Production Boats and the Limits - Page 377 - SailNet Community
 2283Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #3761 of 5353 Old 11-11-2015

One of our dock mates bought a french boat three years ago. This spring the boat was launched and immediately began to take on water. The boat was hauled and it was discovered the hull was cracked along the centerline. Being three years old it was out of warranty and the repair cost fell to the owner. During the repair it was found the crack was a manufacturing defect but the manufacturer still refused to pay.

Be careful what you buy, especially when spending upwards of $750,000.
Brent Swain likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3762 of 5353 Old 11-11-2015

Re: Production Boats and the Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Then I see that boat stuck in the blue bridge.First thought was ,Gee , I wonder if he considers himself a blue water seaman.?
He may be an excellent and experienced blue water sailor. That would not give him experience squeezing through air holes with solid land on three sides and water under. :-)

You only have to worry about hitting land structures when you are near land............ very near!
smackdaddy and Brent Swain like this.
post #3763 of 5353 Old 11-11-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
One of our dock mates bought a french boat three years ago. This spring the boat was launched and immediately began to take on water. The boat was hauled and it was discovered the hull was cracked along the centerline. Being three years old it was out of warranty and the repair cost fell to the owner. During the repair it was found the crack was a manufacturing defect but the manufacturer still refused to pay.

Be careful what you buy, especially when spending upwards of $750,000.
boat is Ok when it comes out of the water and cracked sitting on the hard. how does that happen? more to the story we are not being told.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

post #3764 of 5353 Old 11-11-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgenl View Post
What about yourself, Mast?

How many offshore miles do you have under your belt?
Well over 10,000 offshore miles, over the last 45 years. These are only the ones that I have official documentation for, like from clearing into and out of countries, miles on passages needed for licences/permits, and other official paperwork. Not much compared to some others on this site, I know, but not a complete newb either.

But why do you even ask? What if I were a newb, to use the term that Smackdaddy likes to apply to those that he attempts to teach with his 'educational' threads like this one? Would I not have the right to ask the big teacher the sources from which his wisdom springs?

So, Smack, still haven't heard from you.

At how many occasions have you succeeded to avoid those pesky bridges and instead taken the manly offshore route, as you claim is your wont?

And we still haven't heard about how many miles/days you have sailed out of the sight of land. In your whole freaking life.
Brent Swain likes this.
post #3765 of 5353 Old 11-11-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Smack has done a ton of internet research these past 7 years. He's been pretty good at it from time to time and very misguided on others.

A few take aways.

First, without practical experience, one can achieve knowledge, but not wisdom. He is indeed a newb himself. He hasn't answered the experiential query, which is not intended to degrade him, but to put his wisdom in context. Smack no longer wants to be viewed as only a 7 year sailor with virtually no cruising experience, which is why he won't answer the question and attempts to lampoon it. That's narcissism.

Smack has seemed to evolve from being inquisitive to authoritative, in his own mind, on several subjects, particularly in this thread. He props up his own view, by altering the view of others and refusing to answer questions that would degrade his position. For a bit, I thought it was just a game, but now believe it's how he achieves his self-worth. That would be sad, wouldn't it. Questions about him are only relevant so that the newb, as he pointed out, would know who's advice they are reading.

When you discuss or disagree with Smack's position, you are doomed to being called silly or stupid or a chucklehead. He walks right up to the line of forum posting rules, if not crosses them routinely. He knows them well, as he's been banned virtually everywhere else and temporarily here. It's like the loud funny kid in the corner, that everyone eventually gets tired of. I, for one, am tired of him. If he would cut the nonsense, particularly the name calling, and come here as a sailor, like everyone else, that would be terrific. I'm afraid it's hard to get through to juveniles, but we may be surprised.
A very good analysis. I entirely agree that Smackdaddy has potential and it is a real shame that he wastes it in such a non-productive (and annoying) way. He really could contribute something valuable here if he could get over his antics.
post #3766 of 5353 Old 11-11-2015 Thread Starter
Banned

You guys really seem obsessed with me. That's not healthy. First, off I've never claimed to be a "teacher" or "expert" (like Maine was trying to challenge me to be). I think that's how you guys seem to look at yourselves on most subjects...and why you get so offended when someone disagrees with you. I have opinions, strong ones at times, I state those opinions very clearly, I do a lot of research on those opinions, which most of you whiny guys don't do. On the other hand, JonE, BobP, JeffH, PCP, Maine etc. are always willing to put in the legwork - even though they don't have to. You guys don't. You just whine - mostly about me. And even though I rarely agree with JonE (for example) I have HUGE respect for him. But that doesn't mean I'm going to take everything he says as gospel. Same with even guys like Maine or even Jeff. That's not how things work - especially on more subjective matters. But do you see JonE whining? No. You see him presenting his side of the arguments and fighting back as true sailors should and do. It's all in good fun - and it's actually very educational for anyone reading along. You should take lessons from these guys and do something meaningful...or at least stop pissing in pockets like some of these other newer guys. That doesn't help anyone.

As for my current miles, I've documented 2,160 in the last 6 years since I started sailing. Of that, 1,540 are offshore (out of the sight of land even) on races and/or deliveries in the Gulf of Mexico. I've either co-skippered and/or skippered most of those miles. Over the next 3 summers, my sons and I plan to cover another couple of thousand as we continue our planned Carib cruise. Then we'll decide where to go next after that.

So, if all goes well (which is certainly never a given - that much I know), I will be nearing 5K miles by the time I reach 10 years of sailing. If I keep that up, I'll be WAY up there in another 35 years - like you, just with more miles. But I'll still be WAY less whiny.

So what's your point again?

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-11-2015 at 03:34 PM.
post #3767 of 5353 Old 11-11-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Of that, 1,540 are offshore (out of the sight of land even) on races and/or deliveries
And to think, you were just calling me "junior" the other day.

I love the interwebs.

"Freedom is the increased knowledge of what you can do without." —Thoreau
post #3768 of 5353 Old 11-11-2015 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amwbox View Post
And to think, you were just calling me "junior" the other day.

I love the interwebs.
When it comes to SN, you are a "junior" - regardless of how many miles you've sailed (that's how this works, right?). So, put up something meaningful to the discussion instead of just pissing in pockets or sniping at me and we can go from there.

I have no problem being honest about where I stand. I have a lot more miles than most a lot less than some. That's fine with me. The real issue is, the number of miles one has typically has little to do with whether his opinion on something is infallible. That's why there are always disagreements and discussions.

And in any case, I'm the perfect representative of those who look at these issues from a new perspective. Right or wrong. Because I'm doing it.

So, as always, throw out your opinion. I'll either agree with it - or I won't. And the proof will be in the ocean.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-11-2015 at 03:29 PM.
post #3769 of 5353 Old 11-11-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
.....and why you get so offended when someone disagrees with you...
Please...... the offense only starts after you start calling names or referring to others input as stupid.

It's like that little kid that keeps tweaking someone in class and when they burst, he points a finger at them and tries to tell the teacher it was their fault. Grow up.

Quote:
You guys don't. You just whine.
Not in much of a reconciliatory mood, are you. I can think of several examples I've given you, where you were dead wrong. I've seen everyone you mentioned do the same. The response has always been name calling, or in some instances, you just never answered, changed the subject or twisted the facts to support your position.

Quote:
....fighting back as true sailors should and do...
In over 40 years on the water, I've found sailors to generally be more mature. Even young ones.

Quote:
It's all in good fun.
Are you listening? Fun is not a one way street.

Doesn't matter if you find it fun, or whether you claim to have respect for your opponent. I don't think most find you fun anymore. You've morphed from the fun goofball to someone insisting they are right and everyone else is "stupid". Your word. And you've become vindictive, when you feel you were wronged (read waterway guide review). Not fun. You've let it go to your head.

Quote:
Over the next 3 summers, my sons and I plan to cover another couple of thousand as we continue our Carib cruise. Then we'll decide where to go next after that.
Be careful with your boys in FL and/or the Caribbean in the summer months, particularly as you experience a cruise like this for the first time. Unlike us, they have no choice, but to trust you and the choices you make. I suspect you'll learn quite a bit along the way and I hope it goes well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3770 of 5353 Old 11-11-2015 Thread Starter
Banned

So like I said - there are some that are obsessed with me and can think of nothing else (and that's not necessarily a bad thing - heh-heh).

Look Minne, if I'm proven "dead wrong" - I admit it. I just did so in the WG thread. I have no problem with that - it just happens very rarely. But again, when it comes to just personal battles, I'm not interested. I've not called any specific person "stupid", etc. I've directed that at certain statements - which certainly can be stupid (I'm sure you think that about some of my own - and I could probably even find examples). Also I think if someone is actually offended by the term "chucklehead" or "silly" - they really need to harden up. I've already been called much worse. So if you guys want to continue this particular line of discussion - take it FightClub. Otherwise, put up your best on Production Boats and we'll continue the conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Be careful with your boys in FL and/or the Caribbean in the summer months, particularly as you experience a cruise like this for the first time. Unlike us, they have no choice, but to trust you and the choices you make. I suspect you'll learn quite a bit along the way and I hope it goes well.
Trust me - I will. And thanks for the kind words, Minne.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-11-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in