Luperon DR - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old 12-03-2019

Re: Luperon DR

We were there in January, we had a super bowl party and watched the Eagles win. Earlier that year 2 hurricanes came through and devastated the VIís and Dominique. One of them passed by Luperon Quite close off shore. Folks who were there told me the harbor never got much more than 35 knots of wind. A few boats drug or broke moorings, but as I stated in my above post, I would not trust those moorings. However there was none of the carnage found in the VIís or PR.

We did not find it excessively hot. For a part of our stay we had multiple daily downpours. August may well be different, havenít been there or done that.

Personally Iím about to give up on hull insurance and just go with liability. Thatís a very personal decision depending upon your financial situation, boat value, and stomach for loss. But insurance is like an incremental hurricane, you get a 100% chance of some damage every year (fees) as opposed to a small chance of total loss in some year. Pick your poison.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old 12-03-2019

Hot is a given in summer.
Cooler elevations are there to explore.
Buy a couple of cheap motos and go get lost..resell em
Maybe take some spanglish lessons
Cross to haiti and join a street riot
Should be lots to do
post #23 of 31 Old 12-04-2019

Not sure what that last post means. Haitians are "who you want to hire" generally speaking in the Caribbean. Corruption afflicts everyone. I've spent many summers in the Caribbean. It IS hot, but it's a whole nother world. You can see bottom 8 miles out in 140 feet of water when its flat calm, crystal clear. Luperon is a renowned hurricane hole, and no less or more "dangerous" than Paraquita Bay, Tortola's "Hurricane Hole," except for the fact that Paraquita is no longer "the place to go" after Irmaria piled up all the charter beaters. Your insurance won't cover you (if you bother with it) N of 12N. I get liability if its required (often by marinas), and otherwise self-insure. Screw making an Agent richer year after year for nothing. Bank your premium differential for 10 years and you'll see what I mean. I'd rent an apartment in Luperon or even Puerto Plata or Sosua. The latter being about an hour and an hour and a half from the boat, respectively. Nothing like A/C when you need it. Off season rental could be really cheap. Flights out of Puerto Plata to U.S. dirt are regular. People are generally nice, but I haven't been there in a long time, respectful when shown respect. But there's the same problems you get in the seedier areas of Fort Lauderdale and the rest of FL. Eyes wide open. Don't know where the "hellish" crap came from.
RegisteredUser likes this.

post #24 of 31 Old 12-05-2019

The water is that bad. There is a creek that feeds into the bay that is the sewer system for the town. You walk across the bridge towards the port office and look down, you will see thousands of turds backed up, held out of the bay by a screen. Yes, I have been there and seen it. Many like it because it is cheap, the women are easy, and easier to get to than Grenada.
post #25 of 31 Old 12-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinGray View Post
The water is that bad. There is a creek that feeds into the bay that is the sewer system for the town. You walk across the bridge towards the port office and look down, you will see thousands of turds backed up, held out of the bay by a screen. Yes, I have been there and seen it. Many like it because it is cheap, the women are easy, and easier to get to than Grenada.
Welcome to Caribbean islands. You don't want to dive in the harbor at St. George's, St. John's (Antigua), St. John, etc. sewage treatment, dengue, chikungunya, zika, etc. are everywhere. Nor do you want to dive into some of the Harbors in NY, MA, Maine, etc. The big difference in the Caribbean is the comparatively miniscule tides. The give a crap factor stateside is about as bad, but the tide takes away a multitude of sins.
post #26 of 31 Old 12-06-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIEXILE View Post
Welcome to Caribbean islands. You don't want to dive in the harbor at St. George's, St. John's (Antigua), .
Yessssss, but !!!

From St Georges it's ŗ gnats whisker to the superb Anchorage in the Roads outside St Georges. And ŗ 2 minute dinghy in to be part of this wonderful old town instead of the 30 minute bus drive from the southern bays.

St John's Anchorage next to the cruise ship wharfe and its near impossible climb up the piling to shoreput you in a fantastic spot for when the cruise ship passengers are safely on board and the ship pisses off. The locals come out and the town comes alive.
Anyway who needs to swim after a week or 2 in Barbuda?

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #27 of 31 Old 12-06-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Read an Active Captain review yesterday that call Luperon "Boot Key on a budget". As I'm currently in Boot Key, Luperon is sounding pretty acceptable :-)
RegisteredUser likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 31 Old 12-06-2019

Maybe Luperon will be the place where your Seahawk bottom paint actually works...

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #29 of 31 Old 12-06-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Maybe Luperon will be the place where your Seahawk bottom paint actually works...

Mark
Wouldnít that be special

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #30 of 31 Old 12-06-2019

Removing moss doesnt seem to remove paint, other than the surface scraping.
Barny scraping takes away small divots

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in