how to sail with 1 year old? safty matters... - SailNet Community
Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

10Likes
  • 2 Post By TomMaine
  • 3 Post By paulk
  • 1 Post By Scotty C-M
  • 4 Post By pdqaltair

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-26-2016 Thread Starter

Thumbs up how to sail with 1 year old? safty matters...

hello all! im new here and need your advice!
Our family planing to sail this august @Spain (Ibiza+majorca+mallorca) with my sweet baby that will turn 1 year old.
we are sailing at "Bavaria 42".
i would love your advice about how to protect him while sailing- sleepin and cet.
gussing that till then he would do a little walking and crowlling over pillos and stuff so im wondering which berrier can i make at the bad?
also, do i need to bring with me car seat? what's the rools of baby travelling in cabs at this part of europe?
would love to hear every idea/ suggestions/ insight!
10x a lot from baby Lavie & I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-26-2016
Beyond The Pale

Re: how to sail with 1 year old? safty matters...

The use of the English Language here is appalling, but the question is valid.

The Littlest, when aboveboard on Boats, need to be tethered to whatever or whomever is immediately available.
A low Freeboard aft makes it easier to scoop them out, when they go over and under, but this shouldn't happen.

Life Preservers and aft Boarding Ladders may find some eventual use here, during retrieval. But this shouldn't happen as well.

Tethers. Harnesses. When at Sea, things Can Happen to the Littlest Leftalones. So don't allow these things to Happen.

(This concept also works for those who consider themselves Grown-Up, as well.)

¬Erindipity
post #3 of 8 Old 03-26-2016

This topic has been covered numerous times... try searching Cruising and Sailing with Children - SailNet Community

Tether and harness, car seats, and pack n plays are your friend. Of course a proper PFD

Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-26-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elin Avrunin View Post
hello all! im new here and need your advice!
Our family planing to sail this august @Spain (Ibiza+majorca+mallorca) with my sweet baby that will turn 1 year old.
we are sailing at "Bavaria 42".
i would love your advice about how to protect him while sailing- sleepin and cet.
gussing that till then he would do a little walking and crowlling over pillos and stuff so im wondering which berrier can i make at the bad?
also, do i need to bring with me car seat? what's the rools of baby travelling in cabs at this part of europe?
would love to hear every idea/ suggestions/ insight!
10x a lot from baby Lavie & I
Hi Elin. If English is your second language, yours is quite good!
We sailed with babies. At one year old, we used a typical baby carrier which the baby mostly sleeps in.

It was like a basket with a handle. And it doubled as a car seat with the baby strapped in the carrier and the carrier secured to the seat belt. That works well getting the baby on and off the boat and gives a good place to nap in the cockpit or cabin.

At about 1 to 2 years old, we used the Vee berth as a secure place to sleep during the day. In our case, I put together a frame with nylon screening (doubled up for strength) in it that closed off the Vee berth. You may have another berth on the Bavaria that could serve. The screen allowed us to keep an eye on the baby at all times. Ours loved the motion in the Veeberth.

As they got a little bigger and were walking, secure lee cloths in pilot or settee berths worked great. These formed safe play areas even in rough conditions. A safe place in a boat underway, where bumps and bruises are minimal, is tough to find.

Another favorite of ours was a secure seat that could be clamped to our table. Belted into the chair, they would spend a lot of time there, eating, and watching the fascinating sights of a moving sailboat.

A one year old that isn't sleeping requires a persons full attendance on a sailboat. That person (watching the baby) shouldn't be expected to do anything else.

Once they begin to walk, they simply have to have a correctly sized PFD on at all times above decks. And for us, they never left the cockpit under sail or at anchor, unattended. Never. Don't trust netting.

Cabs anywhere I think would be fine with a suitable baby carrier - seat.

The best thing we ever did with our babies was take them sailing, immediately.
seaner97 and CVAT like this.

Last edited by TomMaine; 03-26-2016 at 06:52 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-26-2016

We took our 1 -year old on a self-drive canalboat cruise in France and had the same issues. She learned to walk about two weeks before we flew over. A harness and tether (a leash for us to hold, really) enabled her to walk around on deck grabbing whatever she needed to hold on to. A tiny lifejacket provided more reassurance for us. We took an adjustable barrier gate with us so we could block off passages as needed down below. You could also use one of those or keep her in the cockpit by blocking the companionway hatch. We also took lots and lots of disposable diapers. This was an unnecessary hassle. The tiniest towns we went through - the ones with just one café and a post office - would have three different brands of disposable diapers piled high for sale at the sole general store.

P.S. I wonder how bad our "English" would be if our spellchecks were set to something like Portuguese.
TomMaine, seaner97 and CVAT like this.

Last edited by paulk; 03-26-2016 at 07:49 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-26-2016
Catalina 400 MKII

Elen, a +1 to what Tom said (post #4). We raised 3 children sailing quite bit (not living aboard). It worked out fine for us. When they were small, my wife was pretty much on watch of the kids all the time. Safe spaces down below and tethered on while underway if they were on deck while they were toddlers - and always in rough weather.
seaner97 likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-26-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erindipity View Post
The use of the English Language here is appalling, but the question is valid.

The Littlest, when aboveboard on Boats, need to be tethered to whatever or whomever is immediately available.
A low Freeboard aft makes it easier to scoop them out, when they go over and under, but this shouldn't happen.

Life Preservers and aft Boarding Ladders may find some eventual use here, during retrieval. But this shouldn't happen as well.

Tethers. Harnesses. When at Sea, things Can Happen to the Littlest Leftalones. So don't allow these things to Happen.

(This concept also works for those who consider themselves Grown-Up, as well.)

¬Erindipity
a. How is your Spanish?

b. Language, boat, freeboard, boarding, ladders, leftalones, sea, can, happen and grown-up are not capitalized. Littlest is non-standard English and probably poor usage. Aboveboard is vague and could mean outside the cabin, but could also mean one deck. Leftalones is not a word. "So don't..." is a sentence fragment. Tethered to whatever is available is careless wording; there are some terrible choices available. Basically, there are no more than a few words separating serious errors in the above post.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #8 of 8 Old 05-04-2016

Cool Re: how to sail with 1 year old? safty matters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
Hi Elin. If English is your second language, yours is quite good!
We sailed with babies. At one year old, we used a typical baby carrier which the baby mostly sleeps in.

It was like a basket with a handle. And it doubled as a car seat with the baby strapped in the carrier and the carrier secured to the seat belt. That works well getting the baby on and off the boat and gives a good place to nap in the cockpit or cabin.

At about 1 to 2 years old, we used the Vee berth as a secure place to sleep during the day. In our case, I put together a frame with nylon screening (doubled up for strength) in it that closed off the Vee berth. You may have another berth on the Bavaria that could serve. The screen allowed us to keep an eye on the baby at all times. Ours loved the motion in the Veeberth.

As they got a little bigger and were walking, secure lee cloths in pilot or settee berths worked great. These formed safe play areas even in rough conditions. A safe place in a boat underway, where bumps and bruises are minimal, is tough to find.

Another favorite of ours was a secure seat that could be clamped to our table. Belted into the chair, they would spend a lot of time there, eating, and watching the fascinating sights of a moving sailboat.

A one year old that isn't sleeping requires a persons full attendance on a sailboat. That person (watching the baby) shouldn't be expected to do anything else.

Once they begin to walk, they simply have to have a correctly sized PFD on at all times above decks. And for us, they never left the cockpit under sail or at anchor, unattended. Never. Don't trust netting.

Cabs anywhere I think would be fine with a suitable baby carrier - seat.

The best thing we ever did with our babies was take them sailing, immediately.
Useful tips there! I agree.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in