First sailboat for a very tall guy with a very tall family - Page 3 - SailNet Community
Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 09-16-2015

Re: First sailboat for a very tall guy with a very tall family

Check out the Catalina 350... 35' boat with 6' 6" of headroom down below. We chartered one a couple of times on the Bay and I can attest to the headroom down below. It's insane for a 35' boat. I'm 6'4" and had no problems standing down below. The problem is they generally go for at least $100k, so it's outside of your budget by a good bit. Awesome boat, BTW. Insanely spacious for 35'.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 10-11-2015

Great topic.

I am another 6'6" guy who's looking to get back into sailing. We own an old Airstream trailer and it is just not tall enough for me to stand up in straight. It didn't bother me at first, but now it drives me nuts. It's only an inch at the very most, but I still have to kink my head.

We'll be looking to buy at the end of next season, kids will be old enough the year after, and everything I've seen so far window shopping has been too low for my linking. We'll also be looking to use the boat as a cottage on the water during the summer, so we will need to be able to use the galley and the head in comfort.

I was on a Catalina a couple of weeks ago and the headroom was astonishing. I might have to rethink my budget a bit, but up here in Ontario, a waterside property is now ridiculously expensive, so a boat, even a more expensive one, is still a great deal.
post #23 of 30 Old 11-03-2015

Hi there,
just throwing in my 2cents.

I'm 6'6", my wife is 5'8", 2 kids are - well kids.

So we go cruising the med in our 26' Tri for 4-5 weeks with max headroom 5'6" - the forward bunk is 6'9" though.
(It's still sooooo confusing, when will you guys convert to metric as the rest of the world? You're only in team with Liberia and Myanmar!)

Back to the point: It largely depends on what you want to do: For us it's OK as long as the berths are long enough.

Here is Europe it's still more convenient for us to hop on a boat that has 5'6" headroom and 6'9" berth than the charter boats that have 6'6" headroom and 6'4" berths.

It's always a compromise, a modern (flat bottom) boat with 6'7" headroom on 30' boat will look like a floating caravan - and also sail like such.

We have been through these discussions for a long time and came to the conclusion that a boat simply has limitations and as we want to live outside as much as possible it's a good compromise for us.
So family sailing is mostly outside on deck/net/amas, while I can go singlehanded (even overnight) until end of November (with 40 F in the morning) because the boat is easy to handle and the cabin is quite cozy.

When I'd own a 35-40'boat I simply couldn't afford it, or better, I would not want to pay for it since the price goes up but the fun is the same.
In winter sitting on my property vs. paid mooring, cheap outboard vs. inboard diesel, self-repair in winter vs. marina work.

For us, minimalist boat equals maximized outcome.

If you can afford 40-45' - not in purchase but in yearly maintenance - good for you, but I'd check if it's really worth the trouble.

post #24 of 30 Old 11-04-2015

Dock

I'm only 6'4", with many taller family, but I think a couple of points should be noted: Headroom almost always varies, depending on where you are on the boat. A nominal 6'6" of headroom tells you nothing. As with cars, ergonomics are really important. Stand in the head and sit on the pot and see if it works for you. It does no good if you can stand in the cabin, but can't poop or shower. There is always headroom in the cockpit, but see how high the boom is. If you have a dodger or bimini, pay attention to your standing position, I had to redo the bimini position in our boat because it was designed for someone of average height. Check out the bunks -- it will make a difference if you sleep on your side or use the full length, and whether you can hang your feet off the end. Think about how many people will sleep aboard -- we nominally sleep 5, but never have used more than 3. As others have suggested, full standing headroom is usually far from the deciding factor. And I would not consider a 40' plus boat for a first boat unless you charter a few times and decide it is right for you. YMMV, but in my case I often sail solo or with just my wife, and a boat we can easily handle dramatically increases our sailing time and fun.
post #25 of 30 Old 05-04-2016

Wow, nice observation there. useful tips!! I'm a tall sailer myself. Thanks
post #26 of 30 Old 01-19-2019

I am 6"8" and have trained myself to function fine on boats with as little as 6"2" of "headroom". Trust me the" Head room "
Too will be more important to you! If your not opposed to Cat boats try to look at a Nonsuch 30....
post #27 of 30 Old 01-20-2019

USC Polaris 36 (aka Union 36) has enough headroom under the main hatch.
Also very tall (6 ft 6 in), it is the only area of the ship where I can stand fully erect.
You do get used to it.
post #28 of 30 Old 02-28-2019

Great thread! I'm 6'5" and change and found all this very interesting and informative. I've raced J24's and done most of my sailing on boats under 30 feet and have never really thought about headroom, figured I just would never have it. If i'm in a cabin i'm usually sitting or crouching in an ergonomic position (as is possible.) Oh well i figure....tall people problems.
post #29 of 30 Old 02-28-2019

If someone wants a small inexpensive boat, a Catalina 25 has a pop top that would probably have sufficient headroom when you're at anchor. If you're sailing you'll be out in the cockpit anyway. Just watch out for the boom!

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #30 of 30 Old 03-02-2019

Trying to pull headroom and smaller size together in one boat can be a challenge but there are some smaller pilothouse boats that like mine at 31' and 6'6" of headroom in the pilothouse as well as 6'6" berths that might work. The pilothouse would also stretch your sailing season a bit into cold weather... I am in more southern waters but still find it comfortable to sail from inside helm in the 30s in January and February. Just another opinion...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in