Depression and thermostats - SailNet Community
Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Depression and thermostats

Well my summer trip got cancelled. I had planned a solo to Newfoundland to Greenland. I left Lewisporte but had engine problems. I put into St Anthony and made repairs but got delayed for a week waiting for weather. My Wife came up and we made a holiday of it. Cape Norman, at the extreme NW tip of Newfoundland, is quite interesting, especially if you like “bleak.”

I restarted my trip from St Anthony with a nice weather window, it was to be a 6-7 day crossing, that’s a long solo but something I’ve done before. The short story is into the second day the engine crapped out, over heating. I was able to limp home to Lewisporte at idle speed, of course sailing when I could.

What is interesting is that I experienced a deep ( and I mean deep) depression that was induced simply by my physical conditions. There was very little wind and a rough sea-state left over from the storm. The water was between 35-40°F, heavy fog and when it did clear a bit there were bergs. So I was motoring slowly keeping a 15 minute radar watch. Once the weather cleared on the way back I felt much better and had one day that was very pleasurable.

I didn’t expect this depression that or even think it possible simply from my physical situation. If I ever attempt this kind of thing again I’ll need to remind myself of this danger and somehow prepare to mitigate it or tolerate it.

But... I learned something about myself and that is worthwhile in itself.

Now my challenge is to figure out the overheating issue. That has me completely stumped. It’s erratic at best. Clearly the t-stat is working, I can see it going up and down. But from 100 to 190°f? It’s a raw water cooled engine and should run at 150°f. In the past few days I’ve seen it run at 100° hours, fast idle at 140 for 1& hours, run perfectly at high idle for a while, run from 120 to 170 and back about every 30 seconds for hours, and run from 100 to 190 and back about once a minute.

To add mystery, when I took the t-stat housing off I found the waterline from the pump to the housing almost completely clogged with a black gritty substance. I rammed a rod down the about 14” length of the copper tube and flushed out the buildup. Cranked the engine with no compression and have great water flow. But was left with the above very odd symptoms.

My plan is to drink heavily this weekend and attack the engine Tuesday. Happy Canada Day!

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Learning the HARD way...

Re: Depression and thermostats

Drinking is probably not going to help with the depression.

Do you have a spare T-stat? You can test the one that you have by placing it in a pan of hot water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Gauges are notoriously inaccurate. Most offen the best they can do is let you know that the temp (in this case) is straying off the norm.
But from your description, if it is not a connection in the wiring, it could be a faulty thermostat. Not much else, and I lean toward a wiring connection if the temp changes are as rapid as you imply.
I'd get a heat gun and make sure the engine is or is not actually changing temperature at all, and change the thermostat just because.
Good luck.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Blockage will / may / can mess up your cooling. Was there the correct amount of water being expelled with the engine running... that is a tell.

It could be a messed up pump impeller
clog at inside or outside the intake
could be junk in the strainer
corroded exhaust elbow
crude and clogged hose
whacked out t stat

I had similar and ruled out everything until it was the spendy elbow.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #5 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Well my summer trip got cancelled. I had planned a solo to Newfoundland to Greenland. I left Lewisporte but had engine problems. I put into St Anthony and made repairs but got delayed for a week waiting for weather. My Wife came up and we made a holiday of it. Cape Norman, at the extreme NW tip of Newfoundland, is quite interesting, especially if you like “bleak.”

I restarted my trip from St Anthony with a nice weather window, it was to be a 6-7 day crossing, that’s a long solo but something I’ve done before. The short story is into the second day the engine crapped out, over heating. I was able to limp home to Lewisporte at idle speed, of course sailing when I could.

What is interesting is that I experienced a deep ( and I mean deep) depression that was induced simply by my physical conditions. There was very little wind and a rough sea-state left over from the storm. The water was between 35-40°F, heavy fog and when it did clear a bit there were bergs. So I was motoring slowly keeping a 15 minute radar watch. Once the weather cleared on the way back I felt much better and had one day that was very pleasurable.

I didn’t expect this depression that or even think it possible simply from my physical situation. If I ever attempt this kind of thing again I’ll need to remind myself of this danger and somehow prepare to mitigate it or tolerate it.

But... I learned something about myself and that is worthwhile in itself.

Now my challenge is to figure out the overheating issue. That has me completely stumped. It’s erratic at best. Clearly the t-stat is working, I can see it going up and down. But from 100 to 190°f? It’s a raw water cooled engine and should run at 150°f. In the past few days I’ve seen it run at 100° hours, fast idle at 140 for 1& hours, run perfectly at high idle for a while, run from 120 to 170 and back about every 30 seconds for hours, and run from 100 to 190 and back about once a minute.

To add mystery, when I took the t-stat housing off I found the waterline from the pump to the housing almost completely clogged with a black gritty substance. I rammed a rod down the about 14” length of the copper tube and flushed out the buildup. Cranked the engine with no compression and have great water flow. But was left with the above very odd symptoms.

My plan is to drink heavily this weekend and attack the engine Tuesday. Happy Canada Day!

The rapid movement in the gage makes me wonder if there is an electrical fault in the temp gage circuit rather than an actual change in engine temp. Can you get hold of another way to measure the actual engine temperature?
post #6 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Does the water flow out change at all when this is happening? If not a bad sender/gauge, it sounds like something is rolling around in the cooling loop plugging/unplugging flow. Could be a thermostat opening/shutting, but that is an odd failure mode. Just remove the thermostat and see what it does. Some engines block the flow when the Tstat is removed, but these are usually fresh water cooled engines - but check to make sure.

Mark
SanderO likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

post #7 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Blockage will / may / can mess up your cooling. Was there the correct amount of water being expelled with the engine running... that is a tell.

It could be a messed up pump impeller
clog at inside or outside the intake
could be junk in the strainer
corroded exhaust elbow
crude and clogged hose
whacked out t stat

I had similar and ruled out everything until it was the spendy elbow.
Not to be argumentative, but I don't think any of those would cause the temp to fluctuate wildly;
"Now my challenge is to figure out the overheating issue. That has me completely stumped. It’s erratic at best. Clearly the t-stat is working, I can see it going up and down. But from 100 to 190°f? It’s a raw water cooled engine and should run at 150°f. In the past few days I’ve seen it run at 100° hours, fast idle at 140 for 1& hours, run perfectly at high idle for a while, run from 120 to 170 and back about every 30 seconds for hours, and run from 100 to 190 and back about once a minute." which was one of his concerns, I believe.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #8 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

I saw a similar thing when I had a blocked exhaust elbow. At idle the engine seemed fine, but as soon as the RPM's increased the temperature would start to rise quickly and trip the yellow temp warning (never getting to red). But the other thing I have observed on car engines is that there is a shortage of water getting to the heat sensor. On a marine engine this can be an air lock in the top of the water jackets or to a lesser extent anything else on the list in SanderO's comments.

As to your depression, as I have aged, I find myself more prone to a transitory sense of depression when I am alone and sleep deprived. Being exhausted seems to amplify whatever emotion I am feeling at the time, but especially a sense of sadness, or of having messed up big time. The solo distance racers say that it is only a matter of time before they begin to hallucinate and project all kinds of emotional disorders onto themselves. As they will readily tell you, when you are in that state, it is hard to rationally say to yourself, "Whatever I am feeling it is the result of exhaustion and is all in my mind" and yet when seen in retrospective, that is the unfortunately reality of it.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #9 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Where do these precise temp numbers come from.... my temp gauge has a green zone and then a too hot red zone. If gauge shows the dial is more the vertical... moving to red... the engine is running hotter than normal. That's all I need to know. If the exhaust water is not robust and regular... there is a blockage of a busted impeller. Having said that I haven't see large fluctuations of the dial. Are you sure the gauge is working? Is the exhaust water normal?

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #10 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback. I believe this problem actually started at the end of last season. Just before layup the engine showed low water flow. It found some significant debris (different from what I got out of the other line) in the t-stat housing I took out the t-stat, tested it, reinstalled and it was working fine when winterized. Actually the first few hours this year the engine ran cold, 110°, which I payed off to the very low water temp, 38°f.

The thought about the water chamber where the t-stat resides being empty had crossed my mind. Not sure what, if anything, to make of that. The other possible issue is a suction side air leak. That can make for sudden temp rise. But the oscillating? These Volvo’s have a really silly water connection that never inspires confidence.

I think the bottom line is I’m getting debris in the system. I can understand it in the t-stat housing, maybe, but the line from the water pump? Worse comes to worse I’ll remove the exhaust manifold and try to clean that out.

Next week.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in