Solo sailing - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 53 Old 03-21-2016

Re: Solo sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by __floater__ View Post
I havent seen much footage from the Mariner either. The only one I found was the one Ali did reviewing it's marine abilities. I thought you could add one to your arsenal to use specifically for those risky wet shots.
Very beautiful video. My son just arrived home from Thailand two weeks ago. Such an interesting part of our planet.
Check out the 3dX8 videos on youtube...they capture some very impressive footage for their price.
Speaking of waterproof drones, have you seen the Lily drone? ->

It's not available yet, but the demo video shows some pretty amazing capabilities. There doesn't appear to be a remote control, but instead you carry a tracking device and the drone homes in on to follow and film you using different selectable flying patterns. I wonder if it can do certain types of follow me filming better than the new Phantom 4.
mbianka likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 53 Old 10-30-2016 Thread Starter

That heinous act. You know the one.

SV Whisper
1981 Aloha 8.2
Hull #50
post #43 of 53 Old 10-31-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakeParagon View Post
Speaking of waterproof drones, have you seen the Lily drone? -> Introducing the Lily Camera - YouTube

It's not available yet, but the demo video shows some pretty amazing capabilities. There doesn't appear to be a remote control, but instead you carry a tracking device and the drone homes in on to follow and film you using different selectable flying patterns. I wonder if it can do certain types of follow me filming better than the new Phantom 4.
Interesting. Been thinking about a drone and the waterproof feature makes it a no brainer to use on a boat. I do like that it is somewhat autonomous. Since I mostly sail solo I can concentrate on running the boat and not be distracted by having to fiddle with joysticks to get some shots of the boat.

Mike
Currently: Spring Outfitting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #44 of 53 Old 10-31-2016
One of None

Re: That heinous act. You know the one.

Quote:
driver was going waaaaaay too fast!

We did it spring and fall with 30ft + boats in my club. Not for the faint of heart.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #45 of 53 Old 10-31-2016

Quote:
Try that over here a few times and watch your truck disappear into a pile of rust particles. Doable in freshwater but you better not plan on longevity for the tow vehicle in salt water.

Last edited by roverhi; 10-31-2016 at 06:49 PM.
post #46 of 53 Old 10-31-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Interesting. Been thinking about a drone and the waterproof feature makes it a no brainer to use on a boat. I do like that it is somewhat autonomous. Since I mostly sail solo I can concentrate on running the boat and not be distracted by having to fiddle with joysticks to get some shots of the boat.
The DJI Mavic Pro is the current "everything" drone and for good reason. It's my next bird.

SV Whisper
1981 Aloha 8.2
Hull #50
post #47 of 53 Old 11-01-2016

Quote:
The DJI Mavic Pro is the current "everything" drone and for good reason. It's my next bird.
The DJI Mavic is nice especially for it's compact size. But, is it waterproof like the Lily? Would hate to be throwing $800 bucks over the side should it accidently hit a shroud or topping lift? Another question for me would be does it have an autonomous mode?

Mike
Currently: Spring Outfitting

post #48 of 53 Old 11-03-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
The DJI Mavic is nice especially for it's compact size. But, is it waterproof like the Lily? Would hate to be throwing $800 bucks over the side should it accidently hit a shroud or topping lift? Another question for me would be does it have an autonomous mode?
The Mavic is definitely not waterproof, but with it's enhanced GPS/GLONAS stability along with downward facing sonic and optic sensors it's likely quite safe over water. Plus, I've seen many videos of them being hand grabbed.

SV Whisper
1981 Aloha 8.2
Hull #50
post #49 of 53 Old 11-03-2016 Thread Starter

Hove to for the show

SV Whisper
1981 Aloha 8.2
Hull #50
post #50 of 53 Old 11-03-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
driver was going waaaaaay too fast!

We did it spring and fall with 30ft + boats in my club. Not for the faint of heart.

Too fast?
Once she's clear of the water head for level ground in the parking area. No need to dally on the ramp.
Then I haul it at 80km/hr down the highway 11kms.
Eeeek!

SV Whisper
1981 Aloha 8.2
Hull #50

Last edited by __floater__; 11-04-2016 at 11:29 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in