Is paying for a slip worth it? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 66 Old 02-02-2020
Sailnet Vendor

Dock
Re: Is paying for a slip worth it?

Mast up storage is a great compromise between convenience and expense, if you can find a location that’s close enough to good sailing. It adds only about 15 minutes compared to a slip. Around here, mast up storage saves about $100/ month compared to a slip, provides access to the marina water, guest dock with water, wash down station after sailing, etc. it saves another $100 month in diver and bottom job expense (if you don’t do it Yourself). So mast up storage is at least $2400 less per year than a wet berth.

Rinsing off the galvanized trailer when you rinse off the boat is a must. Hosing off the trailer adds only an extra 2 minutes to a the rinsing job I’m already doing, the job of rinsing salt off the boat, deck hardware and sail cover.

We currently store our trailerable trimaran in a wet slip, but we have kept it in mast up dry storage in the past. The slip is good because I sail it frequently without skilled crew. In order to stay in our budget, I do the bottom job myself every other year. I use micron 66, which is expensive paint, but it lasts 24 months in the water with a gentle diver taking care of it, and can be trailered. When our last kid is out of school, I will happily pay somebody else to sand and paint the bottom!

Is it worth it to keep in a slip? That depends.

SanderO, RegisteredUser and Arcb like this.

Judy B
San Francisco Bay and Delta
F24 Trimaran

Last edited by jblumhorst; 02-02-2020 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 66 Old 02-02-2020

Hey,

I have had 4 boats insured. The insurance company never asked for a survey.

Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Mast up trailer storage is on my list of ideas for sure, about 1/5th the cost. Then I lose the convenience of having a boat in the water to chillax on though.

Bigdog, the marinas require insurance, insurance requires a survey. Insurance surveys are the biggest scam going in the marine industry, especially on boats this size.

Maybe I will try shopping fot insurance companies that don't require surveys.

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 66 Old 02-03-2020

Surveys are a pretty standard requirement in Canada.

post #24 of 66 Old 02-03-2020
Barquito

I doubt people have too much boat damage in slips, but, I always thought a mooring was more 'healthy' for a boat. There is nothing to run into, and the wind is always in the correct direction to continuously ventilate the boat (with the proper cowl vents).

Quote:
Our slip must be 4 times more expensive than a mooring. It's 5 times better.
That describes the situation perfectly. For me, the expense of the slip would cut too far into the boat budget.

Valiant 32
post #25 of 66 Old 02-03-2020
S/V Interlude, PSC31

So...to respond to some thoughts discussed here:

"Loud partying marina folks"...Our marina is sailboat only with the occasional trawler and like a National Park, we love being there. Very quiet. Never in it's existence has there been any theft from cars or boats.
https://regentpointmarina.com

We feel safer with the boat inna slip when we are away as folks are always looking out for each other there, and it makes having our boat be a true "cottage on the bay" even if we don't go out everyday. Lot to be said for electric, water, facilities, not having to load and unload by dinghy. No boat has ever been sunk or significantly damaged by storms there as well protected.

Costs are all over the map and are based upon your locations. You can see the costs for us based upon Interlude's size on the marina website. We have a very full life outside of sailing thus we choose to pay for some services that we could do. To have our boat winterized, engine serviced, hauled, power washed, stored in yard for winter, hull prepped, sanded, painted, and retuned to slip sets us back a little over $100 monthly on a 12 month basis. If ever became a real problem would skip dinner out a couple times inna month.

Marina requires liability insurance, as they should. Insurance not required otherwise unless you are carrying a boat mortgage, no different than requirement for a house mortgage. Insurance amount was based upon declared value vis a vie book value. No special survey was required other than the one we had done prior to purchase. Insurance wanted a copy of that survey to confirm boat's seaworthiness for our home waters.

We leave our dorade vents adjusted to use the prevailing wind directions to provide supply air through one and exhaust air from the other when we are not present. If needed when on board we open all 10 ports, the hatches and companionway, or use a small window AC for those hot, humid, no wind days in the doldrums of summer. Obviously only at dock with shore power. If too hot, too little wind we don't go out or frankly even go down to the boat. If good weather we don't need any climate control while out! Our season runs April through November, though when younger and more immortal we sailed year round. Have other winter actives now and only go down a couple times in the winter to check on things (read excuse to hang around boats!)

The 16 now lives at home stored inside, but if we do take her back down to our marina she sits fully rigged ready to back into the water with ramp there and go. This convenience cost us $100 any month she sits on her trailer in the yard....also worth it.

There is no right answer, just right situations based upon location, and circumstances. The above works for us and hopefully can provide perspective on such.
post #26 of 66 Old 02-03-2020 Thread Starter

Lots of good ideas. I should note, I have had slips in the past, several. Some things I really liked, somethings I didn't. Ultimately I did switch to trailer sailing because there were some things I didn't like so much. But, like I mentioned trailer sailing might not work as well for me due to some different time pressures and there is no doubt trailer sailing takes lots of time.

I looked into moorings. I don't think it would work out for me. They are fairly uncommon around here. A handful of yachy clubs offer a few moorings, but marinas/clubs with slips are every where. St ill, I liked the idea so I have done some research on dropping my own mooring in a quiet bay somewhere near home, but being all navigable waters around here, it seems there are some beuracratic hoops I would have to jump through.

Mast up storage. I like it. This is what I did with my very first sailboat and it was pretty convenient. Any way, this has me looking at all kinds of hand launchable boats as that seems more convenient. Lots of nice little catamarans that would make pretty awesome family beach cruisers.
post #27 of 66 Old 02-03-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I doubt people have too much boat damage in slips, but, I always thought a mooring was more 'healthy' for a boat. There is nothing to run into, and the wind is always in the correct direction to continuously ventilate the boat (with the proper cowl vents).
Inland lakes are not the same as coastal waters with tidal currents. Your boat may not always point into the wind and that can be a problem if you leave your companionway open.

A bigger concern is the health of your neighbors’ mooring tackle in a storm. You might not run into anything, but your neighbors in the mooring field might.

That said, you CAN get damaged in a slip in a storm.
post #28 of 66 Old 02-03-2020
Senior Citizen

$400 is pretty expensive for a 21 foot boat.
I carry only liability insurance on a 24 footer for only 1 boat buck ($100) per year.
-CH
post #29 of 66 Old 02-05-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas H View Post
$400 is pretty expensive for a 21 foot boat.

I carry only liability insurance on a 24 footer for only 1 boat buck ($100) per year.

-CH
A boat buck is $1000.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Minnewaska likes this.
post #30 of 66 Old 02-05-2020
1968 Columbia 50

As a few others have mentioned, mast up storage might be what works well for you. We have one marina nearby that offers it, where you arrange(by phone call or email) to have you boat launched for you, and it would be ready and waiting for you when you arrive. It is wildly popular with the motorboat crowd, and they have around 50 or so clients use their service. The only drawbacks are that launch and haulout times are limited by the staff hours.

Here is a link to our local marina with the in/out service I am referring to, just for reference:
In/Out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in