Economic situation in the Caribbean - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 10-28-2011
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

I have chosen to retire to the Caribbean after a liveaboard stint there in the 90s. I have been cruising from the USVI down to Trinidad for the last two years and feel safe.

The only place in the Caribbean that I would be reluctant to cruise just now on safety grounds is Venuzuela. With normal precautions I believe the rest is reasonably safe. By normal precautions I mean things like

if you must buy drugs or have locals work on your boat [ PAY THEM. [ There is hearsay evidence that at least two of the recent boaty murders were due to this. ]

Don't visit places like the housing projects in Charlotte Amalie

Be polite don't wear gold chains and carry small amounts of money.
canadianseamonkey likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 10-31-2011

See this article about a dramatic drop-off of tourist arrivals in Tobago. 60% drop in tourist arrivals | Tobago News | News

I suspect the same is being experienced across the Caribbean....

S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343
post #13 of 15 Old 10-31-2011
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

I am in Trinidad just now and despite the state of emergency feel safe here, but that is the reason behind the drop off.

In fact the curfew means that the music gets shut off at a civilised hour !

post #14 of 15 Old 10-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
I am in Trinidad just now and despite the state of emergency feel safe here, but that is the reason behind the drop off.

In fact the curfew means that the music gets shut off at a civilised hour !
Its a 5 year trend...and I think Tobago is not under curfew at all, only Trinidad urban areas proper.

S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343
post #15 of 15 Old 11-16-2011

Hate to keep dredging up this thread, but I was waiting for this to show up on the website. Cruising World recently had an article about where we sail - highlighting the authors surveys about where world cruisers are. In the article, he states increases in some areas like the South Pacific and even the Caribbean. Whats odd, though, is when you look at his actual data, the Caribbean registered a 20% *DOWNTURN* vs 2000.

The downturn aligns with my personal experience in the Caribbean, having family there and living on the doorstep of the Bahamas. Tourism is way down vs decades past, and the islands are losing their appeal as getaways due to overconstruction and destruction of the seclusion that they used to offer. Also, notices the *DRAMATIC* downturn of boats left on the hard in Trinidad...yowza.

I hope the folks in T&T Chagaramas get their act together. Its my adopted country, and nothing would encourage me more to see it better than it is today with crime, gangs, and drugs out of control

S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343

Tags
caribbean , cruising

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in