2284Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #3101 of 5353 Old 11-03-2015
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

Re: Production Boats and the Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
It seems to me that it is you that is confused:

You mean the Saga 43 a very popular production boat and sold 55 boats till it go bankrupt some 10 years later or so? That does not seem to me the definition of a very popular sailboat. Don't you think that if they went bankrupt was because there was not a number enough of sailors interested on that boat?
Well, Jeanneau almost went under in 1995 - a bankruptcy court handled the sale to Group Beneteau. Or how about Dehler? - went under and then bought by Hanse. Heck, there are plenty of rumours around about Beneteau's river of red ink.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3102 of 5353 Old 11-03-2015
Senior Moment Member

Don't you think that if they went bankrupt was because there was not a number enough of sailors interested on that boat?

Apparently you have never heard of bad management.

There's always been a lot of it in the boatbuilding business - kind of like restaurants - everyone who likes eating good food thinks they can run a restaurant and everyone who likes working on boats thinks they can run a boatyard.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #3103 of 5353 Old 11-03-2015
Senior Moment Member

Bob's McDonalds reference is right on point AFAIAC - name anything that satisfies mass market tastes and is also the "best".

The mass market buys what marketing departments tell them is the newest and best.

Paulo has swallowed that particular hook so deeply it's snagged on his colon.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

post #3104 of 5353 Old 11-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I find a lot of 70-80's boat interiors just as ugly as that 70's living room.
Don... agree with what you say here... if the interiors and layout of these 70-80's or for that matter 50'-60's boats were so popular why are they not in the existing 'new' boats being shown at the boat shows?

The reason they are not is because 'tastes' have changed and NA/Designers of these new boats know the target they are after...

Bob and other boat designers design products whose customers lean towards those tastes... but they're not mine or others and our opinions matter as much as those that oppress the newer designs as being worthless because they are designed more efficiently or using the latest design technologies (Ikea interiors, latest cleat gizmos, boom furling, etc.).

I love our Hunter and have since upgraded the entire interior to rid the mid 80's look and now has the look of a 2010-2015 interior with all LED's, non alcohol stove, electric head, ultraleather cushions, new teak floors, I want to change the glossy wood panels to satin finish later... we will keep our Hunter for the next several years while we decide the route for our next new boat but it will not be a 70's-90's boat that is for sure.... Who knows it might have the IKEA look to it already and be of 'contemporary' design...
post #3105 of 5353 Old 11-03-2015
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post

The mass market buys what marketing departments tell them is the newest and best.
I'm pretty sure the mass market buys mostly based on value (which isn't just price).

But there's always a market for high end stuff. People with money will always find a way to justify it, some even willing to just admit that it is because they can.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3106 of 5353 Old 11-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I guess that it was typical mass American taste on the 70's but you should not confound that with what the best American Architects were designing at that time. It is not fair for them at all. Search for Charles Moore and California Ranch.
Paulo... That was my playboy pad in West Palm Beach after FSU... Many a good times spent there with friends and girlfriends.... At the time it was 'State of the Art' and the same can be said of homes designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.... but you won't see homes built that way today because 'tastes' have changed!
bobperry likes this.

Last edited by guitarguy56; 11-03-2015 at 02:32 PM.
post #3107 of 5353 Old 11-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I'm pretty sure the mass market buys mostly based on value (which isn't just price).

But there's always a market for high end stuff. People with money will always find a way to justify it, some even willing to just admit that it is because they can.
And.... I bet 90% of products in Jon's home have been mass marketed to him as well and he bought line-hook-sinker as well...
post #3108 of 5353 Old 11-03-2015
PCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slap View Post
Well, Jeanneau almost went under in 1995 - a bankruptcy court handled the sale to Group Beneteau. Or how about Dehler? - went under and then bought by Hanse. Heck, there are plenty of rumours around about Beneteau's river of red ink.
Jeanneau and Dehler went under due to bad management and the reason they were recovered was that the boats they built were boats sailors wanted (the market) and therefore with a good management it would be possible to make them solid and lucrative again.

They are solid and lucrative again doing great boats:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3109 of 5353 Old 11-03-2015
PCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by amwbox View Post
Anything that is produced in its own time is "state of the art",.
No, in fact most of the things that are produced today are not state of the art. If you don't know the meaning of the word look at the dictionary:

"The term "state of the art" refers to the highest level of general development, as of a device, technique, or scientific field achieved at a particular time"

Only the best that is produced at a given time can be considered "state of the art".

post #3110 of 5353 Old 11-03-2015
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
Don... agree with what you say here... if the interiors and layout of these 70-80's or for that matter 50'-60's boats were so popular why are they not in the existing 'new' boats being shown at the boat shows?
Boats in the 1970s and 1980s were designed to the IOR rule. The IOR rule isn't relevant anymore.

Quote:
The reason they are not is because 'tastes' have changed and NA/Designers of these new boats know the target they are after...

Bob and other boat designers design products whose customers lean towards those tastes... but they're not mine or others and our opinions matter as much as those that oppress the newer designs as being worthless because they are designed more efficiently or using the latest design technologies (Ikea interiors, latest cleat gizmos, boom furling, etc.).
Boom furling? Don't you mean in mast furling? It's easy to understand why some don't like in mast furling - less sail area, less efficient sail shape, more weight high up, more chance of something going wrong (and harder to fix), sail needs to be replaced sooner, can't depower the sail by mast bend.
The Following User Says Thank You to slap For This Useful Post:
noelex77 (11-03-2015)
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in