Luperon DR - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter
bell ringer

Luperon DR

Tell me everything you personally know of Luperon DR, .......................... please. I'm thinking of spending 2020 hurricane season there.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 6 Days Ago

Re: Luperon DR

Ok...personally known is the qualifier.
Cant post research done
post #3 of 31 Old 6 Days Ago

Dock

Personally?

Grenada is nice that time of year.

😁

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #4 of 31 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Personally?

Grenada is nice that time of year.

😁
I'm sure it is and I'm thinking that for the next year. Trying to slow down.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

post #5 of 31 Old 6 Days Ago

Noonsite suggests it's not the corrupt hole it used to be. You're wise to try to find recent direct experience. Things change routinely on the DR, for better and for worse. I am familiar enough with DR (not Luperon directly) to know that shaking foreigners down for fake fees and overcharges is a cultural norm.

One thing is clear in all my Caribbean travels. You want to competently speak the local language, if you want the best treatment.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 31 Old 5 Days Ago

We spent about a month there in Winter 2016/17. We liked it well enough but that may not be a recommendation, we are weird.

The water is not as dirty as folks make out. Actually I found the town kind of tidy, there is not a lot of trash around, less than in Philly. The water IS very bioactive, you will shortly have lots of bottom growth. There is a sort of “ship yard” but they don’t have a lift. Not sure how they haul, didn’t wander around. No other marine services. There is some kind of “marina” 15 or 20 miles to (howling) Windward. No idea what is there. So if you are doing hurricane season in Luperon it is in the water.

Checking in requires 7 officials and took us 2 days. Not as bad as it sounds. 4 officials come to the boat, but only 2 came aboard. They were polite and professional. Then there are 3 trailers at the town dock. You just need to check in with each. If they are not there come back, you will hook up eventually. Be polite and respectful, they are doing the best they can. Carbon paper is a scarse resource. They have no ability to make copies. Don’t rub it in.

Local guys have moorings, I would NOT trust them. Local guy will come out to deliver fuel and water to you. Presumably he can help you locate assistance if needed. The “marina” has only a few slips but a nice cheap bar/restaurant with good showers. It’s a great place to hang out. We felt quite comfortable there.

The town is poor by USA/European standards. But you can get rum, vegetables, rum, fruits, rum, hardware, rum, and meat. A couple of local restaurants were OK. Some decent roadside BBQ chicken.

The marina can arrange transport.
1- motorbike: everyone rides a motor bike. They are like 125cc machines. Dad, Mom, kids, Grandmom, bikes with milk cans, bikes with an outboard across the handles. In town you just meekly look like you want a ride and a bike will offer to take you there. But only 1 gringo at a time. They travel in flocks. Muffler, what’s that?
2- trikes: think motorized rickshaw. Marina hotel will call for one if you and the Admiral want a ride to town. They have curtains so sorta water proof.
3- gwagua - Honda Civic that takes 6 passengers plus driver. These are for longer runs. Say you want to go to Puerto Plata, you get one to an intermediate town and then another to the destination. Here is the trick, they only move if they have 6 fares, it doesn’t matter if 6 won’t fit, they will rearrange hip bones to make it fit. So you “buy” the vacant seat. If you want to go as a couple just pay for 6 fares and you have a private cab. Still reasonable. Remember to carry smaller bills, sometimes the drivers can’t break the equivalent of a USA $20.
4- long distance bus goes across the island to Santo Doming stopping at the big city in the middle. AC and a bad movie. Takes all day, you need to reserve a room somewhere in advance because you will get in after dark, but reasonable.
5- car rental, rent a total wreck and tour the country side. Hopefully your wreck will be a bit better than our wreck, I was a wreck driving it. But we took a multiple day excursion and toured the mountains and other historic places. Really nifty. Actually chilly, needed a sweater.

Santo Domingo old town is wonderful and they have a huge botanical garden worth a day itself. We stayed in the Art Deco district on the water just outside the colonial walls. Clean but no hot water. Price was OK. Lots of nice restaurants just outside.

All in all we really liked Luperon and I would do it again. 6 months might get a bit long but that’s very much a personal decision. some never leave. No doubt it’s poor, but we found it safe and hospitable.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Last edited by hpeer; 5 Days Ago at 04:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to hpeer For This Useful Post:
MarkofSeaLife (5 Days Ago)
post #7 of 31 Old 4 Days Ago

This US-American couple has spent some months in Luperon:

-Richard
post #8 of 31 Old 4 Days Ago
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
I'm sure it is and I'm thinking that for the next year. Trying to slow down.
There are no rules for cruisers that prevent you from sailing to Grenada for the hurricane season and minimizing your chances of having to go through a hurricane or two, and returning as far north as you wish after the season to restart your cruising plans. I assure you that should you go through a storm in DR, you'll wish you were in Grenada!

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #9 of 31 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter
bell ringer

Never been a hurricane hit Luperon. So I’m sure should someone go through a storm in Grenada they will wish they were in Luperon.

Of course that’s not the thread topic.

Last edited by Don L; 3 Days Ago at 11:04 AM.
post #10 of 31 Old 4 Days Ago

Dock

Don, the reason why there's no personal experience in Luperon is that it's hellish reputation just can't beat.

I don't think I've more than a small handfilul of people who've dropped the pick there... And none do it à second time.

The problem with Hurrucan season is long. Bloody long. So your spot must be able able to sustain you intellectually for. Onths on months. Or be with a airport to buzz off and a marina so you're not at anchor whole away.

Anyway, if you do go there go a week early and see what it's like. If it's a dump then ifs only a week's easy sail to Grenada.

And then tell us what it's like.

Here's a blog that says it's great. But any place without a supermarket... You only get your veges 3 times a week.... And read up on the restaurants... (!)

Put it this way, your budget is gunna be looking great!

https://mrandmrshowe.com/lifestyle-b...s-need-to-know

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 4 Days Ago at 08:55 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in