Sailing across the Coral Sea, the beginning of an epic sailing adventure - Learning B - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 01-14-2019 Thread Starter
Vernon

Re: Sailing across the Coral Sea, the beginning of an epic sailing adventure - Learni

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrWinter View Post
Interesting vid, thanks for sharing. I'm curious about your relationship with Tom. What were you expecting from him at the start, an extra pair of hands, him able to do watches for you, or was he a tourist? Did you view him as an adult or was he a kid you were taking on a trip? Glad you guys both made it safely to your destination and impressive that you were able to single hand it the whole way. It must have been trying dealing with 1 out of 1 crew down for the count. I imagine it also must have been a real bad scene for Tom if he was just curled up in that bunk for 8 days straight, he could not have been in a good place. I imagine if he was seasick and it didn't abate for a week straight that would be pretty rough on a person, but I wasn't sure how much was physiological and how much was mental. A shame it went down that way but good on you for getting all safely to the destination through some tough weather.

Thanks mrWinter, yeah a pretty exhausting trip but I learnt a lot and most importantly we arrived safe and sound. Tom was planning on staying aboard for 2-3 months, taking part in the adventure, learning to sail etc, that was his hope anyway. He wasn't seasick, had no problem cooking etc but didn't come on deck once during the passage and wouldn't listen to any of my advice or ideas on how to improve his situation. I had plenty of seasick meds also if needed. Obviously I knew he was young but he came across as mature, his parents who I spoke with twice also said he was capable. I think he was just totally overwhelmed by everything and mentally shut down. A real shame and I hope Tom has put it behind him. I personally found out that its much easier to sail solo than with someone you cant rely on and enjoy it a lot now.
MarkofSeaLife and PhilCarlson like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 01-14-2019

Re: Sailing across the Coral Sea, the beginning of an epic sailing adventure - Learni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon Deck View Post
Thanks mrWinter, yeah a pretty exhausting trip but I learnt a lot and most importantly we arrived safe and sound. Tom was planning on staying aboard for 2-3 months, taking part in the adventure, learning to sail etc, that was his hope anyway. He wasn't seasick, had no problem cooking etc but didn't come on deck once during the passage and wouldn't listen to any of my advice or ideas on how to improve his situation. I had plenty of seasick meds also if needed. Obviously I knew he was young but he came across as mature, his parents who I spoke with twice also said he was capable. I think he was just totally overwhelmed by everything and mentally shut down. A real shame and I hope Tom has put it behind him. I personally found out that its much easier to sail solo than with someone you cant rely on and enjoy it a lot now.
Interesting stuff, certainly a learning experience for both of you. I wonder if a softer entry could have eased him into it or if he was just not destined for this. Hopefully he got something good out of it too. Thanks for sharing.

I checked out a couple of your other vids, (6-months in paradise and the turtle one), and liked them both and subscribed.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-14-2019

Dock

Yes, fantastic video (I'll talk a bit more in the Video forum)

Wonderful to see you can actually make it there by yourself
well done.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #14 of 17 Old 01-16-2019

Dock

Bravo! Well done and congratulations!
The Following User Says Thank You to PhilCarlson For This Useful Post:
Vernon Deck (01-16-2019)
post #15 of 17 Old 01-16-2019
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon Deck View Post
Well this is it!
After 3 seasons of learning, fails, funtimes and amazing adventures up and down the east coast of Australia its finally time to begin my overseas sailing adventure. I set off from Gladstone, Australia and sail across the Coral Sea to Honiara, Solomon Islands. This was my first ever completed offshore passage and it took me 8 days to cover the 1100 mile (2000km) journey. I faced some pretty challenging conditions but my awesome boat Schiehallion powered on through and I arrived without any serious problems. I did battle some up and down emotions though!

A new episode every friday for the next 12-13 weeks.

https://youtu.be/3imRRf6EIbk

Ok,hey man,,, loved the video and I am looking forward to the trip reports. I suggest you make your signature line a link to your youtube channel so that other members can access it from anywhere you have posted.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #16 of 17 Old 01-16-2019 Thread Starter
Vernon

Hi Mark
Glad you liked it!
I've been traveling my whole adult life with my job as a snowboard photographer. The reason I decided to learn how to sail though was I saw an opportunity to be able to go places where most people cant get to. The times of real adventure and discovery are long past I think but with my boat I can at least get to some very remote places that have been relatively unaffected by our western culture(apart from religion, that seems to have reached all corners off the earth).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Yes, fantastic video (I'll talk a bit more in the Video forum)

Wonderful to see you can actually make it there by yourself
well done.

Mark
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #17 of 17 Old 01-17-2019 Thread Starter
Vernon

Thanks!
Yeah good idea about the link, I'll do it.

Take care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Ok,hey man,,, loved the video and I am looking forward to the trip reports. I suggest you make your signature line a link to your youtube channel so that other members can access it from anywhere you have posted.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in