SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Haven't found swimmable water since lake Erie. Spots in florida? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/331994-havent-found-swimmable-water-since-lake-erie-spots-florida.html)

Guyfromthenorth 11-25-2019 01:21 PM

Haven't found swimmable water since lake Erie. Spots in florida?

I need to dive my prop, and also am dying to go for a swim in general lol. All the water since buffalo has been dark brown and zero visibility other than when out on the Atlantic hops (and I wasnt swimming while sailing 6kts).

We are in Jacksonville now and working south. We really want an Anchorage where we can jump in before the Bahamas (lol). Any ideas from locals or experienced cruisers ?

Don L 11-25-2019 02:39 PM

Re: Haven't found swimmable water since lake Erie. Spots in florida?

Doesnít really get clear till about Ft Pierce and even then it is spotty as to where the water being all that clear is. But depending on rain and current you should able to see the prop down near St Augustine

Guyfromthenorth 11-25-2019 03:30 PM

Good to know thanks. Headed there tomorrow.

Minnewaska 11-25-2019 03:37 PM

Iím sure there are divers that will dive in anything anywhere. You didnít say why you need to dive the prop, but if you hire a diver, it may be worth setting the hull cleaning clock to zero. What the heck.

Guyfromthenorth 11-25-2019 05:56 PM

Got a slight knock at certain rpm. Brand new cutless on there so I'm curious if it's a piece of line. I'm being a classic cruiser on a budget and prefer to do it myself lol.

Minnewaska 11-25-2019 06:43 PM

Get a GoPro on a pole.

RegisteredUser 11-25-2019 07:30 PM

Avoid that rpm...:)

pdqaltair 11-26-2019 12:47 AM

In fact you really don't need much visibility for that. Just get your face right in there. We brown water sailors are used to that.

Guyfromthenorth 11-26-2019 09:58 AM

I've avoided the rpm since deltaville, the problem is its everything passed 2300 which leaves me not much push when going anywhere. I tried gopro on a stick several times and flashlights taped on too, too murky. Should be un Augustine by lunch and I'll see about a swin or another gopro try.

scubadoo 11-26-2019 04:07 PM

Be sure to go for a swim at the Blue Heron Bridge, just North of the Lake Worth Inlet. Wait for high tide, viz is great and there's lot of salty fish to see. Just be careful, the currents can run almost 2 knots when not at slack tide...you don't want to fight those!
Enjoy!