Does this sound like a realistic plan? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 06-06-2011

You can do it!!

Last edited by pistonbully; 06-06-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 06-06-2011

Don't get me wrong I understand it was probably the exception to the rule but last year I paid $1000 for my C-26 that had about $10k worth of up grades done before i bought it that had no problem teaching me to costal sail. It made it all the way down the ICW from from Va. to Florida. Only real money I put into it was for good used sails after shreading the ones that came on it during a storm.

I've meet familys living on boats under the 30' range for years and have blue water sailed them.

You can do it if you want.
post #13 of 17 Old 06-06-2011

For inspiration, info and details, go to Donna Lange's site at Donna Lange the Musician, the Sailor

She circumnavigated solo on a very slim budget in a 29 footer.

Dave

post #14 of 17 Old 06-08-2011
Pearson Commander

James Baldwin has a good list of seaworthy (older) boats that are mostly in your price range.

Atom Voyages | Voyages Aboard the Sailboat Atom -* Good Old Boats List - choosing a* small voyaging sailboat

My personal thought would be a Pearson Ariel in as best condition as you can find, you probably wont have to pay over 10 grand for the boat itself (thats on the high end) But refitting to make it seaworthy is another issue entirely...

I have a Pearson Commander (Daysailer version of the Ariel) I bought the boat for 2 grand but will probably end up spending like 20 grand on top of that getting it to the point I want it....

Last edited by mceveritt; 06-08-2011 at 10:22 AM.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-08-2011
Sundance 23

Go for it. Wish I would have started earlier.

I've seen amazing prices on boats here in the Pac NW. You definitely have enough money, but as all have said here, be prepared to spend more cash on upgrading your boat. Not to bad if you go little by little as I did on my boat.

I have two live-aboard friends, and I love their lifestyle. I'm a simple day sailer, learning, spending more every day.

Water is Life
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 17 Old 06-08-2011

Your plan looks realistic to me
The size range you’re talking about will hive you headroom. You won’t get it below that in many boats. As boats get larger costs go up exponentially... big time.

The Flicka is an exception. Katie Burke and Bruce Bingham lived on their Flicka and wrote books and articles. Katie is the complete live aboard book. Flickas also have been used as an ocean cruiser single handled see the book Kawabunga goes to the South Seas (or something like that). Problem is that they’re a “classic” and quite high priced for their size.

To get the best value I’d look at a boat that already has a lot of what you’ll need. You never get a small fraction out of the $ you put into the upgrading when you sell. So you want a boat that’s had a lot of TLC and on which the owner’s lavished their upgrading on. Neglected boasts can be a costly disaster.

If getting an older boat look at one that’s been re-powered. That’s a huge cost thing.

Boat price depreciation usually flattens out a the 7 year point. In this economy howevrer you may find someone who really needs to get out of their boat. Ocean cruisers sometimes dump their boats at destinations e.g. Lauderdale, Hawaii etc.

Sounds like you're ready. Don’t overthink it and just do it. A lot of much less experienced people have pulled it off OK. And a lot of more experienced people have delayed their time away by waiting ot get everything just right. Then thier lives change and the opportunity passes

Walt Elliott
Kingston WA
Puget Sound
Cal-29
post #17 of 17 Old 06-21-2011

Send a message via Skype™ to cbtucker
I look forward to hearing how this all works out for you. I too am looking into potentially living aboard. And I'm starting from scratch. Looking at taking some lessons on Lake Erie, then sailing on charters or maybe even a friend's boat (although he's on the west coast so that's a bit of a haul for a lesson or 3 ). I too, plan on this taking years to figure out if it's the lifestyle for me, and then what type of boat will work for me and my budget. So I look forward to reading your updates on how it went, and what boat you ended up with and why.

Tux

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1 man on a mission to live the dream!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in