Join Date: Nov 2019
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Re: Propane Accident on a Vlog
A good friend was killed and his wife badly burned in a propane explosion a few years ago. The supply line into their stove/oven had a pinhole leak. Propane being heavier than air, the bilge filled with gas, as did the galley at floor level. Propane being virtually odorless, as well as down low, the leak went unnoticed until he opened the oven door to check on dinner.
Massive instantaneous ignition.
He took the brunt full force in the galley. She, reading in the salon, had her feet and legs severely and deeply burned from the torch-like flame that shot out of an a/c grille.
They both miraculously got out, but he died a week later from complications.
I have a propane fume detector in the galley, with the sensor at floor level. All hoses and fittings, the tank and the tank solenoid were all replaced.
To get gas to the stove requires (1) the tank valve be opened, (2) switch on at the breaker panel, (3) press button at the system status display on the galley bulkhead, and (4) open manual shut off under the galley sink.
I was refitting my then new to me 30 year old ketch. My redoing the propane system was done before the accident, but it sure drove home the notion that you canít be too careful.
Carbon monoxide detectors on boats are required by some states in the US, but to my knowledge smoke alarms and fume detectors are not by any. IMO all three should be.
If youíve gotten this far, Iím sorry for the lengthy response. But this oneís for Tom.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk