Meanwhile on SV Delos - SailNet Community
 59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Meanwhile on SV Delos

While some of us are watching La Vagabonde make the west to east trip across the Atlantic. Ironically the second most popular You Tube sailing boat S/V Delos is crossing the Atlantic heading west to Antigua and seem to be having a much better time of it. I wonder when they will cross each others longitude positions.

https://svdelos.com/sailing-travel-blog/wheres-delos/

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mbianka; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Dock
Re: Meanwhile on SV Delos

I just follow their youtube channel so I'm surprised they're heading back west. Would of though that the point of sailing to Europe was to spend some time there as they got used to having a new crew member .
mbianka likes this.

No matter where you go, ....
B&B Spindrift 11N
Past Adventures:
post #3 of 61 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Interesting. I only follow the Delos YouTube channel, which is still crossing the Atlantic to the East, last Spring. The idea was to join up with Brian and Karen, who left for Sweden to have their baby. I wonder if they are back aboard for the return trip. Seems sort of soon. Baby would be ~4 months old.
mbianka likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 61 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereYouAre View Post
I just follow their youtube channel so I'm surprised they're heading back west. Would of though that the point of sailing to Europe was to spend some time there as they got used to having a new crew member .
Yeah me too. I occasionally throw a few bucks their way as the videos help me vicariously get through winter until spring outfitting. Got a thank you email note from Brady saying they were about to leave for the Caribbean about week ago. Did not sound like Brian and Kazza were making the trip.
PhilCarlson likes this.

Mike

Last edited by mbianka; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:54 PM.
post #5 of 61 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereYouAre View Post
The plan, as I understand it, was that Karen and Brian left from Florida, Brady and crew were going to do an Atlantic loop back to the Caribbean and Brian, Karen and baby girl would rejoin back in the warm waters in time for the winter cruising season.

So far it looks like that must still be the plan.
mbianka likes this.

Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
before it's too late
post #6 of 61 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Sounds like Peyton Lagoon/Place...
BarryL, wymbly1971 and Sailstrong like this.
post #7 of 61 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Dock

This is the correct time to be comeing from the Canaries to the Caribbean.

In the next moth there will be between 500 and 1,000 boats heading out from the Canaries.

And ONE going the other way.

No one has a high risk of death on the Canaries to Caribbean trip. A very, very low risk at best.

This is the beginning of the sensible time to do this voyage.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #8 of 61 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Latest update.

"Day 7 - 1780 miles until Antigua!
Mon Nov 18 2019

We’ve been in nice trade wind conditions for days. 2.5 meter swell with 20-25 knots of wind are making for a fast and folly ride. So far we have averaged 6.65 knots. Delos is going well accept the shackle on the main traveler snapped in half. There was a ton of corrosion and I think it had been cracking for some time judging by the rust rings in the stress fracture spots. That’s about it! Back to watch…"
Minnewaska likes this.

Mike

post #9 of 61 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Wtf= corrosion on a key shackle and not replaced before failure!!!

Everyone I know walks the deck several times a day looking for chafe, loose fittings and the state of their deck hardware when on passage. Everyone I know doesn’t leave until their boat is in condition to survive passage intact.

I watch no videos. Won’t fund these “free spirits”. I do work and give to local charities in my cruising grounds or to projects that are trying to achieve meaningful goals not self referenced hedonism.
SanderO likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #10 of 61 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Wtf= corrosion on a key shackle and not replaced before failure!!!

Everyone I know walks the deck several times a day looking for chafe, loose fittings and the state of their deck hardware when on passage. Everyone I know doesn’t leave until their boat is in condition to survive passage intact.
Yup, I get the point. However, I’ve never seen a circumnavigating boat, owned by less than a billionaire look all that Bristol. Perhaps they should have been able to detect this corrosion visually, I haven’t seen what they saw. However, something always has some amount of corrosion.

Quote:
I watch no videos. Won’t fund these “free spirits”. I do work and give to local charities in my cruising grounds or to projects that are trying to achieve meaningful goals not self referenced hedonism.
Since you don’t watch, you can’t really have an understanding of what they’re doing, can you. I used to be fairly negative about these vids putting out the tip jar. However, I’ve come around. Many, especially these larger channels, are producing well made travel documentaries. They aren’t all my cup of tea, as I find SLV to be more drama and home kid reality movie now than travel. Many work hard and produce an entertaining product. For certain, they’ve improved over time and they seem to work full time to do it, which isn’t all that hedonistic. No different than any PBS travel show I’ve ever seen.

I do wonder if it’s sustainable. I love that it’s displacing the Hollywood studios, though.
ThereYouAre likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in