Meanwhile on SV Delos - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 61 Old 12-02-2019

Re: Meanwhile on SV Delos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Assuming Brian and Karen continue with the cruising and vids, I'm sure it will take this turn. They do this for a living and watching the success of SLV won't miss their attention. While it may lose my attention, SLV proved there are multiple more people willing to watch and pay to watch the baby. However, Brian has had some other principled positions in the past, when he declined a sponsored new boat. We'll see.
I wonder about Delos, SLV, and others on Youtube with babies or young children now that Youtube is apparently cracking down on channels that feature kids. If Youtube determine that your videos appeal to or feature children, they will disable comments, prevent videos from being promoted, prevent targeted ads/monetization (not 100% sure about all monetization), and other not-so-good things in order to comply with COPPA (see their $170MM fine from September).

This has already started to happen to families with kids who put stuff on Youtube and some are speaking out. See, for example, a recent Sailing Catalpa video posted on 11/30/2019 (I can't link to it because I'm new here). Unless Youtube are making exceptions for favored channels, this is going to impact SLV, Delos (once their baby appears), Ran (once their baby appears), Zatara, Britican, and probably a bunch of other channels I can't think of off the top of my head in addition to Catalpa. I've heard that 1/1/2020 is when the real crackdown begins.
MarkofSeaLife and mbianka like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 61 Old 12-02-2019

The kids content dynamic is interesting. The fine was about collecting personal information from kids and Google's/YouTube's response has been more broad, particularly when dealing with content aimed at child audiences.

It could sweep up the channels who vlog their babies/children too, but it's not clear to me. These sailing channels may be exploiting their babies, but it's for adult subscribers, I would think.
mbianka likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #53 of 61 Old 12-02-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimmy View Post
I wonder about Delos, SLV, and others on Youtube with babies or young children now that Youtube is apparently cracking down on channels that feature kids. If Youtube determine that your videos appeal to or feature children, they will disable comments, prevent videos from being promoted, prevent targeted ads/monetization (not 100% sure about all monetization), and other not-so-good things in order to comply with COPPA (see their $170MM fine from September).

This has already started to happen to families with kids who put stuff on Youtube and some are speaking out. See, for example, a recent Sailing Catalpa video posted on 11/30/2019 (I can't link to it because I'm new here). Unless Youtube are making exceptions for favored channels, this is going to impact SLV, Delos (once their baby appears), Ran (once their baby appears), Zatara, Britican, and probably a bunch of other channels I can't think of off the top of my head in addition to Catalpa. I've heard that 1/1/2020 is when the real crackdown begins.
Very good point. Though I suspect they will all adopt for the Adult designation.

Mike
Currently: Hunkering down for a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #54 of 61 Old 12-02-2019

One would think it would be a simple as marking your content as not targeting children, but it is not. The criteria are extremely broad and creators don't get to make the call on their own. Google will be reviewing content as well using bots (and probably their current outsourced, cheap labor). One of the criteria for determining whether content is targeted toward children, for example, is the "age of models". Google has already started flagging channels with "models" that are children, and they have not been willing to budge for months. Again, I would provide links, but I can't do so until I hit 5 posts 😞

The fact that SLV very prominently features Lenny in not only their intro but also the rest of their content is almost certainly going to get them flagged for targeting children of Google are applying the same rules to all channels.
post #55 of 61 Old 12-02-2019

Dock

Ha! Well, the USA is telling Google to catch up with the rest of the civilized world where internet companies just can not hide Cookies on your computer without the adult computer owners consent for EACH and every website.

Here in Europe you get a page like the one attached.

I would have thought the unauthorised use of personal data of children under 18 would be the highest level of theft. Stealing their banking details, and fraudulently recording their desires for all time, etc etc is a prime concern.

I'm glad to see the USA catching up.

"...the FTC and New York Attorney General allege that YouTube violated the COPPA Rule by collecting personal information—in the form of persistent identifiers that are used to track users across the Internet—from viewers of child-directed channels, without first notifying parents and getting their consent. YouTube earned millions of dollars by using the identifiers, commonly known as cookies, to deliver targeted ads to viewers of these channels, according to the complaint."

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pres...ged-violations

How this relates to sailing videos clearly made for adults is going to be pretty easy. Google/Youtube ain't crazy.

Its great to see that the monopoly of Google can be swayed by a mere US$177m fine. "Mere" because $177m is probably 1 days US profit for the Big Goo.
Attached Thumbnails
goo.jpg  

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #56 of 61 Old 12-02-2019

If I understand the international rules correctly, they must notify you prior to placing a cookie, but they are not required to allow you access to their site, if you decline. Effectively, that’s almost duress in today’s society.
MarkofSeaLife, Rezz and mbianka like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #57 of 61 Old 12-02-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
If I understand the international rules correctly, they must notify you prior to placing a cookie, but they are not required to allow you access to their site, if you decline. Effectively, that’s almost duress in today’s society.
Yes. But in actual effect if you decline you get access to the site anyway. They just hit you with non-personalized ads, which is fine by me.

Sure, some make it difficult, like Yahoo for example. But they will lose too much buisness so they are now changing.

Sea Life

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
post #58 of 61 Old 12-02-2019

The Youtube adult/child designation is no biggy from the creators perspective.

For each video now there is a question: is this video made for children. You click on a box yes or no. Thats about all there is to it. I clicked no for all of mine, because for the most part, kids aren't going out and buying boats, or even watching many youtube videos about them.

I didn't notice any change in my analytics after wards.
mbianka likes this.
post #59 of 61 Old 12-02-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
is this video made for children. You click on a box yes or no.

Ummmm, it might not be so simple. If you suddenly jump up from the tiller: "Right, Girls and Boys, lets sing the Gybing Song!!!!!!!! Ready? 1,2, 3...."

Actually, if you do that can you post a link?
Arcb likes this.

Sea Life

post #60 of 61 Old 12-02-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
The Youtube adult/child designation is no biggy from the creators perspective.

For each video now there is a question: is this video made for children. You click on a box yes or no. Thats about all there is to it. I clicked no for all of mine, because for the most part, kids aren't going out and buying boats, or even watching many youtube videos about them.

I didn't notice any change in my analytics after wards.
Arcb, I encourage you to look for recent video on this subject from Sailing Catalpa titled "Is this the end for us on YouTube? (Sailing Catalpa)" and a recent video entitled "Youtube is changing" from Aboard Mermaid Monster. Aboard Mermaid Monster are on a Nordhavn trawler, but that video was recommended to me after I watched the Catalpa one and IMO it contains more useful information about the situation. Plus, for these purposes, it's close enough

In both these channel's cases, Youtube have decided on their own that they are "for children" even when they are clearly not, and in both cases Youtube have been completely unresponsive and unhelpful at resolving the issue even after multiple attempts over the course of many months.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in