How soon are they out of diapers? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 Old 10-01-2014

Re: How soon are they out of diapers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Not diapers, cloth is the way to go. Lots of little sails to bend on
Assumed this would eventually come up. While old school and more environmentally friendly, there is a reason disposables became so popular. Cleaning a dozen dirty cloth diapers per day on a boat would be a special kind of miserable.

I actually wondered if you could put them in a mesh bag and drag them behind the boat for a long while to help clean. Probably violates discharge laws. You would also need to figure out how to rinse well and soften before use again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 10-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Assumed this would eventually come up. While old school and more environmentally friendly, there is a reason disposables became so popular. Cleaning a dozen dirty cloth diapers per day on a boat would be a special kind of miserable.
What's the problem?

Hell, just wash them in the galley sink, as was done on REBEL HEART...

:-))
Minnewaska likes this.
post #33 of 40 Old 10-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
What's the problem?

Hell, just wash them in the galley sink, as was done on REBEL HEART...

:-))
and we see how well that turned out.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 40 Old 10-02-2014 Thread Starter
Closet Powerboater

Quote:

I actually wondered if you could put them in a mesh bag and drag them behind the boat for a long while to help clean. Probably violates discharge laws. You would also need to figure out how to rinse well and soften before use again.
I think you'd be ok because the discharge laws weren't creative enough to cover, well... crap like that!

Saltwater sores on the little one's bottoms would be a guarantee that youd be at least as miserable as the kids!
Minnewaska likes this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
post #35 of 40 Old 04-03-2016

In my experience three is about the age both my boys were potty trained. Good luck. Go sail!
post #36 of 40 Old 04-04-2016
Wish I never found SN!

Go now, do not wait. you will soon find there is a lot of young families sailing the world, some even get larger on passage. It does seem those with babies and very small children, tend to buddy boat with others in the same boat(pun intended), as we bump into the mob occasionally.

Simon

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Mediterranean
DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcoholic
post #37 of 40 Old 04-16-2016

The younger ones tend to emulate the older siblings. The trick is to make using the toilet an incentive. We used to reward them for using the toilet, little things like a small piece of chocolate, etc, but there are many other options. Put their potty by your toilet and demonstrate that it's no big deal. You may still need diapers at night but they become self sufficient in short time for daytime purposes. Keep a potty handy (i.e., in the cockpit ) so they do not hold it too long because they may not want to go to where the potty is located.
post #38 of 40 Old 04-16-2016
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
I also understand that boys still wet the bed for several years after giving up daytime diapers.
I worry that if I wait too long it will be me peeing the bed or wearing the diapers.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #39 of 40 Old 04-16-2016

Quote:
Cleaning a dozen dirty cloth diapers per day on a boat would be a special kind of miserable.

I can tell you the mesh bag trick didn't work for us when we tried it. The thought was to get the brown stuff off without having to scrub the diaper by hand. What DOES work is a pressure saltwater washdown pump for your anchor. Our washing routine was rinse the physical bits off with salt water, then wash in salt water with dish soap. Then rinse in heated fresh water. Wring out, and hang on the lifelines.

We used reusable diapers on two trips with our two month old. One trip was about a week long, great weather, and so they were able to dry after cleaning. It was oddly relaxing to get up in a calm secluded anchorage in the morning while mom and baby slept and do the diapers. Not even joking!

The other we were living onboard cruising for about a month, and 4-5 days in, we realized it wouldn't work. Had a huge backup of diapers that wouldn't dry as the weather didn't cooperate. At one point, they were strung on lines inside the salon. Fortunately we had a supply of well over 100 disposables stashed on board.

Not sure what we'll do this summer. Little guy will be just over one. Probably try reusables if the weather cooperates, and switch out when it doesn't!

Attached an obligatory pic of our boat Devoceans under sail with diapers up the backstay and on the lifelines in the cockpit.

post #40 of 40 Old 05-10-2016
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
I also understand that boys still wet the bed for several years after giving up daytime diapers. That's okay with us, we'll still untie the lines with bed peeers. Any thoughts, predictions, or tips from the more seasoned? MedSailor
My oldest was born to the boat and spent the first 12 years adventuring on various boats with me.
Loosing the diapers didn't make any impression on me, so I don't remember when it was, but the bed wetting had me at my wit's end.
On some island in the Pacific I happened to mention it to a local lady and she replied, "If there no water in the tank, she won't leak. Silly man!." No fluids after say 5pm, if bed time is nine, and the problem was solved in one night! For future reference.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in