Is paying for a slip worth it? - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 66 Old 02-22-2020

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Is paying for a slip worth it?

What do you consider huge dock fees? What size boat / slip?

We keep Haleakula in a marina , but still sail a lot. While we like our dock neighbors and do some networking, we make it a point to get out sailing. You can always raft up anchored in a nice cove or dinghy over and have cocktails but still be out sailing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 66 Old 02-23-2020

I sail a Precision 23, which could be trailered whenever I want to sail, but for me a slip is worth it for the following reasons:

1. Its way easier to go sailing because you do not have to launch and retrieve, and rig and unrig your boat every time. This saves 1.5-2 hours per trip. This translates into going sailing a lot more, as in almost every week of the Summer vs. half a dozen times if trailering. It really is that big of a pita to trailer sail. Instead, with a slip, you just drive up, walk to your boat, check the rig, take the sail covers off, start the motor, and go.

2. Instead of having to drive a truck to pull the boat, I drive my car to and from the marina, which is a lot cheaper on gas and wear and tear on my tow vehicle. I figure that spending the $800 on a slip saves me a lot of money I'd spend on gas pulling my boat to and fro, so though its $800, its probably more like $600 after deducting the additional money driving my truck would cost, even though I'd probably sail only a handful of times per summer due to the pita it is to trailer sail.

3. Because of no. 1, its much easier to bring friends along sailing because they do not have to sit there and watch or help you rig and unrig, launch and retrieve. They are spending their time sailing. And it is much harder rigging and unrigging a 23 foot sloop if you are alone, which I am most of the time I go sailing. Not that I don't like single-handing. I may actually prefer it.

If you look at it from a perspective of how much it costs per hour of sailing, it might be cheaper to slip because you will be sailing a lot more and the added costs spread out over the additional hours of enjoyment may result in a lower cost per hour, and much more enjoyment.

I am sure there are more great reasons, but these are the main ones. For me, with a boat this big, there is no question a slip is the better way to go. If I had an 18 footer it might be different, but I enjoy the bigger boat.
Tuna Driver likes this.

Last edited by johnnyonthespot; 02-23-2020 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Add some thoughts.
post #53 of 66 Old 02-23-2020

I pay $14 a foot. Which for me is just a little over $11 a day. But it is all relative to your income how you feel about it. I really love being at the Marina and on a larger boat now but when I was younger the trailer sailer was just a blast.

post #54 of 66 Old 02-23-2020 Thread Starter

$14 per foot? $80-90 seems standard within a couple hours of here. My closest maina is just over $100/ft, they do have a saltwater pool, but still.

Thats for a 6 month season.
post #55 of 66 Old 02-23-2020

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
$14 per foot? $80-90 seems standard within a couple hours of here. My closest maina is just over $100/ft, they do have a saltwater pool, but still.

Thats for a 6 month season.
We are 78/ft for yer round slip. Reasonable for this area.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #56 of 66 Old 02-23-2020

Summer slips in LIS area are very spendy... very - $3,000 - $5,000. A mooring will cost from $750 - 2,000. In water storage is about $1,500 for a mid 30 foot boat.

Of course there are disadvantages to trailering a boat... but there are some advantages as well.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #57 of 66 Old 02-23-2020

Ugh. We just paid something like $160-$170 per foot for May to Oct here. The only good news is that our current marina doesn't enforce opening and closing day at all. If you're early or late, they're fine. That may only apply to those of us that winter store too, which is extra.

The one thing I'd push back on is that folks on smaller boats or on trailers sail more. Some do. While it's true that it takes a bit of prep for me to be ready to slip the lines (maybe 15 minutes), it's much easier than launching any trailer, by far. I also think of my slip neighbor when people say that so many boats never leave the slip. He sails weekly, but nearly refuses to sail on weekends, when everyone else is around. Appearances can be deceiving.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #58 of 66 Old 02-23-2020 Thread Starter

I don't sail more since I started trailer sailing. When I kept my 30 footer in a slip I sailed almost daily. Too much work to do that with a trailer sailor.

However, I do sail to more interesting places with the trailer sailor. At 60 mph I can cover a lot of distance in a day.

I took the year off work in 2018 and did a ton of trailer sailing. Trailered over 6000 miles in one year.
post #59 of 66 Old 02-23-2020

Maybe this comment should start a new thread...

Getting Going.

The amount of time to "get going" .. sailing is a variable for sure. I trailered boat has to be rigged... launched... the vehicle parked... and presumably some things placed on board... then you can motor the boat to a place to raise the sails and sail. This probably takes from 45 min to 1.5 hrs

A slipped boat is a variable depending on how much prep is needed to get out of the slip to a place to raise the sails and then go. It will involve stowing provisions, things like clothing, towels, sheets and so on... anything brought to the boat such as parts for a project... taking out gear like PFDs, harness, removing canvas covers, fenders, dock lines and stowing them. It may involve doing something with the dink. Check the engine, turn on the instruments and radio...then a review of the weather and tide and some sort of plan and you are off! This probably takes from 45 min to 1.5 hrs.

A moored boat will involve time to get to the boat from the shore... a launch or a tender... loading that up with provisions... and then unloading at the boat. It may involve various stops at other boats. At the boat you have to stow what you brought, stow loose things which will fall when you heel. remove covers and take out safety gear... prepare the dink for towing or raise it on davits or on the deck. Check the engine, turn on the instruments and radios...then a review of the weather and tide and some sort of plan, drop the mooring lines and you are off! This probably takes from 45 min to 1.5 hrs.

Getting a boat going is nothing like going to your garage and driving off in your car. This probably takes from 5 min.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #60 of 66 Old 02-23-2020

Thoughts? You bet. I’ve trailer sailed Catalina 18s for several years. Had a slip for two years, switched to powerboat in a slip for one, then trailered another 18 for another season. If you can afford it, do it. I doubt you’ll ever go back to trailer sailing. 45 minutes in, 45 minutes out, always in the blazing sun. No thanks. Hell, just bending on the sails is drudgery. Drive your two seater or motorcycle to the marina, have a cold one, and enjoy. Ripped my toe open once during tear down, that was it for me. Boat stays nicer when you trailer, but I’m a bit fussy. If you’re in good fresh water (Huron for me) I’d think twice about antifouling. BTW, why the surveyor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in