Buying a Bluewater Family Cruiser - SailNet Community
Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 12-21-2017 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

Buying a Bluewater Family Cruiser

About three years ago almost to the day I sold my last boat.

Since then life has been a blur of work, parenting, and collapsing on the couch with a glass of cheap wine and scouring yachtworld every night.

My wife has always wanted to sail the Med. I have promised her repeatedly that one day we would get there. Of course to get to Europe by boat from Australia is somewhat of an ordeal. Besides given the boat market seemed far more buoyant in Europe it would also be a little bit akin to taking tea to China perhaps?

So over wine and yachtworld we have decided to buy a boat in the Med and bring it back to OZ.

We have a boat selection mantra. Moderate everything. We want a mid sized, mid priced, moderate displacement, moderate and modern as money can buy yacht.

- A 10 – 15 year old boat.
- Preferably Centre Cockpit
- Definitely GRP
- About 41-50 foot
- Reasonable performance.
- Ready to cruise, no refits thanks.
- Budget under 150k US.

Have looked at and considered.....

Moody 425
Moody 44
Moody 42
Westerly Oceanlord 41
Westerly Ocean 43
Hallberg Rassy 42F
Hallberg Rassy 45/46
Amel Super Maramu

So the British boats feature prominently in this list because they seem to have the design/layout we seek, respectable performance and build quality at a price that sits within our budget when buying in Europe.

Give us your opinions denizens of Sailnet!

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 12-21-2017
Land lubber

Re: Buying a Bluewater Family Cruiser

Look at Garcia
chall03 likes this.
post #3 of 32 Old 12-21-2017

There is a Moody group in England, the motherland for you all down under. They are willing to answer questions about the different models. I contacted them prior to viewing a Moody 41. You might want to do the same. https://moodyowners.org/

We didn't buy the Moody. Sometimes boats have negative value when the owners neglect them for too long. I really like the layout of the 41, center cockpit, three cabins, centerboard.
Good luck.
chall03 likes this.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.

post #4 of 32 Old 12-21-2017
still boatless

It's a shame Paolo isn't here any more. He knows the European market really well. He does have the philosophy, though, that only a fast boat is "interesting." For example he is no fan of the Bavaria 45, even if that could potentially meet your criteria.

That said, he can probably point you to some makes / models, and even brokers, that you might not otherwise have considered.

You might be able to make contact with him through his blog. Just google for "interesting sailboats."
post #5 of 32 Old 12-21-2017
Banned

Good luck with your search Chall. Your Med-purchase approach will likely be our next move in a few years. So it will be good to see how the process goes.
post #6 of 32 Old 12-21-2017
Master Mariner

I would suggest you bareboat a few times in the Med before you invest a great deal of money and time into sailing there from OZ. It isn't one of the more pleasant sailing areas, though the places you can visit are pretty amazing.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #7 of 32 Old 12-22-2017 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post
Look at Garcia
Like them a lot.

Was about to post that they are very much out of our price range, but I have just found a couple of older examples that are reasonably priced!

Last edited by chall03; 12-22-2017 at 06:28 PM.
post #8 of 32 Old 12-22-2017 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I would suggest you bareboat a few times in the Med before you invest a great deal of money and time into sailing there from OZ. It isn't one of the more pleasant sailing areas, though the places you can visit are pretty amazing.
So we won't be sailing there from OZ.

We are going to START in the Med and sail to OZ.

Have barefooted a couple of times (Both times in Italy).

My wife loves the area (The culture and food more than the sailing). I see us doing a season and crossing the Atlantic. The Schengen VISA situation alone would encourage us to do this.

Last edited by chall03; 12-22-2017 at 06:31 PM.
post #9 of 32 Old 12-22-2017 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WharfRat View Post
It's a shame Paolo isn't here any more. He knows the European market really well. He does have the philosophy, though, that only a fast boat is "interesting." For example he is no fan of the Bavaria 45, even if that could potentially meet your criteria.

That said, he can probably point you to some makes / models, and even brokers, that you might not otherwise have considered.

You might be able to make contact with him through his blog. Just google for "interesting sailboats."
I think he would perhaps have us in a POGO planing at 25 knots.....

I have spoken with him briefly about it in the past. I will reach out.

post #10 of 32 Old 12-22-2017
still boatless

Yeah anything under 12 knots is downright pokey in his mind, but still, he knows a lot about the market and the builders around Europe.
chall03 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in