SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising and Sailing with Children (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-sailing-children/)
-   -   Buying a Bluewater Family Cruiser (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-sailing-children/306490-buying-bluewater-family-cruiser.html)

chall03 12-21-2017 07:47 AM

Buying a Bluewater Family Cruiser

About three years ago almost to the day I sold my last boat.

Since then life has been a blur of work, parenting, and collapsing on the couch with a glass of cheap wine and scouring yachtworld every night.

My wife has always wanted to sail the Med. I have promised her repeatedly that one day we would get there. Of course to get to Europe by boat from Australia is somewhat of an ordeal. Besides given the boat market seemed far more buoyant in Europe it would also be a little bit akin to taking tea to China perhaps?

So over wine and yachtworld we have decided to buy a boat in the Med and bring it back to OZ.

We have a boat selection mantra. Moderate everything. We want a mid sized, mid priced, moderate displacement, moderate and modern as money can buy yacht.

- A 10 – 15 year old boat.
- Preferably Centre Cockpit
- Definitely GRP
- About 41-50 foot
- Reasonable performance.
- Ready to cruise, no refits thanks.
- Budget under 150k US.

Have looked at and considered.....

Moody 425
Moody 44
Moody 42
Westerly Oceanlord 41
Westerly Ocean 43
Hallberg Rassy 42F
Hallberg Rassy 45/46
Amel Super Maramu

So the British boats feature prominently in this list because they seem to have the design/layout we seek, respectable performance and build quality at a price that sits within our budget when buying in Europe.

Give us your opinions denizens of Sailnet!

ianjoub 12-21-2017 09:12 AM

Re: Buying a Bluewater Family Cruiser

Look at Garcia

Skipper Jer 12-21-2017 10:14 AM

There is a Moody group in England, the motherland for you all down under. :) They are willing to answer questions about the different models. I contacted them prior to viewing a Moody 41. You might want to do the same. https://moodyowners.org/

We didn't buy the Moody. Sometimes boats have negative value when the owners neglect them for too long. I really like the layout of the 41, center cockpit, three cabins, centerboard.
Good luck.

WharfRat 12-21-2017 10:25 AM

It's a shame Paolo isn't here any more. He knows the European market really well. He does have the philosophy, though, that only a fast boat is "interesting." For example he is no fan of the Bavaria 45, even if that could potentially meet your criteria.

That said, he can probably point you to some makes / models, and even brokers, that you might not otherwise have considered.

You might be able to make contact with him through his blog. Just google for "interesting sailboats."

smackdaddy 12-21-2017 07:09 PM

Good luck with your search Chall. Your Med-purchase approach will likely be our next move in a few years. So it will be good to see how the process goes.

capta 12-21-2017 08:12 PM

I would suggest you bareboat a few times in the Med before you invest a great deal of money and time into sailing there from OZ. It isn't one of the more pleasant sailing areas, though the places you can visit are pretty amazing.

chall03 12-22-2017 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianjoub (Post 2051318506)
Look at Garcia

Like them a lot.

Was about to post that they are very much out of our price range, but I have just found a couple of older examples that are reasonably priced!

chall03 12-22-2017 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capta (Post 2051319074)
I would suggest you bareboat a few times in the Med before you invest a great deal of money and time into sailing there from OZ. It isn't one of the more pleasant sailing areas, though the places you can visit are pretty amazing.

So we won't be sailing there from OZ.

We are going to START in the Med and sail to OZ.

Have barefooted a couple of times (Both times in Italy).

My wife loves the area (The culture and food more than the sailing). I see us doing a season and crossing the Atlantic. The Schengen VISA situation alone would encourage us to do this.

chall03 12-22-2017 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WharfRat (Post 2051318554)
It's a shame Paolo isn't here any more. He knows the European market really well. He does have the philosophy, though, that only a fast boat is "interesting." For example he is no fan of the Bavaria 45, even if that could potentially meet your criteria.

That said, he can probably point you to some makes / models, and even brokers, that you might not otherwise have considered.

You might be able to make contact with him through his blog. Just google for "interesting sailboats."

I think he would perhaps have us in a POGO planing at 25 knots.....

I have spoken with him briefly about it in the past. I will reach out.

WharfRat 12-22-2017 06:07 PM

Yeah anything under 12 knots is downright pokey in his mind, but still, he knows a lot about the market and the builders around Europe.