Leaving Port on Friday - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 Old 12-17-2019
Senior Moment Member

Re: Leaving Port on Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I'm about to start implementing my new retirement plan. Which is to get to someplace warm at least once a month during the winter until Spring outfitting starts. While trying avoid going through Airports as much as possible. So Friday I'm jumping on a Cruise Ship out of New York City heading to the Bahamas. It was a very reasonably priced cruise so I jumped on it. The only negative is that is leaving on a Friday which also happens to be Friday the 13th. Which may explain why it was so cheap. I was trying to remember why it was bad luck for sailors to leave port on a Friday? Let alone on a Friday the 13th. Wish me luck!
It's bad luck to be superstitious.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 12-17-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I was impressed with the security precautions. I watched as a dog was let around all the assembled luggage carts sniffing for explosives before they were allowed to be loaded on the ships. Also any vehicles that traveled on to the dock the drivers had to leave leave the cab and be wanded by security guard checking for metal objects. This included all the regular line handlers who arrived in the pickup trucks with the Port Authority logos on the side. Only then were the crash barriers lowered and they were allowed to drive onto the docks next to the ships to release the dock lines..
Amazing.
For the last ten years or so all of us who work on the docks (including truck drivers) or operate or work with/on vessels that tie to the docks must have a TWIC card. TRANSPORTATION WORKERS IDENTIFICATION CREDENTIAL. It costs us money and those of us licensed by the USCG must have one or our license is not valid.
It was expressly put into use to avoid what you described. I guess, like most government certifications, it has become a just revenue generating device, not a security aid. As they say, "Security is but an illusion..."

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #33 of 37 Old 12-17-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Amazing.
For the last ten years or so all of us who work on the docks (including truck drivers) or operate or work with/on vessels that tie to the docks must have a TWIC card. TRANSPORTATION WORKERS IDENTIFICATION CREDENTIAL. It costs us money and those of us licensed by the USCG must have one or our license is not valid.
It was expressly put into use to avoid what you described. I guess, like most government certifications, it has become a just revenue generating device, not a security aid. As they say, "Security is but an illusion..."
Don't know if they were checking the TWIC card too I suspect they were. Too far for me to see from the balcony.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 37 Old 12-30-2019 Thread Starter

I’ve been back on land for a week after my cruise to Nassau from New York on the Norwegian cruise ship Bliss. Thoroughly enjoyed the time at sea. Spent time trying to figure out the Beaufort scale conditions from looking at the waves and sea conditions. A couple of take-aways of my trip

1) We were two hours late departing from New York because the currents coming down the Hudson River were still very strong from the full moon the day before. interesting that the captain of a ship like the Bliss with its powerful engines and bow thrusters and tugboats standing by to assist still does not depart the docks until the conditions were right. Something to keep in mind when embarking with one's own boat.

2) Because of the late departure, strong headwinds and 4 meter seas it delayed our arrival into Port Canaveral Florida. So plans were changed to remain at sea for an extra day and arrive in Port in early morning. Also the stop at the Private Island was canceled due to the swell conditions there making tender services dangerous. Once again the Captain would alter the plans when conditions changed. No “got to got to” mentality on this Captains bridge. All passengers got a $30 dollar credit because of the changes. Cost to the cruise line about $140,000.

3) Sitting on my balcony at night nursing a double Bailey’s after dinner. Watching the breaking waves and staring into the darkness of the lonely sea has totally removed any desire for ocean crossings from my list. I can’t imagine being out there in a life raft much less just a life jacket. Without a working EPIRB the chances would be mighty slim to be rescued. We had near gale conditions at times and I could not imagine what it would have been like on a smaller cruising boat. Especially those single handers.

Mike

Last edited by mbianka; 12-30-2019 at 05:49 PM.
post #35 of 37 Old 12-31-2019
Senior Moment Member

I crossed the North Atlantic in November on a liner when I was a kid and it did the same - I've never had any real desire to cross an ocean on a small boat.
mbianka likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #36 of 37 Old 12-31-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I crossed the North Atlantic in November on a liner when I was a kid and it did the same - I've never had any real desire to cross an ocean on a small boat.
In my younger days I would think about it. But, work and limited vacation time never made it possible. Now that I am retired and have the time the desire for making such a passage has certainly faded. Don't think I would enjoy the boredom and bouncing along on some of the seas I observed. That's just if nothing goes wrong.

Mike

post #37 of 37 Old 12-31-2019

If it wasn’t for how ridiculously expensive Europe is to cruise and the 3 month deal to work around I’d be up for it. It used to be on my bucket list but no longer after talking with people who have done it.
mbianka likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in