Getting young kids involved in planning - SailNet Community
Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Minnewaska
  • 1 Post By Arcb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-11-2019 Thread Starter

Getting young kids involved in planning

Our son is 2 now and we've been trying to get him involved in helping plan longer trips. We look at pictures of anchorages and stops along the way and he helps choose potential spots. We have also been trying to get him using the Navionics app (in a VERY basic way), showing him how to scroll around on the map and how he can make it "follow us".
What do other families to do get young kids involved in trip planning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-12-2019

Re: Getting young kids involved in planning

My father gave me a paper chart and a wiz wheel to do dead reckoning, when we were underway. Id measure distance to the next buoy on the chart, line up the wheel with that distance and our boat speed and solve for time to next waypoint. Then Id time it to see if I was right. As an adult, Im convinced my Father could likely see what we were navigating toward, but I was busy with the chart in my lap, like we were crossing an ocean. If the fix was too far away, Im sure Id have bored.

Much better way to learn navigation than on Navionics. It ingrains the basics, then let the computer take over.

I was about 9 or 10 years old at the time. 2 is premature.
capta likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-12-2019

Dock

My father would let me do nothing on his boat except swab the decks.

So I raced on other people boats. Successfully. His great loss effected our relationship for life.

I have taught some remarkably young children to use educational programs on a computer, one day the 18 month old sat on my knee and learned to use a mouse within 5 minutes. The only mistake was to try to move the cursor up but picking the mouse up. 3D!

So I would thoroughly recommend giving the child his own tablet (whatever you have finished using) and putting on Navionics, whatever, instead of the inane children's games.

Further, sit this brat on your knee and make him steer, make him identify landmarks, and learn to sail.

Book him in Optimist sailing classes from 5. It's amazing to see such little kids sail by themselves! 8 is too late.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #4 of 6 Old 08-12-2019

My son started sitting on my knee while I wheel steered at just past 1. He started helping tiller steering in the sailing dinghy at 2. He can tiller steer the trailer sailer under power not too badly now at 5.

He has been a good look out since he could say "boat". Now he differentiates between different types of boat. He really is a good look out, because he is always looking around.

Hes a good junior meteorologist too. Always lets me know when rain clouds are visible on the horizon.

Nothing with chart work so far. I would rather have him looking out at the water any way.

My daughter is just 1. Nothing yet.
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-12-2019
Master Mariner

My daughter was literally brought aboard the boat from the hospital and went sailing with us within days. She was standing watch on our circumnavigation by 6 and that's when we found out she needed glasses.
She hasn't sailed since she moved ashore to go to school at 12, though she does visit us in the Caribbean from time to time. I really don't blame her, after spending the first 12 years of her life on boats traveling, including 2 hurricanes at sea, numerous ones at anchor and not a lot of children in her childhood to play with.
But she is a happy, healthy woman in her 40's now, so I guess it has all worked out well for her.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #6 of 6 Old 08-12-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
She was standing watch on our circumnavigation by 6 and that's when we found out she needed glasses.

ROTFLMAO!!!

So you were not intending on going on a circumnavigation at all!!

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in