DrakeParagon: Season 3 - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 86 Old 10-21-2016
Sea Scout

Re: DrakeParagon: Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakeParagon View Post
...We are spending the winter in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland and hoping to sail to Faroe, Svalbard, Tromso and Lofoten next year.
Next year, the National Scout Jamboree of the Norwegian Guide and Scout Association are held in Bodoe in the beginning of July. I guess there will be a few boats from the SeaScouts there as well. Not sure if I will make it myself, but my youngest kid, my daughter, is planning on sailing a 40 feet Colin Archer up there. If you are in the neighbourhood, it would be worth a visit, I guess.
Jamboree website
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 86 Old 10-22-2016

Re: Weather Window | #21| DrakeParagon Season 3

Quote:
.....Stocking up on stores.....
Curious. You mention being away for three years, while provisioning. Seeing a half dozen bottles each of ketchup and sriracha seemed like you were provisioning these items for the entire three years. Was that the attempt? How did it go? The stores were clearly more than necessary to just cross the pond. Why so much?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #43 of 86 Old 10-25-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnarne View Post
Next year, the National Scout Jamboree of the Norwegian Guide and Scout Association are held in Bodoe in the beginning of July. I guess there will be a few boats from the SeaScouts there as well. Not sure if I will make it myself, but my youngest kid, my daughter, is planning on sailing a 40 feet Colin Archer up there. If you are in the neighbourhood, it would be worth a visit, I guess.
Jamboree website
That looks awesome! Bodo is definitely on our list for when we sail down the Norwegian coast, but if all goes to plan then in early July we will be enroute from Faroe to Svalbard.

post #44 of 86 Old 10-25-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Curious. You mention being away for three years, while provisioning. Seeing a half dozen bottles each of ketchup and sriracha seemed like you were provisioning these items for the entire three years. Was that the attempt? How did it go? The stores were clearly more than necessary to just cross the pond. Why so much?
I guess the short answer would be yes, we intended to get these provisions to last for as long as possible.

The plan was to be away from America for a minimum of three years and we wanted to take advantage of the stores in Gloucester for various reasons. At the time the British Pound and Euro were extremely strong which meant we would pay double (or more!) for many things. Prices in Greenland were an unknown entity for us, but a friend told me Iceland could be quite pricey.

We were also concerned about availability of some of our favourite items. Certainly there is ketchup, but is there Sriracha? Often the answer has either been no OR yes at an exorbitant price. ($10+ dollars for a teeny, tiny bottle of Sriracha?!?)

Getting so many staples at a lower price meant we saved an extraordinary amount of money in the long run. The cost of getting stuck in Iceland for the winter was substantially softened because we didn't have to buy most dry goods.

It was the best of both worlds really. We were able to take advantage of local grocery stores for produce, meats, and dairy items and also save money by having a large store of rices, pasta, and condiments.

I wouldn't change a thing...um, except I probably wouldn't get Spam. Did not dig the Spam at all. (✿◠‿◠) ⚓-Monique
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
post #45 of 86 Old 10-25-2016 Thread Starter

Paper Charts | #22| DrakeParagon Season 3

In the middle of the digital age, we delve into the world of paper charts. Our orders have arrived and it's time to organize and arrange the backups to our backups. What have we got and where will it go? As we finish gathering our final food stores, we take a look at Paragon's provisioning. Ever wonder what almost $500 worth of fuel filters looks like? Wonder no more as we stand on the cusp of our departure...stay with us!

post #46 of 86 Old 10-25-2016

Quote:
I guess the short answer would be yes, we intended to get these provisions to last for as long as possible.......

snip

I wouldn't change a thing...um, except I probably wouldn't get Spam. Did not dig the Spam at all. (✿◠‿◠) ⚓-Monique
Thanks for the recap. Interesting perspective on long term stocking of provisions. I couldn't imagine where it all went.

Yes, spam is survival/prisoner food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #47 of 86 Old 11-01-2016 Thread Starter

Sh*t Happens | #23 | DrakeParagon Season 3

What's a sailing adventure without a few last minute calamities. As a tropical storm blusters overhead, we're on the fence about pushing off. Should we sail on the heels of a named storm, or delay and push our schedule even further behind? Just as we think things can't get more complicated, we suddenly find ourselves up a creek without a...head? Stay with us!

Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
post #48 of 86 Old 11-02-2016

Dock

Been watching these for a while. Great technical channel.

Check out our YouTube Channel Sailing Vessel Somnium

post #49 of 86 Old 11-03-2016

Crazy about that head.

"Freedom is the increased knowledge of what you can do without." —Thoreau
post #50 of 86 Old 11-08-2016 Thread Starter

Welcome Aboard Harry | #24 | DrakeParagon Season 3

We explore by land, sea, and...air! See the inception of ParagonSkies with our newest addition aboard the boat. It's a steep learning curve, but the payoff is worth every bump and crash. We also get a chance to hang out with fellow cruisers in the anchorage as we compare stories, boats, and wish lists. Stay with us!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in