Depression and thermostats - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Re: Depression and thermostats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
As to your depression, as I have aged, I find myself more prone to a transitory sense of depression when I am alone and sleep deprived. Being exhausted seems to amplify whatever emotion I am feeling at the time, but especially a sense of sadness, or of having messed up big time. The solo distance racers say that it is only a matter of time before they begin to hallucinate and project all kinds of emotional disorders onto themselves. As they will readily tell you, when you are in that state, it is hard to rationally say to yourself, "Whatever I am feeling it is the result of exhaustion and is all in my mind" and yet when seen in retrospective, that is the unfortunately reality of it.

Jeff
Yes, I can see all of this. My wife the psychoanalyst distinguishes between Halucination and Delusion; in the former your mind contrives things from whole cloth whereas in delusion your brain is stimulated by something real but then bends it into something else. I havenít hallucinated since the early 70ís but after about 3 days alone I have delusions. Pricinpally I hear some noise and my mind tryís to turn it into something familiar like music or stadium cheering. Itís less annoying now that Iím more familiar with it.

This depression was another matter. I had all the aggravating factors you mention above, but Iíve been there before if not to this extent. Maybe now that I know about it I can better deal with it.

It does make one wonder how some of these guys do the long solo races without going bonkers.

Iíve read elsewhere, canít find the reference, that WWII research showed about 75% of folks in dire situations will die from psychological depression well before supplies are exhausted. Maybe Iím in that 75% cohort.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

An osculating temperature gauge is often a symptom of an air leak on the intake side of the system since the sensor thinks the temperature has dropped when it is in air. In fact when a car over heats due to a coolant leak the thermostat often looks too cool since there is no coolant in contact with the sensor.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #13 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Old soul

Hi Howard, sorry to hear about your aborted northern travels, and your introspective depressive episodes. Iíve never attempted a similar solo sail event, but I used to solo canoe trip for weeks at at time. I recall a depressive episode after I had a bad dump in a rapid while heading down river, and at least a week from anyone knowing I was even alive.

Iíve got no wisdom for either challenge, but on a purely selfish level, we are still planning to head your way soon. Maybe weíll be able to connect in Lewisporte or in Corner Brook. Always happy to raise a pint and toast the ghosts we all carry.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Mike,

Looking forward. See you at the club house.

Iíll probably be around a lot, now the trip is done Iíve some projects to tackle.
MikeOReilly likes this.

post #15 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Dock

So sorry your adventure is canned for this year.

I gotta say that intermittent faults put the dark clouds over my head. Maybe you were worried about your engine?

Hope it's fixed and you do the passage soon.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #16 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago

With a raw water cooled engine in salt water, a scale buildup is always a possibility. I would suggest a back flush and cleaning with Rydlyme or something similar.
post #17 of 25 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

When I got back to the boat I pulled the thermostat housing and found I had ZERO water flow though the engine. Pulled the exhaust manifold, dug out as much crap as I could, gave it the acid treatment. Reinstalled and flushed engine with acid. Now Iím getting good water flow. It seems most of the problem was in the exhaust manifold.

Ran her today but she would not heat up more than just enough to confirm the sender was working, confirmed by my hand. As soon as I can Iíll take her out and put her under load, run around the harbor. Water here is still about 40įF. Iím getting good water out the exhaust.

post #18 of 25 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
When I got back to the boat I pulled the thermostat housing and found I had ZERO water flow though the engine. Pulled the exhaust manifold, dug out as much crap as I could, gave it the acid treatment. Reinstalled and flushed engine with acid. Now Iím getting good water flow. It seems most of the problem was in the exhaust manifold.

Ran her today but she would not heat up more than just enough to confirm the sender was working, confirmed by my hand. As soon as I can Iíll take her out and put her under load, run around the harbor. Water here is still about 40įF. Iím getting good water out the exhaust.
Isn't the exhaust manifold for gas and not water? Are you meaning the exhaust elbow where the gases are mixed with the heated cooling water and then out a thru hull?

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #19 of 25 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

No, itís a Volvo MD7A raw water cooled engine, salt water circulates through the exhaust Mansfield around the exhaust chambers. The water comes from the pump, into the exhaust manifold, then to the head/block, back to the exhaust manifold, then the thermostat housing, and only then to the exhaust mixer.

My observation (hope?) is the the vast predominance of the buildup was in the pipe to the exhaust manifold and the manifold but the head and block seemed to be relatively clear. Not sure that is in fact true, just the way it looked from my limited ability to see.

post #20 of 25 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Took her out for a spin this pm and everything ran as it should, temperature regulation was spot on. She has never pumped this quantity of water before.

Maybe I did something right.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in