Sick Child - SailNet Community
Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Sick Child

I spent the heat spell last weekend on a mooring at the Port Jeff. Yacht Club on Long Island. After the weekend cruises had departed on Sunday evening there came a call over the VHF Channel 68 from a sailboat requesting a mooring from The Yacht Club. It seems the couple had a child on board who came down with the fever and they came to Port Jefferson to bring the child to a hospital for evaluation. The yacht club personnel on duty went into action and gave them a mooring close to the launch dock and advised on a local Taxi to call to take them to one of the two Hospitals located within two miles of the Yacht Club.
It got me thinking about the Rebel Heart situation from a few years ago. Which instead of a quick Taxi ride to help a sick child required a mid sea rescue of four people the scuttling of their boat and the dream of cruising the world.
MarkofSeaLife and Arcb like this.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mbianka; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: Sick Child

If the child had heat stroke or maybe had it... and ambulance should have been at the dock and the boat should have come along side to evacuate the child. Hard to tell from the description.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #3 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago

While heartbreaking to hear of the sick child, it's heartwarming to hear of the Yacht Clubs reaction. I hope the child is doing well.

Raising a child on a boat, or taking one for a very long cruise, is a clear risk. Many talk of their successful experience, which is terrific. There is still a risk that transcends the anecdotal successes. I'm guessing the odds are on one's favor, but the risk may be higher than some parents with wanderlust would like to admit.

The only ones that can decide are the parents.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago

If i had a child onboard i would want a healthy credit in an iridium account...and a mini pharmacy
post #5 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
While heartbreaking to hear of the sick child, it's heartwarming to hear of the Yacht Clubs reaction. I hope the child is doing well.

Raising a child on a boat, or taking one for a very long cruise, is a clear risk. Many talk of their successful experience, which is terrific. There is still a risk that transcends the anecdotal successes. I'm guessing the odds are on one's favor, but the risk may be higher than some parents with wanderlust would like to admit.

The only ones that can decide are the parents.
My children survived camping in the forest, bicycling across a big city on a regular basis, motorcycling in the wild and many other risky behaviors including boats and water.

Read this: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/21/w...-children.html
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #6 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasher View Post
My children survived camping in the forest, bicycling across a big city on a regular basis, motorcycling in the wild and many other risky behaviors including boats and water.

I am glad to hear your child survived what YOU choose to put them through.

How ever it has no relevance toward other children surviving other experiences

As was said it is a personal and individual parents choice and shaming their choices by innuendo is counter productive .

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #7 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Dock

100 years ago most parents expected to lose one or 2 children so had larger families and less cottonwood.

Kids were part of the world's exploration.
chef2sail likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #8 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
100 years ago most parents expected to lose one or 2 children so had larger families and less cottonwood.

Kids were part of the world's exploration.
This is exactly correct. The average number of children in a society is directly correlated to standard of living and mortality rates. Not religion, as some think. Religion is sometimes, not always, correlated to societies with large average family sizes, but is not causal. Families needed children to survive. Once you don't expect as many to perish and don't need them to be self sufficient (tend the farm), you have fewer.

There was a great Swedish (maybe Dane, I'm not certain) professor who studied the heck out of this. He was an excellent speaker and can be found on YouTube. He showed, as world wide standard of living increases and mortality rates improve (which are quantifiably happening, despite political rhetoric) the planet's population will cap off at around 10 billion. At that point, births will simply be replacing deaths. The silly science fiction movies about a crowded planet are fiction.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasher View Post

Didn't read the article, but your examples are a far cry from being outside helicopter range. My point was the risk of being unable to reach help for the sick or injured child. The parents gets to decide whether to take this risk, however, success stories do not define the risk.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #10 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago

mini pharmacy is important in this case, I hope the child doing well.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in