Buying a Bluewater Family Cruiser - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 Old 12-27-2017 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

Re: Buying a Bluewater Family Cruiser

So after a bit of research i'm adding Wauquiez centurion 45 to the list, but don't know a huge amount about these boats, beyond what google can tell me.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts?

(And yes I realise I am asking about European boats on a predominantly North American forum!)

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 Old 12-29-2017 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

The boat we are specifically considering.

1991 Wauquiez Centurion Sail New and Used Boats for Sale - au.yachtworld.com

post #13 of 32 Old 12-29-2017

Chall

Around here the relatively few Wauquiez' certainly hold their value and are very well regarded. They were featured in Ferenc Mate's 'Worlds best sailboats' (a classic and beautiful coffee table book from the 80s).

I would guess that the transom platform is a post-production modification, I don't recall them being built that way so some investigation into that would be warranted...(no narrative on the listing)

It is an IOR based design so will have those habits to some degree, but they are manageable with sail and AWA selection based on conditions.

She might be a bit dark below, plenty of wood and smallish ports, and that is one tall companionway that may be an issue for kids and/or less agile crew. Also exiting the companionway at sea, being so 'up on deck' will make those grab rails pretty crucial. That layout also seems to preclude a more protective dodger than the one shown - anything wide enough to protect the cockpit would also have to be very long and make access to the deck gear outside the companionway possibly awkward.

Just a few observations, based on a quick scan. Probably a pretty nice boat to sail, esp in warmer climes. For us in the PNW not being able to 'get out of the wind and rain' behind a proper dodger would be an issue.
chall03 likes this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

post #14 of 32 Old 01-07-2018

I agree with the previous posts about specifying budget,size and type of boat etc first.

One thing I would recommend related to sailing with children, regardless of make and model is that in many cases you will sail “singlehanded”.

I do a lot of sail racing on race boats and on the boat I use for cruising I have done a lot of short hand / single hand optimization. A lot of times when you are sailing with small children one person is sailing while the other is basically entertaining the kids.

Doesn’t mean that I do 100% sailing and my wife is doing 100% entertaining the kids. We are basically taking turns. But I have invested a lot into making things easy to sail shorthanded. Anything from using good ball or roller bearing blocks and running rigging to single line reefs as well as a good autopilot with gyro.

I would say that most boats that can sail well shorthanded works well for a family. Unfortunately that is not the case with many “cruisers” out of the factory.

By the way, don’t make the traditional mistake with the man at the helm yelling at his wife to do all the heavy lifting such as dropping anchor, hoisting sails, handling big genua sheets etc.

Get your wife to handle the helm and do the heavy less prestigious work such as dropping the anchor etc yourself. You will thank me later if you do this. If you get her hooked on sailing all of you will enjoy it more.
post #15 of 32 Old 02-07-2018 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBart View Post
One thing I would recommend related to sailing with children, regardless of make and model is that in many cases you will sail “singlehanded”.

I do a lot of sail racing on race boats and on the boat I use for cruising I have done a lot of short hand / single hand optimization. A lot of times when you are sailing with small children one person is sailing while the other is basically entertaining the kids.

Doesn’t mean that I do 100% sailing and my wife is doing 100% entertaining the kids. We are basically taking turns. But I have invested a lot into making things easy to sail shorthanded. Anything from using good ball or roller bearing blocks and running rigging to single line reefs as well as a good autopilot with gyro.

I would say that most boats that can sail well shorthanded works well for a family. Unfortunately that is not the case with many “cruisers” out of the factory.

By the way, don’t make the traditional mistake with the man at the helm yelling at his wife to do all the heavy lifting such as dropping anchor, hoisting sails, handling big genua sheets etc.

Get your wife to handle the helm and do the heavy less prestigious work such as dropping the anchor etc yourself. You will thank me later if you do this. If you get her hooked on sailing all of you will enjoy it more.
I really appreciate the thoughts.

FWIW we have done several thousand miles on our previous boat with kids onboard and we absolutely get the importance of a shorthanded friendly boat.

In terms of my wife rest assured she is well and truly hooked on sailing and is very capable. She has been bowchick for more than a couple of ocean races on boats that go a lot faster than I would care to cruise.

If you have a traditional cliche of a sailing couple in your head, well umm yeah lets just say thats not quite us. We are both passionate but quite different sailors.

It sounds like you also have a good system going where roles are well shared between the two and you? I couldn't agree more that this flexibility is key.

In terms of boats we are finding the process quite frustrating.

CLICK HERE for a video on my REAL thoughts

We are patiently continuing the search.
smackdaddy likes this.

Last edited by chall03; 02-07-2018 at 07:36 AM.
post #16 of 32 Old 02-07-2018
still boatless

Sorry you're having such a rough go at it. They say good things come to those who wait, but you've clearly had to endure a lot of waiting so far.

Surely the right vessel is out there at the right price. Hope to see you take possession soon!
chall03 likes this.
post #17 of 32 Old 02-07-2018
Banned

Hang in there Chall. It will come.
post #18 of 32 Old 02-09-2018 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

Thanks all. Have an offer in on a boat at the moment so fingers crossed!
smackdaddy and MarkofSeaLife like this.

post #19 of 32 Old 02-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Thanks all. Have an offer in on a boat at the moment so fingers crossed!
Good luck and keep us posted
chall03 likes this.
post #20 of 32 Old 03-17-2019 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

Hey All,

Just thought I would update this thread with the news that we have bought a Moody 425.

In terms of of boat buying in the med it has been an interesting process. Our experience has been that there are lots of boats sitting disused in boatyards sometimes not sailed for a couple of years and owners who had an inflated idea of what they were worth.

“Oh the engine hasn’t been started in 3 years…..no they don’t know the engine hours and the standing rigging is 20 years old but hey I promise it’s a great boat”

So it was in Malta that we found a Moody 425 that spoke to us. It is a design I have well researched and like and it was also just the right boat at the right price.

It was in the water, being sailed year round by a Maltese sailor and while approaching 30 years of age and a little tired around the edges it had a great inventory of cruising gear, is in good condition.

So it begins! So many lists. A bit of work to be done. But we are so ready to start this next adventure!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in