Child Lifejacket: Help Needed - SailNet Community
Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 08-02-2015 Thread Starter

Child Lifejacket: Help Needed

Hi everyone,

Im new on the forums and I am hoping someone might be able to help me find some more information about the Crewsaver Supersafe 150N Air lifejacket.

The current lifejacket we have is very close to being outgrown and we need to find a suitable replacement very soon. From the specifications, the Supersafe 150N Air looks ideal, but we cannot seem to find any detailed feedback or reviews. One member on another forum kindly translated the only review we could find from German to English, however the review was not that useful.

I have searched (and posted) on various forums, checked back issues of various magazines, looked for customer reviews through retailers, as well as used Google, however we cant seem to find any information about how comfortable it is and if it is easy to use.

Would anyone please happen to know where I could find some user reviews or any other information about how comfortable and/or easy to use the lifejacket is? Does anyone have any experience with it?

Alternatively, could anyone possibly recommend an alternative lifejacket? Internet searches seem to indicate there is not really another lifejacket comparable to the Supersafe 150N Air, but I find this quite surprising, and thus I cant help but feel Im missing something!

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-02-2015

Re: Child Lifejacket: Help Needed

Mustang makes a solid line of kids life jackets. We've used them for several years now.

Josh
CVAT likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-02-2015

New fangled fancy life jackets are not for Kids! Stick to old fashioned reliable. K.I.S.S......Dale
CVAT likes this.

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!

Last edited by Lake Superior Sailor; 08-02-2015 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Add acronyme

post #4 of 15 Old 08-02-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_sailor View Post
Mustang makes a solid line of kids life jackets. We've used them for several years now.

Josh
Thanks for the suggestion. I just searched for the Mustang lifejackets but I think they only go up to 90lbs and were looking for a lifejacket for a girl who is about 100lbs (I should have mentioned that before sorry!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
New fangled fancy life jackets are not for Kids! Stick to old fashioned reliable. K.I.S.S......Dale
Im really sorry but Im not entirely sure I follow! Should we avoid the Crewsaver Supersafe? Please forgive my lack of understanding!

We like the Supersafe as it comes with a harness (among other reasons too), but if it means finding a better fitting, more comfortable, and easier to use lifejacket, we will accept buying a separate harness. So far weve looked at the other options available in the U.K. but have no knowledge of reputable manufacturers outside of Europe.

Any more suggestions or information would be a massive help. Thank you very much!
CVAT likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I just searched for the Mustang lifejackets but I think they only go up to 90lbs and were looking for a lifejacket for a girl who is about 100lbs (I should have mentioned that before sorry!).

Im really sorry but Im not entirely sure I follow! Should we avoid the Crewsaver Supersafe? Please forgive my lack of understanding!

We like the Supersafe as it comes with a harness (among other reasons too), but if it means finding a better fitting, more comfortable, and easier to use lifejacket, we will accept buying a separate harness. So far weve looked at the other options available in the U.K. but have no knowledge of reputable manufacturers outside of Europe.

Any more suggestions or information would be a massive help. Thank you very much!
100 pounds is a small adult size in most brands. She is ready for an adult PFD.

This looks hideously uncomfortable. I would rather be left at home.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #6 of 15 Old 08-02-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
100 pounds is a small adult size in most brands. She is ready for an adult PFD.
As much as we would like to have the option of choosing from adult lifejackets unfortunately we just dont. We recently tried an adult lifejacket rated at >40kg (about 90lbs) assuming it would be the solution but the fit was really poor. After we started looking we found most childrens lifejackets now come in sizes up to 50kg which, given the bad fit of the adult lifejacket, naturally made sense.

Weve known for a long time that buying a lifejacket because theyll grow into it should be avoided at all costs, so even the smallest adult sizes are (somewhat frustratingly) not an option.

Quote:
This looks hideously uncomfortable.
We really like the features of the Supersafe the rear d-ring attachment, the larger collar, and the option to add extra buoyancy and certainly believe they are worth paying for. Nonetheless, we are slightly reluctant to get it if these features would mean it is awkward for her to get it on and off, or if they would make it uncomfortable to wear.

In light of this were looking for any other lifejacket which has similar features and that people have experience with (or at least has been properly reviewed). We have no knowledge of non-European products, but if there is nothing really comparable to the Supersafe, then at least we know weve exhausted all the options!

Thanks very much again for the replies and for any further help it is greatly appreciated!
CVAT likes this.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-03-2015
Seor Member

I believe the statement about 'newfangled' jackets comes from the fact that in the US, children under 16 are not permitted to use an inflatable PFD.

I don't know about other areas....YMMV
The Following User Says Thank You to ottos For This Useful Post:
Rainier (08-03-2015)
post #8 of 15 Old 08-03-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottos View Post
I believe the statement about 'newfangled' jackets comes from the fact that in the US, children under 16 are not permitted to use an inflatable PFD.
Thanks for the explanation.

Coincidently, we have the same rule (plus always using a harness and tether). Shes never known any differently and we dont want to change things if we dont have to. The Supersafe would definitely fit her for the next 18 months but we dont want to overlook a better option if one exists!

We really appreciate all the help so far, and any other suggestions would be really helpful. Thanks very much again to anyone who can help!
post #9 of 15 Old 08-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier View Post
Thanks for the explanation.

Coincidently, we have the same rule (plus always using a harness and tether). She’s never known any differently and we don’t want to change things if we don’t have to. The Supersafe would definitely fit her for the next 18 months but we don’t want to overlook a better option if one exists!

We really appreciate all the help so far, and any other suggestions would be really helpful. Thanks very much again to anyone who can help!
The D-ring is in the back? I suggest that you clip your harness from the back for a few weeks, with a pillow behind your head, and try to work. Then try to release yourself, as though you were caught in the rigging and trying to keep from drowning.

There is zero chance I could actually use this. I'm sure others will feel differently, but try clipping the back and let us know what you think. This is for kids that will not be permitted to leave the cockpit, not for a young adult that is learning to be crew. There are good reasons no adult PFD is clipped in the back. I only used a clip-in-back harness with my daughter until she no longer required a full body harness.

I suggest looking for a paddling jacket that you can wear a harness under. That worked for my daughter when she was that age. Most of the time, only one or the other is needed.

IMHO

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

Last edited by pdqaltair; 08-03-2015 at 10:40 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-04-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

Quote:
The D-ring is in the back?
Yes - the D-ring is in the back and is part of the harness which is attached to her lifejacket.

Quote:
I suggest that you clip your harness from the back for a few weeks, with a pillow behind your head, and try to work. Then try to release yourself, as though you were caught in the rigging and trying to keep from drowning.

There is zero chance I could actually use this. I'm sure others will feel differently, but try clipping the back and let us know what you think. This is for kids that will not be permitted to leave the cockpit, not for a young adult that is learning to be crew. There are good reasons no adult PFD is clipped in the back. I only used a clip-in-back harness with my daughter until she no longer required a full body harness.
I completely understand your point however she has never really been interested in learning to crew. She loves being on the boat but spends most of her time either talking, reading, or listening to music; we enjoy doing the legwork and are happy knowing she can relax and wants to spend time with us. As such she doesnt move about as often as we do so having her tether in the back isnt an inconvenience for her or us; she is completely ok with having us clip her in and out, and we feel better knowing she is always safe.

Quote:
I suggest looking for a paddling jacket that you can wear a harness under. That worked for my daughter when she was that age.
Thanks very much for the suggestion.

We had a brief look at some paddling lifejackets today, but could not find any rated to 100N. Also, we could not find any with flotation collars (which I guess makes sense given their intended purpose). Ideally we want to avoid lifejackets without a collar as we feel much better knowing should the worst happen and she is unconscious, that her head would be supported out of the water.

Of course we have only looked briefly and well continue to search for some paddling jackets with a collar and a higher buoyancy rating. Are there any brands we should specifically look at or avoid in terms of quality and reputation (so far we have looked at Salus Marine and Extrasport)?

Also, you mentioned that if we get a separate harness and lifejacket that the harness should be worn under the lifejacket. All her lifejackets have always had the harness either built-in or attached to the jacket itself so the D-ring has always been easily accessible. Please forgive my lack of understanding, but if the harness is under the lifejacket, how do you connect the tether (and ensure it is positioned safely)?

I can understand how it might be possible to clip the tether to the front of the harness and then put on the lifejacket, but I cant see a way of being able to safely connect the tether in the back. Would it not be easier to wear the harness over the lifejacket?

Im sorry for the lengthy message and if Im missing something! We hugely appreciate the help thanks very much again!

Tags
crewsaver , kids , lifejacket , safety

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in