explore the Exumas on your way to Georgetown, and even GT will be mostly empty.

I'd skip the N. Bahamas completely right now. They were totally destroyed. Even if they did have some services, I would not want to chance the unknown wreckage and the possible desperation. Marsh Harbor will likely be a fouled bottom from the marina and house wreckage.

Mark
krisscross likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #8 of 26 Old 10-31-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
As @hpeer says, it's all flat and barren, plus the history, community and culture is totally fractured because it's too close to the USA.

However, it's the first country outside North America so it's interesting for that.
This is all true, but one positive thing missing is the Bahama waters, which are unique and spectacular. If you like fishing, diving, underwater photography, and the sort, the Bahamas are world-class. We've been all around the Caribbean Sea and have not found better waters, although diving around Bonaire and Roatan are very good. However, they do not have the Bahamas water colors - which are spectacular.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #9 of 26 Old 10-31-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
they do not have the Bahamas water colors - which are spectacular.

Mark

Yes, theres no doubt you will never, ever see water like in the Bahamas. Even the Pacific where the water can be as clear, the water in the Pacific is deeper so its different.

Its truly amazing.
Minnesail and krisscross like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #10 of 26 Old 10-31-2019

Markofseaife
Quote:
I used AIS to track the local cargo boat
How did you do that?

Somewhere else I read it a depthfinder that communicates to some app with BT or WIFI to make your own depth charts.

Both of these things could be helpful.

We draw 6-1/2í
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in