Solo sailing - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 53 Old 02-03-2016 Thread Starter

Re: Solo sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakeParagon View Post
Which drone are you planning to get? I've been flying with a DJI Phantom from the boat under sail and RIB underway for years and love it. But I was surprised as heck when I read this article recently:

The FAA's online registration form goes live on December 21st.
US drone operators must register with the FAA by February
Ordered the "Flying 3D X8" along with a $50 Chinese brushless gymbal for a GoPro which I already have, now that I destroyed two cheaper "trial" quadcopters lol.
scubadoo likes this.

SV Whisper
1981 Aloha 8.2
Hull #50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 02-03-2016

It's amazing how many different drones are out there and how affordable some of them are. Some of them are practically disposable. I see the Flying 3D X8 is much cheaper than the Phantom drones. I wonder how they compare.. I've lost so many drones already...
post #33 of 53 Old 02-03-2016

Quote:
It's amazing how many different drones are out there and how affordable some of them are. Some of them are practically disposable. I see the Flying 3D X8 is much cheaper than the Phantom drones. I wonder how they compare.. I've lost so many drones already...
Here's an interesting drone under development that looks like it may be useful to avoid damage with sailboat rigging. Sight lines would need to be improved though.
https://youtu.be/6yunaYjPsZs

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 53 Old 02-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Here's an interesting drone under development that looks like it may be useful to avoid damage with sailboat rigging. Sight lines would need to be improved though.
https://youtu.be/6yunaYjPsZs
Amazing! I wonder if they will be able to modify it with robotic arms so that it can go beyond just reconnaissance. Like a Packbot Defence and Security Robots: Models, Features, Learn More - iRobot
post #35 of 53 Old 02-04-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
This is no Phantom 3, but it's also only about 10% of the cost.
For a video platform this model is supposed to be quite stable, with decent payload abilities (GoPro and gymbal), good range, brushless motors and GPS hold. It's also one of the lowest priced quads with transmitter telemetry. $155.00.
Flying 3D X8 GPS 2.4G 8CH RC Quadcopter 6 Axis Gyro OSD RTF Drone - US Plug-154.67 | GearBest.com

Someone like you who does most of his shooting over water (I assume) and has suffered losses should take a look at the "Mariner" drone....which is exactly what the name implies

SV Whisper
1981 Aloha 8.2
Hull #50

Last edited by __floater__; 02-04-2016 at 07:17 AM.
post #36 of 53 Old 02-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by __floater__ View Post
Someone like you who does most of his shooting over water (I assume) and has suffered losses should take a look at the "Mariner" drone....which is exactly what the name implies
I have looked at the mariner a little. I love the idea of a waterproof drone, but ultimately what's most important to me is the quality of the footage I end up with and I think that has everything to do with how well the drone can fly. I don't think the mariner flies very well compared to the Phantom - speed, range, agility, precision control, stability, flight time, gimbal smoothness.. Have you seen any insanely great aerial videos made with a mariner drone? I haven't been able to find any. But there are so many jaw dropping insanely great aerial videos that have been made with the Phantom platform.. Here's a very old one made with a Phantom 2 and Gopro 3+, one of my favorites ... https://vimeo.com/97455734 I don't think I could do anything like that with a mariner.
flyrod and mbianka like this.
post #37 of 53 Old 02-04-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
I have looked at the mariner a little. I love the idea of a waterproof drone, but ultimately what's most important to me is the quality of the footage I end up with and I think that has everything to do with how well the drone can fly. I don't think the mariner flies very well compared to the Phantom - speed, range, agility, precision control, stability, flight time, gimbal smoothness.. Have you seen any insanely great aerial videos made with a mariner drone? I haven't been able to find any. But there are so many jaw dropping insanely great aerial videos that have been made with the Phantom platform.. Here's a very old one made with a Phantom 2 and Gopro 3+, one of my favorites ... I don't think I could do anything like that with a mariner.
I havent seen much footage from the Mariner either. The only one I found was the one Ali did reviewing it's marine abilities. I thought you could add one to your arsenal to use specifically for those risky wet shots.
Very beautiful video. My son just arrived home from Thailand two weeks ago. Such an interesting part of our planet.
Check out the 3dX8 videos on youtube...they capture some very impressive footage for their price.

SV Whisper
1981 Aloha 8.2
Hull #50

Last edited by __floater__; 02-04-2016 at 12:48 PM.
post #38 of 53 Old 02-23-2016

Quote:
Amazing! I wonder if they will be able to modify it with robotic arms so that it can go beyond just reconnaissance. Like a Packbot Defence and Security Robots: Models, Features, Learn More - iRobot
Or maybe it could be commanded to attach it's self to a perch on the mast to be an extra pair of "eyes" when entering strange reef entrances without sending someone up to the spreaders as a lookout.
drakeParagon likes this.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

post #39 of 53 Old 02-23-2016
grumpy old man

El Jefe solo non stop circumnavigation in a Baba 40 continues:

Day-112.
24hr.Run=128NM. Pos. Lat.45*07'S. Long.127*05'E. Weather=Bar=1008'mb. Wind=8-25kts.WNW. Seas=8-12ft. WNW. Cabin Temp=56*-62*.
Day-113.
24hr.Run=149 NM. Pos. Lat.45*12'S. Long.130*29'E. weather=Bar=107mb. Wind=10-25Kts.WNW. Seas=8-12ft.W. Cabin Temp=58*-62*.
Day-114.
24hr.Run=144 NM. Pos. Lat.45*45'S. Long.133*46'E. Weather=Bar=1004mb. Wind=10-25kts.WNW. Seas=8-12ft. WNW. Abin Tep.58*-60*.
Total miles sailed so far=15,394NM.
Miles sailed last three days=421 NM.
Distance left to go to East Cape Tasmania=590 NM.
Top speed so far=14.1kts.
The Rest of the Story.
Day-112.
Sailing along under mizzen main & staysail in weather just a little too dicey to pull Patches off for repair. A cold front is sneaking up on us very slowly, making it difficult to judge when it will arrive.
Tasmania looms ahead, surrounded by treacherous bodies of water, such as Bass Strait, Tasman Sea, and The Southern Ocean where we will be. Here we find ourselves with our back against the wall, as we have very little control over our arrival time, and this area to the south of Tasmaina is the sponing grounds of many sever low pressure systems.
Here aboard Sailors Run we can only hope for a little good luck transiting this stretch of ocean.
Day-113.
Today we are sailing fast along our course line, and it seems the high pressure in the area has stalled the cold fronts arrival. There is a low pressure trough up ahead that we might have the opportunity to collect some water in. I have decided that I will strip down to my underwear and slip on my Mustang work suite [A suite used by fisherman and Coast Guard alike when working in cold water areas]. This is necessary because I'm getting down to my last warm clothing. Should I get a lot of water then I can get some clothes washed up.
Today I wiped mold from some of the walls and oiled some of the teak wood below decks.
It's funny how that before this voyage, I had a huge list of things to do to get the boat ready to go, and low and behold once again I have another large list of things that need to be done to the boat, a battle that seems impossible to win.
Day-114.
Today I was pulling weather faxes and happened to notice a huge storm off Cape Horn, the likes of no sailor would care to participate in. It appeared two 964 lows had combined at the Horn and were tearing the place up.
My weather has been reassembly mild the past 5-days and it appears that will end tomorrow, when a big low moves up from the south onto the Sailors Run. It appears now that I will be ridding the northern top edge of the low in 35-45kt gale force conditions, and that should be ok. My only worry is if it comes in behind me and runs directly over the top of me meaning much more severe conditions for a longer period of time. "Feeling Lucky Punk".
Feeling Lucky the Jefe'.
PS. Be sure and check out the blog at , as Debbie is posting pictures of our past 17-years of cruising.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
post #40 of 53 Old 03-21-2016 Thread Starter

Even if you did design my boat, they still call this thread hijacking lol^

SV Whisper
1981 Aloha 8.2
Hull #50

Last edited by __floater__; 03-21-2016 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in