Portland Oregon Columbia River - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 07-22-2014

Re: Portland Oregon Columbia River

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garymass01 View Post
Hi there

Please can someone help with a bit of information that I nead. How long + or - would the trip take to sail from Hood River to Lewiston, Idaho, with good weather permitting in early November. And would there be any restrictions during that time of the year.

Thank you
I haven't sailed up that far, but I'm chiming in just to say that I wouldn't count on good weather in November! September & October would be better bets if you could swing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 07-22-2014

Holy Revival threads batman. .. I can not help you with any specifics but you will be going against a noticeable current the whole way my times on the columbia near portland we never make more then about 3-4 knots headway going up river so call it maybe 40 miles a day. its about 350 miles by road not that much different on the water so I would say at least 10 days. we can get some pretty good wind and rain storms in november around here so you might get to a point where you want to stop for a few days. and there are not a lot of places to stop so good planning is a must.

that being said I have been thinking about that trip my self maybe next season but not that late in the year.

We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates
post #13 of 15 Old 07-23-2014

You're in the South Puget Sound and you want to cruising on the Columbia?

I'm down on the Columbia and want to sail up there! (although the wind is much better on the Columbia)

post #14 of 15 Old 08-06-2015

So I could sail from the Pacific and turn starboard at the Snake River confluence to sail all the way to Lewiston, Idaho; but how far could I cruise past the Snake up the Columbia River itself (and hopefully back down in one piece)? NOAA has charts for the entire Lewiston journey, but nothing for the Columbia above the Snake for a great distance, then more charts for the upper Columbia in northeastern Washington State to the Canadian border. Does that mean the uncharted stretch is so commonly navigable as to need none, or that I'd have to hire Paul Bunyan to portage for me from Tri-Cities to the upper reaches?
post #15 of 15 Old 08-06-2015

Location: Beaverton, OR by way of Palmas Del Mar, Puerto Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by casioqv View Post
(snip)... and stay really far from sand bars. There's a lot of sand bars in the Columbia and they move rapidly- you can easily go aground on one that has moved considerably from it's previous location. There's also a lot of logs floating down the river. And then there's the commercial barge traffic- never cross the bow of a moving barge.
yes yes -and I will add the wing dams....oy vey....the wing dams....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in