Trailer Sailer, small keel boat or somewhere in between. - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 43 Old 12-03-2017

Re: Trailer Sailer, small keel boat or somewhere in between.

For possible boat charters in the Savannah area, give some of the local marinas a call.
Arcb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 Old 12-03-2017 Thread Starter

That's an interesting idea, I could see it working a couple of different ways, maybe they have boats on charter, or maybe they have a repo they would be willing to charter me, or maybe they would have a repo boat they could sell me cheap and when I was done with it, I could maybe sell it even cheaper or give it away. I don't need a CE rated boat, I just need something that floats and sails and is reasonably comfortable at dock.
post #13 of 43 Old 12-03-2017

Another idea, check the Charleston SC and Savannah and Brunswick GA areas Craigslist for charters or sale.
Arcb likes this.

post #14 of 43 Old 12-04-2017
Doesn't sail enough

If I was really set on trailering, I would look for a pop-top Venture/McG 25/26. As light as possible, as much headroom as possible, as roomy as possible.

But buying down south seems like a good option. So much to choose from, and could really buy in the Chessie and do the ICW the rest of the way too. Just find a sailnetter whose house you can leave the car at in the meantime

If I was in Ottawa I would get the heck out for the winter too....
Arcb likes this.

'78 Dolphin 31
post #15 of 43 Old 12-04-2017 Thread Starter

Im not set on trailering, its more like we are trying to decide what our best course of action is, assuming a September-march time frame (based on work obligations).

Yes, i agree, for real trailering the macs 25 and 26 appear to be the best. That would mean, in 6 months we could have 6 different home bases for a month. Chesapeake, Georgia, Florida and 3 other places.

On the other hand, by taking a more robust boat, we could see the entire coast, and possible slip over to Bahamas or Cuba for a bit. Then my problem is, its march, there is ice on the hudson or NYS canals and i cant get the boat back to Lake Ontario. At this point, i guess i could hire a boat mover with a truck.

Or i could buy something part way down and sell/give it away when im done.

Im more mining for ideas on different ways to skin this cat, but i do always enjoy learning about different kinds of small boats too.

Yes, Ottawa winters are brutal. We moved here from Niagara Falls 2 years ago, and its like being in a different country, possibly a different planet. The rideau river was frozen bank to bank before the end of november this year.
post #16 of 43 Old 12-04-2017
Doesn't sail enough

So considering you are doing this with the kiddies and the pooch ... I would want a bigger boat for the Bahamas, only for space reasons, and I think that would be hard to do on your budget. I would want something big enough to stay anchored out for a few days rather than be in a marina every night.

If you're staying on the East Coast that's less of an issue, and being able to cover miles on the highway and do all the dirt-side attractions would be a big plus for the kids. The boat would make a reasonable camper trailer.

BTDT on Ottawa in winter (only in small doses, but over many years). It's 26 and sunny here. Gonna call a friend and see about sailing tomorrow morning.

'78 Dolphin 31
post #17 of 43 Old 12-04-2017
Captain Obvious

I'm guessing you find what you find down south and make your plan based on the boat you buy and where.

There's probably more value in being flexible, keeping eyes peeled , scrounging around and wrenching than there is in speculating at this point. Find some owner that wants out, and low ball him with a pile of $100 bills in your hand. Sell the boat cheap when you are done, the difference in price is just the cost of your vacation.

As an aside, I remain skeptical of the trailor sailor concept even though I own one. You don't have a lot of towing capacity there.

Good luck with your voyage!

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 12-04-2017 at 05:59 PM.
post #18 of 43 Old 12-04-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingUphill View Post
Lancer 28... they seem to be nearly free when you look for them. Finding a good one on a trailer might be tough. But it's a ship! Full standing headroom, shoal keel, deck stepped mast. I only know of them because a former club member had one sailed it for years, and it sold for around $4500 on a trailer... and that was a bargain.
We've been sailing a Lancer 25 for 10 years (just moved up). The Lancer was a great boat to start with, large for a trailerable but with head room and fairly stiff. Couldn't point well but other than that a nice starter. We've spent up to two weeks at a time on her. One of the best features was the 30" draft. You can go where motor boats fear to tread (water).

We now own (besides the Lancer) a Pearson-O'Day 290 and are thrilled by the performance so far.
post #19 of 43 Old 12-04-2017 Thread Starter

Ya, im a little skeptical about the towing thing too, im going to keep looking into it. We did a detailed budget over the week end, and our monthly budget will be a bit smaller than originally estimated, due to some fixed expenses at home, we will be closer to $2k/month than $3k. Ive always found, the shorter the water line, the fewer the expenses. I am concerned about our ability to put on coastal miles under sail on the water ballast boats.

22' seems to be about the limit i can tow for keel/swing keel boats, luckily i do have 4wd. Some of the older French designs seem pretty good, they seemed to be playing with form stability more on entry level boats earlier than we were in north America. Beneteau First 22, Edel 22 have nearly a foot more beam than north American equivalents from the late 70's and early 80's. A foot of extra beam can make a huge difference in a boat that size for interior space. Plus, that means we would not only have a 22' boat for storage, but also an SUV. As Zed mentioned, kind of nice for side trips to disney world and shopping etc.

Problem is, im a bit skeptical on all options. Getting south is fairly straightforward on any boat. Our potential window opens around labour day. Point boat south through NYS canals and go. The plus about buying a local boat is i can shake it down and fix it up in familiar waters. A boat i bought south, we would be pretty straight into the fire.

The issue is, the return trip, because our window closes when theres still snow on the ground in New York State. So how do we get the boat home. We could sell a US purchased boat down there, kind of a disposable boat idea, might work pretty well. Canadian bought boat, i dont think could be sold easily in the US. So, if it exceeed my tow capacity, i could uhaul it up if we can figure out trailer logistics. If its too big to uhaul- hire a boat mover, i suspect that option would break our budgets.

There are two complete Edels in my local area right now, with rig, sails, motor and trailer. One for $1000 cdn and one for $2500 cdn. Might go check them out. Wife says i can buy if i like them (and she likes them). Seems a bit early to buy a boat for a trip next fall though, you can wind up with a lot of boats in your drive way if you start buying boats 9 months before youre planning on using them.
post #20 of 43 Old 12-05-2017
Administrator

If I had to do this, in the price range you are considering, I would buy a boat down there in sound but cosmetically challenged condition, clean it up and go. Even if you had to sell it cheaply you should be able to spend less than the cost of fuel to tow a boat back and forth to Canada, and certainly less than chartering a boat for six months.

There are some nice boats out there for pretty cheap:
https://charleston.craigslist.org/bo...394047743.html
https://charleston.craigslist.org/bo...358806369.html
https://savannah.craigslist.org/boa/...346986839.html
https://columbia.craigslist.org/boa/...386005846.html

Jeff
SHNOOL and Arcb like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in