Production Boats and the Limits - Page 327 - SailNet Community
 2283Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #3261 of 5353 Old 11-04-2015
PCP

Re: Production Boats and the Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Quote PCP:"What I can tell you, for sure, is that this daysailer, with about the same length, but with no aesthetic concessions that degrade performance, is a much faster sailboat and will have a much lower PHRF. OK?"

You are telling me nothing that is not obvious. Unfortunately my client did not want a Euro trendy boat. But you tell it in your snarky insulting way. You are clueless. You do not know enough about design to even guess at a PHRF number.

Quote PCP:
"Bob, that story about the PHRF makes no sense, why are you insisting on it?"

Just to point out to others that you are all mouth and zero substance. The moment things get specific you cry foul and try to move the goal posts.
Bob, when you quote me please make clear what is the quote and what you are saying not to have confusions about that. It can be like I have done above or you can use the quote system from the forum.

As I had said before you identify sail efficiency and state of the art design with what you call euro trendy. That's maybe because most of the European boats are designed to the state of the art?

Regarding that daysailer that you call a "Euro trendy design" maybe we should look again at it and compare it with the design of what should be one of the fastest monohull, the one designed for the Americas's cup (AC 90) and that never saw the light of the day, because cats made their appearance on the Cup:

So, trendy euro design? or sailing efficiency and state of the art?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-04-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3262 of 5353 Old 11-04-2015
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amwbox View Post
Oh, get over yourself. It was meant to be facetious and you bloody well know it. Its not as though I was subtle with how I phrased it. Keep up.

You're impressing nobody with this unwarranted personal attack. Grow up, man up, calm down, etc etc.

And, not that it matters, but I'm an astronaut. And part time underwear model. Just like everyone else on the interwebs.

(That was also facetious. Seems like I had better spell that out, just in case.)
Hey, show the gittar man a little respect - he has the demonstrated ability to know all about other posters here - their age, finances, education, work history, even the food they eat and the cars they drive.

Kind of like a dog sniffing another dogs a$$ I guess.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
The Following User Says Thank You to SloopJonB For This Useful Post:
amwbox (11-04-2015)
post #3263 of 5353 Old 11-04-2015
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
You do not know what you are talking about.
Bob is designing very high tech boats made out of high tech materials and people are throwing money at him to build these boats. He is enjoying the process, the friends he makes and the money they throw his way. If he can do that and not be very busy that is because he is very good at what he does. I understand completely because I do the same thing with aircraft and many other types of projects.
You on the other hand do not understand because people do not throw money your way to weld steel dumpsters together. most people with money do not throw it in a dumpster.
maybe your boom time has passed but ours is clearly still going strong.
What really does not make any sense is for people to throw money into a rusty bucket. But I guess not many are doing that are they.
You see very little rust on actively cruising steel boats. With modern epoxies, and lots of stainless trim, they are extremely easy to maintain. Plastic is great for marina queens( which describe the lions share of Bobs boats) but for hard, full time use , things on them work lose, leak and break ,something which simply doesnt happen with welded down gear.
If Bob is so busy, where doe he find the long hours of free time to spend here, as he obviously does.
For plastic , the market is saturated. For good , affordable steel boats, I'm the only show in town around here. Sure, it definitely is a much smaller market, as marina queen priorities is what most consumers need.

post #3264 of 5353 Old 11-04-2015
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
You see very little rust on actively cruising steel boats. With modern epoxies, and lots of stainless trim, they are extremely easy to maintain. Plastic is great for marina queens( which describe the lions share of Bobs boats) but for hard, full time use , things on them work lose, leak and break ,something which simply doesnt happen with welded down gear.
If Bob is so busy, where doe he find the long hours of free time to spend here, as he obviously does.
For plastic , the market is saturated. For good , affordable steel boats, I'm the only show in town around here. Sure, it definitely is a much smaller market, as marina queen priorities is what most consumers need.
Repeat after me.....Ad Nauseam

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #3265 of 5353 Old 11-04-2015
grumpy old man

He just never gets it Jon. He is so blind he can't see my current output and won't take the time to even look, He revels in his own stupidity. He is really like a broken record.
He is a very jealous little man.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 11-04-2015 at 08:00 PM.
post #3266 of 5353 Old 11-04-2015
grumpy old man

pcp:
I will post any way I like. You are the one who is confused. I think the rest here can understand me just fine.

You are a very frustrated man stuck in a very narrow world it seems. The world of yacht design does not end at the end of your nose.

If I client comes to me and asked for a certain style of boat it is my job to give him a boat in the style he wants. Read that again, really slowly this time.

" Oh I see, a narrow double ender. Well, no. I won't give you that. I don't care what you want. I'll give you a fat assed, me too, trendy looking Euro boat with a bow du jour so you can look just like all the other me too's out there. You take it and you'll like it. I want this and this is what you will have. In two years it will be out of style but that's not my problem."

I really should add some German phrases here but I think you get the gist without them.

Look at my half dozen current projects. It's hard to find a common style thread that runs through all of them. They are very individual designs. They are my style, varied and different. I am not trying to be Euro trendy.
copacabana likes this.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 11-04-2015 at 08:03 PM.
post #3267 of 5353 Old 11-04-2015
Less Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Yes, an old cruising boat will require crew. I see a lot of brand new big boats being sailed just by a couple and they are increasing in numbers.
And they better hope like hell nothing goes wrong with any of their gadgets and that the local coasties are close when they do. You don't have to make good choices to be on the water, and when it comes to mechanical things and fashion, people that exceed a certain income level tend to make spectacularly bad choices.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
post #3268 of 5353 Old 11-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Hey, show the gittar man a little respect - he has the demonstrated ability to know all about other posters here - their age, finances, education, work history, even the food they eat and the cars they drive.

Kind of like a dog sniffing another dogs a$$ I guess.
Jon... you have put quite a little show here... It seems you are so envious of others you stoop to this level of childish banter... I know what a jackass is and hope this wasn't you... but alas with the comments you just made it confirms it!
post #3269 of 5353 Old 11-04-2015
Banned

I don't see any rusty steel boats on the beaches here ,but they are becoming increasingly littered with broken up plastic boats. I do remember
one rusty steel boat ( Trismus) which was washed up in the Tuamotus. Sat there for ten years before the natives got her off, and immediately started using her for moving
coconuts around. The other 35 plastic boats which went aground there the same year ( 1975)broke up in minutes.
post #3270 of 5353 Old 11-04-2015
Banned

The owner of Trismus gave up on her, and was later lost at sea, while crossing the Atlantic in a plastic boat. He shoulda stuck with steel!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in