Is paying for a slip worth it? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 66 Old 02-02-2020

Re: Is paying for a slip worth it?

I'm not going to try to persuade you one way or the other Arcb but I will offer a couple bits. Because our 26' boat is pretty simple, we can be sailing within about 15 minutes from the time we park the car...same time upon returning. Also, by agreeing to value the boat at ten thousand dollars, we are able to get very good insurance without surveys.
Arcb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 66 Old 02-02-2020
S/V Interlude, PSC31

Hey Arcb,

We returned to sailing three and a half years ago after a 25 year absence with acquiring a Compac 23d but quickly decided that the move to Interlude was in order (weren't 25 years younger, and frankly time was not on our side to slowly move up!) Clearly Interlude has a slip and also is our cottage on the water. We also acquired a Compac 16 (a boat that taught us sailing a buzzilion years ago) that we have kept at our marina fully rigged and ready to back into the water. 1,100 pound boat with 18" draft, easy to do. The 23d was 3,500 pounds and 27" draft. Impossible to step by yourself and pretty durn tough to launch and recover, so she lived in a slip for the few months we owned her. There was no way we would have tried to trailer her, rig her, launch her, recover her, de-rig her, trailer her home. (two and a half to three hours away) We don't even want to do that with the 16. She simply is taken to and retuned from the marina seasonally and dry sailed while there. $100 every month she sits to her trailer there which is usually 6 months. This past year we opted to keep her home as circumstances limited our sailing season in 2019.

Bottom line, even a boat as easy to trailer, rig and launch as the 16, it is still soooooo much more fun to own and sail if all ya gotta do is back her in the water. Wouldn't have done that with the 23 cuz even if fully rigged launching and recovery was a PIB! Plus if you opt for a slip, as you mentioned it is nice to be ON the water as opposed to close to it!

Bottom line for us was making the decision that we had to make sailing uber convenient thus either a boat lives in a slip or in the case of such a small craft as the 16, minutes from being in the water ready to sail. We would rather pay for that convenience and sail more than not pay and sail less. We are two retired teachers so money is always a factor in decisions but boat ownership is NOT always about saving money (though we try to when it makes sense), it should be about boating!

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0997.jpg  
post #13 of 66 Old 02-02-2020
Learning the HARD way...

Different strokes for different folks.

A buddy of mine has a 19-foot sailboat that we go out on from time to time. Because he lives in a condo, and cannot keep the boat there, he keeps it on a trailer in a storage yard that costs him ~$300/month. Every time that we go out detour to meet at the storage yard, then carpool to where we are sailing. Then we spend at least 45 minutes raising the mast, installing the boom, installing the rudder, and bending on the sails. Then we spend another 15 minutes to launch, and park the tow vehicle, and walk back to the boat. We go for our sail, then we return to the marina. We then spend a similar amount of time unstepping the mast and putting the boat away. In summary; it takes at least two hours from our sailing day to setup and de-rig the boat. This is not worth it IMHO, but he is happy with this because he has never owned anything but a trailer sailer.

I kept my 35-foot boat in a slip for the first 6 years that I owned her, and hated it. I paid for a 35-foot slip, but the finger pier that I was assigned was only 31-feet long, and the fairway was about 40-feet wide. These attributes made docking challenging, and impossible if single handed. People on my dock (C-dock) were great, but those on the next dock (B-dock) were horrible - partying past 2:am every weekend, coming into the marina after too many sundowners.

I have kept my boat on a mooring for the last 4 years, and given a choice will never go back to a slip. I can usually load all my gear into my dinghy which is kept secured to a dinghy dock, and motor to my boat and then load it in about 10 minutes. I am usually underway in less than 15 minutes from arriving at the marina. If needed, I can motor over to the pump-out dock and take on passengers, gear or water. I can easily single hand.
SanderO and flyrod like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 66 Old 02-02-2020 Thread Starter

Now theres an idea I hadn't considered. I could put in a mooring somewhere. Maybe.
post #15 of 66 Old 02-02-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
....I paid for a 35-foot slip, but the finger pier that I was assigned was only 31-feet long
I've always hated this policy. If your boat were shorter than the 31ft flip, they would have still charged for the full slip. It's always been this way and really feel like a rip off. When you rent a two bedroom apartment, you don't pay for the number of people that live in it.

Quote:
but those on the next dock (B-dock) were horrible - partying past 2:am every weekend, coming into the marina after too many sundowners......
This is definitely a factor. I wouldn't cast doubt on all marinas, just like I wouldn't cast doubt on all neighborhoods, just because some have bad neighbors. We have some close friends on our dock and it actually makes it substantially more enjoyable. Often, we all get very upset with the marina, but the friendships keep us there.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
CLOSECALL (02-02-2020)
post #16 of 66 Old 02-02-2020

We've done all 3.

IMHO the trade off is this.

I'd much rather sit on a mooring with my sundowner. The view is better. A marina can be like a trailer park especially if you got some big white clorox bottles on either side of you. If you don't like your neighbors, they are living in your back yard.

I'd much rather load my boat up with stuff from a slip. In some marina's, we've had a great social group which can be part of the fun and friendships that last till this day. Washing down after sailing is a luxury, unlimited water use is a luxury, and plugging in can be helpful especially if you got a fridge.

Worst of worst is trailering. Get to the boat ramp, is there a place to park, is there a line of boats ahead of you, trailers with brakes are **** to maintain, etc. Time from arrival till when the fun starts can be long, although many have perfected it....not me. Although, I have to admit being entertained watching others launch . A truck is never the same after a dunk in salt water. But dry sailing your boat can be a plus.

I think everyone's situation and priorities are different at different points in the sailing life. Good luck with your decision. Whatever gets you out there is a good decision.
post #17 of 66 Old 02-02-2020

I get all the solitude I need, when I leave the slip and anchor. Best of both worlds.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #18 of 66 Old 02-02-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I get all the solitude I need, when I leave the slip and anchor. Best of both worlds.
OK... but do you spend weekends in your slip? If not, why not?

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #19 of 66 Old 02-02-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
OK... but do you spend weekends in your slip? If not, why not?
We spend 4 nights per week aboard during the season. First and last are normally at the slip. We see all our friends before we head out and when we get back. Sometimes we meet them out there, other times we don't.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #20 of 66 Old 02-02-2020

I didn't need a survey to get my boat insured in Toronto. That's brutal if they ask you for that. I use skipper's plan - $300/yr.
Arcb likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in