Luperon DR - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 Old 12-03-2019

Re: Luperon DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
Never been a hurricane hit Luperon. ......
If that's even true, it must mean the eye wall hasn't gone over Luperon. Hurricanes are typically hundreds of miles wide and there's no doubt it's been hit by hurricane force winds as one passed close. Even tropical storm force winds do damage and threaten an anchorage.

I'm betting the anchorage gets pretty dangerous, when every nearby fishing vessel anchors all around for a cyclone warning.

This map strictly shows the Cat 4 and 5 storms.

MarkofSeaLife likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 12-03-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 Old 12-03-2019

Dock

If it's protected from hurricane winds does it get any breeze at all?
Summer in the tropics without aircon. Or a trade wind would be a sweltering hell? Wouldn't it?

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #13 of 31 Old 12-03-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Iím looking into it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond asking on forums. There are lots of direct experience around for it, from blogs to a Facebook page. I get feeling itís a semi ****hole, but lots of cruisers like semi ****holes! My impression so far is its a good looking place to base the boat out of and save enough doing so to explore the country. Problems with stores etc make it no different than cruising Bahamas, except you can get on a bus and go to a BIG store.

So far what Iím seeing is that everyone believes 3th hand plus reports of bad stuff without really looking into it. Now people here want to ďwinĒ the thread so much they are looking up hurricane tracks, which shows nothing really. No hurricane has hit Luperon since records started being kept so thatís over 150 years. The last hurricane that got close resulted in only 60mph wind in the harbor
chef2sail likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

post #14 of 31 Old 12-03-2019

Don we spent a lot of time trying to lower our insurance premium. Could only find 2 companies (Pantaenius and a Lloyd s group forget exact name ) that would write a policy north of Grenada at anything close to a extreme cost. Think jolly harbor will contact you with a local company but other than that youíre looking at Trinidad or southern bays of Grenada unless you have very deep pockets for insurance with a very high deductible or self insure.
In fact it would be cheaper to hire a delivery crew and lay up in Grenada than stay in DR with insurance.

Díems the facts as I see it. Have a good time. Seems after repetitively being hit many companies have stopped writing and those who remain are very restrictive.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #15 of 31 Old 12-03-2019

No personal experience but reading this thread got me thinking and I found that Chris Parker agrees with you Don:

"If a west-moving hurricane passes over our large mountainous landmass, dry air and tall mountains disrupt the hurricane's structure causing rapid weakening of the entire system. If a west-moving hurricane passes south of our large mountainous landmass, then it is so far from the north coast that conditions on the north coast are mild.

Where can we find a protected harbor along the north coast of a large mountainous landmass? Luperon is one excellent example: In order for a west-or northwest-moving hurricane to affect Luperon, it would pass over 100-200 miles of the mountainous Dominican Republic, including several 10,000-foot-plus peaks located south of Luperon. This would severely weaken the hurricane, minimizing damage in Luperon."
https://www.passagemaker.com/trawler...e-hole-luperon

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC

Last edited by bristol299bob; 12-03-2019 at 11:06 AM.
post #16 of 31 Old 12-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
Now people here want to ďwinĒ the thread so much they are looking up hurricane tracks, which shows nothing really. No hurricane has hit Luperon since records started being kept so thatís over 150 years. The last hurricane that got close resulted in only 60mph wind in the harbor
I think the confusion here is that the DR gets slammed by major hurricanes pretty regularly; however, the storm tracks are always from the South, and they have to go over huge 10,000' high mountains and 200 miles of island to reach Luperon.

None of them do get to Luperon as anything larger than tropical storm, but usually not even that.

To actually hit Luperon, a hurricane would have to come from the North, or travel directly East-West along a precise latitude, while not being influenced by mountains and land mass. This has never happened with a hurricane, but with the wacko stuff these storms do nowadays - who knows?

We have never been to Luperon. We have spent summers in Panama, Guatemala, and Grenada. Guatemala was the one place that was captive where one couldn't still actively cruise around, and it was hot and humid. However, marinas there with electricity are very cheap, so AC was available - miserable otherwise. Panama and Grenada during the summer is also hot and humid, but one is out and about cruising in clean water, usually with a breeze. Given these experiences, I would not want to stay in a place like Luperon, without AC, and not being able to more widely cruise around.

But we have no personal experience with Luperon, so I only offer the above as generalized personal preference (except for the hurricane stuff - that's just facts).

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #17 of 31 Old 12-03-2019

I was typing when bristol299bob posted. Looks like he found a good reference to what I was saying.

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #18 of 31 Old 12-03-2019

I think itís a good idea for you to stay there during hurricane season. For the win, I guess.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #19 of 31 Old 12-03-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Interesting that with the people there Luperon has a great rep, but to those who havenít been itís ďhellishĒ

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #20 of 31 Old 12-03-2019

You may want to differentiate experiences of people who have spent a few weeks or month there in the winter from those who have spent an entire 4-5 month summer there.

Small, hot, humid places get old sitting around all summer. You may find yourself in a rut drinking large, cheap Presidentes beginning early and going late. Again, I have no experience with Luperon, but have had 11yrs now of boat experience in hot, humid places for 4-5 months during the summer. For us (only), the conditions have to be one of the following:
1. A cruisable area with some breeze and interesting activities. The San Blas Islands and Windward Islands are examples.
2. A marina with electricity for AC, and a place where interesting inland travel is possible while still based on the boat. The Rio Dulce Guatemala and other parts of Panama are examples.
3. A good marina/yard that you can dump the boat in and go someplace else for much of the summer.

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in