DrakeParagon: Season 3 - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 86 Old 08-17-2016 Thread Starter

Re: DrakeParagon: Season 3

yes, Stornoway. love it here. great fishing. lots of seals. have you been to the the isle of lewis?

Last edited by drakeParagon; 09-07-2016 at 02:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 86 Old 08-23-2016 Thread Starter

Asian Market Provisioning | #15 | DrakeParagon Season 3

Asian Market Provisioning | #15 | DrakeParagon Season 3

Who is the cook? Will we go south in the winter? Are marinas expensive? Drake gets an impromptu interview by a cab driver and long time resident of Boston. We also start the massive provisioning with a trip to a local Asian store. What's on the menu aboard Paragon? Stay with us to find out!

Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
post #33 of 86 Old 09-01-2016 Thread Starter

Sew Your Boat | #16 | DrakeParagon Season 3

It's project day aboard Paragon! Break out the adjustable palm and 5200 because the fix is on. An unexpected visit from an old friend (Remember Gigi!) completes the day before the weather takes a turn...will a wet day change our plans? Stick with us to find out!

post #34 of 86 Old 09-07-2016 Thread Starter

The Iron Genny | #17 | DrakeParagon Season 3

The plan was to have a rainy day of sailing. I guess things don't always go as planned. We leave Boston behind and head to Gloucester to do the final prep and provisioning before pushing off for foreign ports. Join us as we head to our last anchorage in America for many years!

post #35 of 86 Old 09-21-2016 Thread Starter

Bud Taplin to the Rescue | #18 | DrakeParagon Season 3

The clock is ticking and, at three days behind schedule, there's a lot to do aboard Paragon. After a long day on the water there's no happy hour for this crew. We hit the ground running and start the first massive provisioning that will prepare the boat for the journey to come...if it comes. Will the rudder issue delay our departure? Perhaps Bud Taplin can give us the answer. Stay with us!

post #36 of 86 Old 10-04-2016 Thread Starter

I ♥ Rose's Marine | #19 | DrakeParagon Season 3

With the good news from Bud still ringing in our ears (Yay, the rudder can be fixed!), we finish the first of our 3 hour provisioning outings. How many trips does it take to row a truck load of food out to the boat? Then, we spend the next day on the hunt for boat parts and the magic material that will fix our rudder woes. Stay with us!

post #37 of 86 Old 10-11-2016 Thread Starter

Fixing the Rudder | #20 | DrakeParagon Season 3 on: Season 3

We're finally fixing the rudder...with a little help from our friends. (Remember Geoff from episode 2, Big Dreams!) It's a big day spent stowing and repairing, and even a little homage to the Titanic. Join us for a glass of cheer and maybe even some unexpected Karaoke!
post #38 of 86 Old 10-12-2016

Eanna when asked bout the weight of the propane tank: 25 pounds means old money to me.... that was a good one.

Man that is a lot of food. More than stores in some countries....
You could have saved a lot of money by doing the provisioning in NS, you automatically get a 35% discount on the US Dollar.
Having said that, what I used to do before long passages was to talk to the manager before doing the shopping, I sometimes got a discount on volume. Do you do this?

In any case, how do you find stuff? Was Monique updating an inventory with the location of everything? Just curious.

Keep them great videos coming.

Where are you guys now?
post #39 of 86 Old 10-18-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
What I used to do before long passages was to talk to the manager before doing the shopping, I sometimes got a discount on volume. Do you do this?
Never asked for a discount, but on more than a few occasions I did ask a store manager to deliver my purchases to the boat instead of me having to bring it all back in a cab.

Because of the quantity of groceries I was purchasing, each time they were happy to figure out a way to deliver it to my boat for free.

One time in particular in Manhattan was really hilarious. Paragon was on a mooring at the West 79th Street Boat Basin Marina and the most affordable grocery store was at least 12 blocks up Broadway. They didn't have a vehicle to deliver my groceries, but instead he had 5 employees push my 5 carts for 12 blocks all way back to my boat, at night. I was in front feeling like I was leading a little parade.

Quote:

In any case, how do you find stuff? Was Monique updating an inventory with the location of everything? Just curious.
Having the 100+ 1 gallon Lock and Lock brand containers has helped to organize all of the rices, pastas, cereals, and other dry goods. We have 4 big bins for different types of canned goods (meats and fish, tomato products, beans, soups) Another locker is entirely for anything in a plastic bottle...

Quote:

Where are you guys now?
We are spending the winter in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland and hoping to sail to Faroe, Svalbard, Tromso and Lofoten next year.
post #40 of 86 Old 10-18-2016 Thread Starter

Weather Window | #21| DrakeParagon Season 3

We're a week behind schedule when a weather window presents itself, looming large on the horizon which means we've got to kick it into high gear. Stocking up on stores, spare parts, fuel, and final prep stands between us and our push off date. Stay with us as we prepare Paragon for the voyage ahead!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in