How to make GREAT Videos! - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 111Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 101 Old 01-16-2019 Thread Starter

Dock
Re: How to make GREAT Videos!

Shots / Terminology / You’re right / You’re Wrong

Just digressing a moment…

Last line of my last post I wrote a ‘disclaimer’ saying some rules and terminology might be different. So I just clicked on a page to make sure some of my terminology is the same as American movie terminology.
Whislt basically the same… the rest of the world doesn’t have a Cowboy Shot, nor does it use some other words like “choke shot”.
Theres lots of words that professionals might use especially when they work with each other constantly.
So please don't yell at me for not using words youve used before, just amalgamate your terms.
For us its better to be totally simple and use as few words as we can.

I like Est, WS, CU, ECU. Many folks might want to call the Est a WS and use MS (medium Shot) in place of WS. No matter what you call them, we are trying to keep to 4 easy to remember and shoot shots. If you bring in a 5th shot, fine, but don’t overload your creative brain.

Remember… this creativity stuff is all about art. Before you paint the Mona Lisa you must learn to draw Micky Mouse. (ummm not sure this is necessary nowadays)

The design of each shot comes from within you, dont be restricted to what I or anyone says, give it a go your way... better, give it a go several ways and then see which works best when you are in edit.

Heres a website with a few shots I’ve never heard of…. Have a look

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...era-shot-types
Davy J likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 01-16-2019 at 09:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 101 Old 01-16-2019
Gemini 105Mc

That was a great link and very informative, glad you found and posted it.
post #33 of 101 Old 01-16-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

Cheats!

In Arcbs upcoming shoot “I want to do clips of the boat moving through the water at some different speed categories. Under 2.5, 2.5-3, 3-3.5, 3.5-4, over 4 knots”

We know theres somethings impossible to shoot: Big waves look flat and calm. A raceboat surfing at 22 knots looks like old ladies slowly sailing a dinghy on a Sunday afternoon.

To show the difference in 5 speed categories we are *really* gunna have to work hard and cheat a bit or no one will see any difference at all.
This is an excellent exercise to do for your video making.

On your boat without looking at the speed instrument how do you determine boat speed?
Primarily the speed of bubbles going backwards as we go forwards. At 2 knots they are slow and gentle; 4 knots they zip backwards (in a dinghy)… at 20 knots they're too fast to see.

What other action can we see speed, but not really be able to determain the the speed in knots?
Spray between the genoa and water;
Heeling
Wake
Lower speeds: Clear sunny weather, no waves, no ripples
Faster speeds: waves, bouncing, spray, crew moves faster.

What do we want in our shots?
under 2.5 knots: CU Bubble without the boat in shot… Pan with the bubble. It makes the bubble look like its lazily moving. Lack of boat in shot means theres no reference to speed. Slow action. Dissolves instead of cuts, placid. Lazy. Crew looking at flying duck, scenery etc.
2.5 to 3: Same shot, slower pan so the bubbles exit the frame left.
3.5 Wider shot so you see the side of the boat as well as the bubbles thus you see the boat moving more in relation to the bubbles.
3.5 to 4 knots same shot as 3.5 but add an action like winding a winch. Pan against the bubble making them look faster.
Over 4 knots. Put camera lower, further back, in the line of the gunwale, looking forward, action of winching (pulling in sheets – whatever happens in a dinghy ), crew moving quickly, cutaways shot of water under the genoa with spray, splashing. Quick cuts! Fast! Action!

You could shoot all this in the same wind conditions. For the slow speed shots head downwind, furl the jib etc (don’t show it furled, obviously!). For the fast shots head upwind maybe pinch too much so you get more spray and more wave action.
Yes, these are “cheats” but you are not lying to your audience, you are just trying to get around the technical difficulties of cameras on boats.

In Edit: Slow is one, lazy long 10 second shot, music soft, slow, dreamy. Fast is 10 seconds full of fast cut 1 second shots, louder faster music.

Without using "cheats" its more difficult but you can try: Lock the camera onto the gunwale afft where it can see the water up to the jib/genoa. Shoot all different speeds. In edit jump cut between them all just 1 second or less each and see if that shows the speed difference. It might but I think it will be so small you still need to use a cheat. Maybe try 1/2 second cuts. I doubt longer than 1 second would work. but, hey, its art - go experiment

Next time I will do @SanderO s question about Equipment.
Arcb likes this.

Sea Life
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 01-16-2019 at 09:50 AM.

post #34 of 101 Old 01-16-2019

Okay, nice answer. Working on this vid again today. I have it down to 10 minutes, down from about 90 minutes worth of footage. Going to see if I can shave some more off and still cover what I want to cover.

This one isnt part of my cruising series, its one of my technical vids, which is where my views come from. My technical vids tend to be a bit longer because I try to get into how and why things work. My analytics show my technical vids getting over 10 times the watch time of my cruising type videos.

So while I do try to get my technical vids as short as I can, I feel like the gritty details and longer lengths of those vids arent necessarily hurting me.

Time to go out to a freezing boat cabin and talk at my camera

Last edited by Arcb; 01-16-2019 at 03:45 PM.
post #35 of 101 Old 01-16-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Okay, nice answer. Working on this vid again today. I have it down to 10 minutes, down from about 90 minutes worth of footage.
OK, so that means you already have your shots, so my ideas wont work as they were shooting tips.

At some later stage we ought to talk about scripts so you dont end up with 90 minutes of vieo to drag through finding the bits you really need

But furst fings forst.

BTW, I wouldn't be too worried about analytics at this stage. Its probably where the news media have fallen off the rails... they so want the Clicks they have started to tell lies. Make a good story and your viewers will come.

Yes, technical videos are different, all genres are different from each other... we must know the style of video we are doing and keep in that genre. John Wayne wearing six-guns looks stupid on the bridge of Captain Kirks Enterprise!

Arcb likes this.

Sea Life

post #36 of 101 Old 01-16-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoran View Post
I extracted some common mistakes that newcomers make (including myself) and made a video outlining them: https://youtu.be/EsCtnKZF_qw
Hi Bill,

Yes, good video.

When you started talking about how long a video should be I had just started to clean my teeth. I had a look and it was at 5:00 and you just said any longer than 5 minutes is too longÖ then yours kept going to 12:29. Why break your own rule?

I like the energy and you've sustained that energy throughout the video. Very good.

Mark

Sea Life

post #37 of 101 Old 01-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
I watched your video and agree with many of the things you are saying. In my mind, I wonder how long sailing videos in general will keep viewership?
My opinion on the matter is that the ones who do it well will always have an audience. Consider the fact that sitcoms are mostly recycling the same jokes, and yet they continue to be popular. You can point out that most entertainment media are repetitive and that doesn't stop people from consuming it. That being said, only time will tell.

Quote:
I watched a few of the "big name" sailing video's and found that after a few episodes I was bored and went on to something else. Maybe it's because I've actually been out sailing and cruising around myself.......... You know, like having dolphins around the boat, happens quite frequently. Not really interesting to me to watch.
I've been having a similar issue. Also, after forcing myself to watch so many sub-par videos, I think it's burned me out even on the good ones. I think the creators need to figure out how to mix up what they're doing a bit.

Quote:
One thing you mentioned is about the sidebar pulling views away from the main video. Many people, me included, rarely watch YouTube on my computer. It's streamed through my Roku and watched directly on TV. When done this way there is no sidebar. The main video fills the screen completely.
According to youtube statistics, only 12% of my video views are from a TV or game console (I'm pretty sure both of those platforms lack the sidebar). As a result, the advice about being easily drawn away applies to 88% of viewers. While that's not everyone, it's a statically significant portion of the viewers.
post #38 of 101 Old 01-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Hi Bill,
When you started talking about how long a video should be I had just started to clean my teeth. I had a look and it was at 5:00 and you just said any longer than 5 minutes is too longÖ then yours kept going to 12:29. Why break your own rule?
Like I said, I'm no pro. I tried and tried to get that video shorter. I also shot multiple takes. I threw away a bunch of information (I originally had 10 things) etc, etc, etc.

In the end, I felt like it was time to move on to the next project as it wasn't working out and I was spending a lot of time on it. Then I had a discussion with someone on one of the Facebook groups and he expressed interest in seeing the video. After a bit of thought, I decided that I was falling into the trap of not doing anything just because I couldn't get it perfect. So I made one last editing pass and published the video.

I think the important lesson here is that getting all these things right takes time and practice. Understanding what we should be achieving is only the first step, but acquiring the skill to achieve it takes far longer. However, falling into that trap of "I won't do anything until I can do it perfectly" isn't quite productive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I like the energy and you've sustained that energy throughout the video. Very good.

Mark
Thanks!
MarkofSeaLife and mbianka like this.
post #39 of 101 Old 01-16-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
What about optimal clip length?

Here is a scenario. I am working on editing a "speed trial" vid for one of my boats. My reaching speed varies from about 2.3-4.8 knots depending on gust or lull. I want to do clips of the boat moving through the water at some different speed categories. Under 2.5, 2.5-3, 3-3.5, 3.5-4, over 4. ...
NOTE: Arcb, I started writing this response before I saw the more informed ones by Mark. My only useful experience is to know who your audience really is, and given them what they want and need.

Well, Iíll take a stab at this Arcb. I donít know what the optimal length is, but I can say it will vary depending on the audience and the purpose of the presentation.

What you describe sounds like fairly dry technical stuff. Itís not going to be of much interest to anyone other than those already keenly engaged in the topic. So your audience is fairly narrow.

But this is good b/c a focused, pre-engaged audience is one you donít have to baby or spoon feed. You can take greater liberties with an audience that is already sold on the subject.

So in this case, you could run your clips longer than if youíre aiming at a more general audience. How long? In this case, as long as is required to demonstrate the technical difference youíre showing.

As long ó but no longer. Technical folk will want the information (or want to see the difference), and then move on. All this said, my sense and, limited vid experience, is that 30 seconds of the same thing is loooong clip. Iíd aim for shorter.
Arcb likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #40 of 101 Old 01-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
What you describe sounds like fairly dry technical stuff.
Thats exactly what makes it interesting. Cruising dinghies are fringe to start with. Raid boats are even more out there. My current focus, sailing Kayaks set up for cruising is really out there. I only know one other guy putting out videos on the topic right now. I didnt even know the sport existed a year ago. Its my niche.

My vid I have been working on is done btw, I have incorporated some of both your ideas and Marks, I like the results. Went with 20 seconds or less for my speed clips and reduced it to 3 categories; slow (0-3 knots), cruisin (3-4 knots) and fast (over 4 knots). Mark was right, there wasnt enough granularity in the images to distinguish more than a few speed categories. Also gave myself more facetime explaning the results, which I think you mentioned.

Last edited by Arcb; 01-16-2019 at 07:13 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in