First sailboat for a very tall guy with a very tall family - SailNet Community
Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 08-06-2015 Thread Starter

First sailboat for a very tall guy with a very tall family

I am looking for some advice on selecting a used sailboat for my family. This will be my first sailboat purchase but not my first sailing experience. I sailed an 18ft Laser several dozen times many years ago and enjoyed it very much. Now that I can afford a decent sailboat I want to get back into it and share it with my wife and kids.

I am looking for a fiberglass sloop not older than 1980 and under $75,000. The problem is that in order to get the 6'6" headroom I want and need down below I am forced to go to a much larger boat than one would normally choose for a first sailboat. Unfortunately there are not many boats than can provide that kind of headroom and still fall into my budget. I did find a few "project" boats but I don't want to go that rout. It needs to be almost ready to sail and of course have no major problems that are found during a survey.

I would like to purchase the shortest sailboat in my price range that will give me at least 6'6" headroom without going over my budget. So far I have only found 1 boat that meets this criteria. Here is a link to it. I am considering this boat but I am still looking of course.
It seems like the older boats don't have as much headroom as the newer boats of the same size and I have no idea why that is. If I could afford it I would buy a newer, shorter boat with the headroom I need and I would be happy with that. Not very many boats list the headroom and some have listed it incorrectly as well.

yachtworld.com/boats/1989/Beneteau-Oceanis-500-2633626/Rochester/NY/United-States

The only thing I don't like about this boat is no cabin heater, lots of hours on the engine, and a stand-up nav station but that certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

I have ruled out boats outside of the US just because of the transportation cost and the amount of time in saltwater which leaves some uncertainty in my mind. Mostly because I can't afford to travel all over to inspect boats and I also don't have the time either.

All of my family is very tall so the headroom is very important to me. My mother is 5'11, my dad is 6'4", 2 of my sisters are 6'1" and the other is 5'10"(the short one in the family). My brother-in law is 6'7", my 12yo is 5'5" already and still growing, my 6yo is 4'2", my 4yo is 3'2 and alot of my friends are also over 6'. Obviously long beds and lots of headroom for living aboard is a must.

Headroom and long beds isn't the only thing I am looking for though. It needs to be fairly roomy, easy to sail, with nothing major needed to be done to it to make it seaworthy, and if it all possible not need any majorly expensive things in the future. I can do most repairs that don't require a high degree of skill myself and I am in pretty good physical condition. I don't think lifting heavy sails on a big boat would be a problem for me and I would most likely have some help as well. The one thing that I really like that comes with a longer boat is that I can go faster than the shorter boats because of the hull length, and I love to go fast. A fast would is great too but not a must.

I also need to figure out if it would be cheaper to pay someone to sail the boat here and put them on a plane to go home, or to take the mast down and put it on a trailer and have it driven here on a truck. I just want to know the entire cost of getting it here before I make a decision on a boat because for a big boat it will be a significant chunk of change to get it here.

I probably won't be making a decision until a few months from now. I am hoping to find a boat that is on the great lakes that has already been hauled out for the winter. This is because it will save me several hundered bucks to have it hauled out for a survey because the owner will have already done it. Any ideas and advice on finding the right boat for me and my family will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 08-06-2015

Re: First sailboat for a very tall guy with a very tall family

In Duluth, MN the sailing season is what, 3 months? You sure you need that much head room for such short time? Most boats can get 6'4" headroom, which would be more practical in every other way. You are most likely talking 40+ foot boat and these are not cheap, even if made in early 80's. My approach would be to visit a few marinas with brokerage so you can take a first hand look at various boats. That will give you a feel for the size and cost of boats out there.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #3 of 30 Old 08-06-2015 Thread Starter

The sailing season is about 6 months here. The winters aren't as long as you would think. What if I want to take it to Philadelphia to visit the in-laws or to NYC to visit my sister? I don't think I could live on a boat with only 6'4" headroom for that long. I addition to that I believe that the beds would also be shorter as well so my feet would be hanging off the end or I would be in the fetal position which wouldn't be quite as bad.

Nevertheless comfort is a big deal for me and I will continue my search at the local marinas and see what it is really like down below. Around here it's rare to see a sailboat over 40ft but at least it will give me a better idea of what it's really like in cramped quarters.

post #4 of 30 Old 08-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartster View Post
The sailing season is about 6 months here.
Six months would be May 1st to October 31st. That's an extremely ambitious schedule; I don't know anyone who sails Superior that early or that late. Most people have a five or even four month season.

Quote:
What if I want to take it to Philadelphia to visit the in-laws or to NYC to visit my sister?
That's also quite ambitious!

You could drive over to Bayfield, Wisconsin and look at the boats for sale at Pike's Bay/Port Superior. There are some bigger boats there. I know Superior Charters has a 44' and a 49' from their charter fleet for sale. And no transportation costs! Just sail it back to Duluth.

You could also charter a boat from them so you could get a feel for how much space you really need.
jephotog and RainDog like this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #5 of 30 Old 08-06-2015
Above 5 knots

Dock

You folks don't think out of the box....
A Catalina 25 Tall rig with a pop top will fit his bill quite NICELY...
WHY? Cause the pop top goes up... he can stand there, and the boat is trailerable to PHILA.

Done...

Your welcome.

PS: The berths are 6'6"...

I only slightly jest but headroom isn't what many think it's supposed to be. Comes down to HOW you use your boat.
jerryrlitton likes this.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #6 of 30 Old 08-06-2015

My thoughts, for what they're worth...

That 50' Beneteau is an awful lot of boat, for someone's first... Way too much, IMHO... Especially for a sailing ground like Lake Superior...

Placing such a high priority on headroom is misguided, in my view... And certainly not a good reason for going for something larger than you really want, or need... Furthermore, there is rarely any direct correlation between headroom, and the length of the berths aboard, 6' 6" seems to be pretty standard even on many boats of relatively modest size...

Quote:
Headroom and long beds isn't the only thing I am looking for though. It needs to be fairly roomy, easy to sail, with nothing major needed to be done to it to make it seaworthy, and if it all possible not need any majorly expensive things in the future.
In that event, you might want to steer clear of a boat with 8,000+ hours on the engine... ;-)

Quote:
The one thing that I really like that comes with a longer boat is that I can go faster than the shorter boats because of the hull length, and I love to go fast.
Sounding more and more like you might be better off with a powerboat... In the larger scheme of things, I've never considered the difference between "Slow", and "Fast", to roughly equate the difference between 6, or 7 knots... ;-)

Quote:
Nevertheless comfort is a big deal for me and I will continue my search at the local marinas and see what it is really like down below. Around here it's rare to see a sailboat over 40ft but at least it will give me a better idea of what it's really like in cramped quarters.
Perhaps something like a week's charter aboard a mid-sized boat in the BVIs would be a more productive means of sorting that stuff out?

Quote:
What if I want to take it to Philadelphia to visit the in-laws or to NYC to visit my sister?
Do you have any idea what such a trip involves? I recently ran this boat out to Ohio... Trust me, by the time you've unstepped the rig, and locked through for the 35th time, one of those stinkpots with headroom to spare might be sounding pretty good...

;-)

Quote:
I don't think I could live on a boat with only 6'4" headroom for that long.
Seriously, if that is indeed the case, then perhaps living aboard might not be for you...

Oh, and for the record, I'm 6' 5", myself...

;-)
jerryrlitton likes this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 08-06-2015 at 09:42 PM.
post #7 of 30 Old 08-06-2015
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post

Oh, and for the record, I'm 6' 5", myself...

;-)
I think to stay constructive since you are close to the the same height, what is the headroom in your 30 foot boat? You are able to live aboard for months at a time. As to the idea of taking it to Philidelphia I think he may not really understand how slow sailboats are.
post #8 of 30 Old 08-07-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for all the good advice! There are certainly some things to consider that I didn't think about initially.

I will definitely head up to Bayfield, WI and see what I can find. I will also do some research on the Catalina 25 as well. Maybe headroom shouldn't be my biggest priority at this point in time. I might have to rethink that one. I will see how it is on some boats with less than 6'6" and see how I do before I base my decision only on the space below.

I never actually calculated the difference in speed between different hull lengths so maybe it's not as big of a difference as I was thinking it would be.

I do know that sailboats are slow and going to NYC or Philly in it was kind of something on my wish list that I might want to do if I had the time. I know it would probably be a couple weeks to get there and a couple weeks to get back again. Just wishful thinking at this point in time for something I would like to do in the years ahead without getting another boat in the meantime.

I am not interested in a power boat at this time and will probably get a Crestliner if I feel the need to go fast. I will be getting a sailboat sometime in the near future after some more research is done so I can make a better decision on what will work for me and my family.

Maybe someone else will chime in on what a shorter boat with good headroom might be. I just want to make sure that I will be happy with the boat that I purchase and not curse it every time I go below or use a berth. It needs to be enjoyable for everyone!

What's the best way to be absolutely sure that I have chosen the right boat when the time comes?
post #9 of 30 Old 08-07-2015
Catalina 400 MKII

Check out the Catalina line of sailboats. They have great headroom.
post #10 of 30 Old 08-07-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks Scotty, I will certainly do that!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in