LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 66 Old 02-05-2020
Senior Citizen

Re: Is paying for a slip worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
A boat buck is $1000.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
WOW! I didn't realize I was such a tightwad. It's not a C-note anymore?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 66 Old 02-06-2020

I'll just offer that it's a great idea to have insurance regardless of trailering or keeping your boat in storage or a slip. Liability, at the very least, is worth having.

Jim
post #33 of 66 Old 02-06-2020

We made the move from a 21' trailer sailer last year to a 31' boat on a mooring. The move has been incredible. We sailed the 21' boat for years and had a really good process down for setup/takedown...but it was always a late Sunday drive home with the headache of emptying the boat, etc. I don't miss it one bit.

We chose a mooring vs slip for the solitude it offers. It was initially for the cost savings and availability, but after spending the first season on the mooring we agreed that we will never want a slip.

Regarding location: We chose a spot that is just under 2 hours away (Casco Bay, Maine) because the sailing is simply outstanding. We could have spent less for a place to sail in NH that is only 45 mins away, but we'd deal with a current and the sailing get's boring.

Check back into those yacht clubs..it's definitely worth the effort to investigate what it would take to join and use one of their moorings.

post #34 of 66 Old 02-06-2020

If available mast up storage is the way to go. We have a 25’ fin keel boat that we had to strap launch. Me and the wife got launch and retrieval down to about 10 min. Was about $100 per month to store. The good side is no bottom paint, no sink in the slip worries, no sail drive corrosion, and cheap. We just moved to an area where there is no dry sail mast up storage. Lots of slips though. Boat is in the backyard cause I haven’t had time to get the bottom paint on, re do the thru hull fittings and a ton more to get it ready for a slip. So, we bought a power boat on a trailer. Very sad.
post #35 of 66 Old 02-07-2020

I had liability only on my ‘74 Cheoy Lee 40’ through Boat US, about $100 a year, no survey required.
post #36 of 66 Old 02-07-2020

Lightbulb Re: Is paying for a slip worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas H View Post
WOW! I didn't realize I was such a tightwad. It's not a C-note anymore?
A "Boating Unit of Currency" is $100. equals a BUC, until the boat length gets beyond the mid-20's. When we moved from a 26 footer to our present 34 footer we found that the proper 'exchange rate' for a BUC was more like $1000.

Same rationale tho...... spouse asks about an expenditure on the family watercraft and you casually reply that it was "...Only a few BUC's...."

Or as someone once stated, "Fun costs money, boys; How much fun do you want to have?" (That might have been from Ted Turner, but I am not certain.)

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon
post #37 of 66 Old 02-07-2020 Thread Starter

I might have found something, a mooring. It's at a dinghy/hobie club. No docks, just a sand beach. Most members keep their oats on dolleys and hand launch but the club has a couple dozen moorings for members with somewhat larger boats. You beach when you need to pick people/stuff up. That's fine by me, my boat was designed for beaching. Pretty decent sized lake. Probably about 20 square miles with some uninhabited islands with beaches for week end cruises.
post #38 of 66 Old 02-07-2020

I trailer sailed a 22’ for many years. Yes it was a PITA but saved $. However, factoring the hassle just to go home after a long day of sailing I don’t think I’d do it again. I eventually put that 22’ in a slip and sailed four to five days a week due to convenience. Sweet sunset sails right after work became possible. After that, the 25/27 and 30 had to be in a slip. The current 34 spends three weeks at anchor and one week at a slip. (Different Situation than you) So IMHO it depends on how much you sail or use the boat. For us, the boat was a part of our lives so lots of time and planning involved the boat. For others, it’s a couple times a month thing. If that were the case, I’d save the $ and just trailer her. As others have said in many threads, a boat is almost always a horrible investment money wise. You pay for convenience, fun, sanity and/or relaxation/ memories with cash or sweat. No way around one or the other. AA

SV Salinity
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #39 of 66 Old 02-07-2020
Senior Citizen

I changed insurance carriers for my autos and home. My agent told me that liability insurance for boats under 26 feet is covered by my homeowners policy. I dropped the policy from my previous carrier saving $100 (1 BUC)!
-CH

Last edited by Chas H; 02-07-2020 at 05:33 PM.
post #40 of 66 Old 02-09-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas H View Post
I changed insurance carriers for my autos and home. My agent told me that liability insurance for boats under 26 feet is covered by my homeowners policy. I dropped the policy from my previous carrier saving $100 (1 BUC)!
-CH
Boat buck ($1000)

https://www.soundingsonline.com/boat...the-extra-mile

https://sailmoonshadow.com/cruising-wiki/

Might also be aligned with the Bust Out Another Thousand, i.e., boat.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in