How to make GREAT Videos! - Page 10 - SailNet Community
 111Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 101 Old 02-03-2019
Gemini 105Mc

Re: How to make GREAT Videos!

I found this video from Paul and Sherry Shard interesting. It talks about their camera gear, not just what they are using now, what they have used over many of the years of documenting their journeys.

I remember leaving a Best Buy somewhere around the year 2000-2001, with two digital cameras that cost more than my first car.......

Anyhow, had a chuckle when he explains the underwater video camera housing that cost over $5000.00, now worth about 100 dollars.

MarkofSeaLife and mbianka like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 101 Old 02-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
I found this video from Paul and Sherry Shard interesting. It talks about their camera gear, not just what they are using now, what they have used over many of the years of documenting their journeys.

I remember leaving a Best Buy somewhere around the year 2000-2001, with two digital cameras that cost more than my first car.......

Anyhow, had a chuckle when he explains the underwater video camera housing that cost over $5000.00, now worth about 100 dollars.
I still shed a tear looking at my unused Sony vx1000 mini DV camera. Original cost $3,500 in 2000. Now worth about $300 to $600 on eBay. On the bright side I can now get a GoPro knock off Action Camera for $49 and it can even record in 4k! Now if only lithium batteries would experience similar price drops life would be good indeed.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 101 Old 02-03-2019
Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Now if only lithium batteries would experience similar price drops life would be good indeed.
As my AGM's approach the end of their useful life, I too, am awaiting this phenomenon.

post #94 of 101 Old 02-03-2019

Quote:
As my AGM's approach the end of their useful life, I too, am awaiting this phenomenon.
Off track, but....
If you look into Li, avoiding the scare naysayers, you will prob sell yourself...easily

On track...
I zpent bega bucks before on 'pro/am gear' rhat is now useless...not adaptable.
But...we feel like we have ro do our thing..now
post #95 of 101 Old 02-04-2019
Gemini 105Mc

Here's another describing making their videos. Interesting part around the 4:00 minute mark about taking 10 days of shooting to get 24 minutes of video.

SanderO and mbianka like this.
post #96 of 101 Old 02-04-2019

Quote:
Here's another describing making their videos. Interesting part around the 4:00 minute mark about taking 10 days of shooting to get 24 minutes of video.
They certainly produce nice videos. Not sure if they answered the question if they made a million dollars with their sailing videos. But, then they are about to take delivery of a brand new boat. Though I wonder how much of it might also be tax deductible. They do spend a lot of time on board working on their videos so it's very legit. Though personally I still prefer to spend my time in the cockpit staring at Osprey hunting in the harbor and not watching them through a viewfinder. Even without producing videos on a regular basis it's amazing how fast a season can go by. Spending the hours editing one's video's would take away even more time.

Mike

post #97 of 101 Old 02-04-2019
Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Not sure if they answered the question if they made a million dollars with their sailing videos. But, then they are about to take delivery of a brand new boat.
This is their third brand new boat.... All of which were close that price alone. So they have apparently done quite well.

I'm with you though, I prefer not to have to document everything that's going on and just enjoy time on the boat.

Many years ago, before I owned boats, I golfed every day. Guess what, I hated watching golf on television, thought it was the most boring thing ever.....
mbianka likes this.
post #98 of 101 Old 05-25-2019

I thought we had more things we were going to discuss on this thread, but I can't remember what.

So, I thought I would share my top 5 revenue generating videos, since I figure that's a motivation for some folks starting Youtube channels- beer money for cruising.

Here's a hint, none of them are cruising videos, they are repair, how to and reviews.

1) is a video about trouble shooting outboards kn the water. Shot of actual outboard issues I trouble shot on the water; out of gas, fishing line in prop, broken kill switch, fouled plugs.

2) outboard again; comparing propulsion power and range of a gas outboard to an electric trolling motor.

3) Walker Bay 8 Sail Rig Review

4) Outboard again. Review of a Honda 2.3.

5)How to set up a tent in a strong wind. I was out on an isthmus and had to get our tent set up for the night. It was blowing like snot, so I just put my camera on a tripod and filmed/talked to the camera while I set up the tent.
MarkofSeaLife and mbianka like this.
post #99 of 101 Old 05-25-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Mike-
I would guess that under US tax rules, if they set up a video production company for the purposes of making their travelogues, that the company could purchase all of the gear--including the boat--and take it as a legitimate business expense. If the company then accounted for the "room and board" or personal use of the boat and broke that out as just another normal expense, and did so reasonably, that should keep the tax men disgruntled but no more than usual. I've never seen "Distant Shores" on TV but then again, there's lots I haven't seen. Anyone trying to formalize their boating as part of a travelogue business probably should have a long discussion with a CPA and tax attorney, to make sure it is set up optimally from the start. But then again, a lot of countries have formal requirements about video production and filming, and I think most of the folks on YT have just been staying below the radar on that.
Anyone can buy a camera, producing something a network will carry is a bit harder.
mbianka likes this.
post #100 of 101 Old 05-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Mike-

Anyone can buy a camera, producing something a network will carry is a bit harder.
The media landscape has changed since the days when Networks ruled the world. You Tube has enabled some to eek out a
living making videos. But, even that seems to getting over saturated these days. Some are better than others at producing interesting video content. Others seem to be arrogant newbies making videos about how cool they are. I expect some to crash and burn and disappear and not last long. Even those who have been around a while are getting a little long in the tooth.

Mike

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in