How to make GREAT Videos! - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 111Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 101 Old 01-20-2019 Thread Starter

Dock
Re: How to make GREAT Videos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post

I happen to know from the comments section, a lot of my viewers are; small boat owners (trailer sailors, dinghies, canoe, kayak and SUP).
NO! You don't know that! All you know is that the people who have COMMENTED on your video are

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 101 Old 01-20-2019

I see how that all works for a tv audience, but I make youtube videos, based on how I use youtube. I dont watch any of the sailing lifestyle videos. I dont patreon, and nor do I use patreon.

When I google "how to remove rear wheel bearing on John Deere Tractor model XYZ", I want good quality, clear instructions and lots of detail, if a creator flashes a bunch of bikini and keeps the vid under 4 minutes, its just going to piss me off. If the video is sufficiently detailed, I will take my tablet out into the drive way with me and work through the steps with the content creator. If the vid saves me $300 to hire a tractor repairman, then you can be certain that creator is going on my subscribe list for the next time when I have an issue with my Power Take Off.

There are a lot of folks out there making good how tos and reviews that get a ton of views.

Boat reviews, car reviews, gun reviews, how to change impeller on perkins 4 108, how to reef Catalina 22, how to correct capsize with high brace etc. These channels maybe dont attract the big subscriber count or the recurrent audience as the sailing lifestyle vids, but they definitely get the views. Because they get views, they can eventually get the subscribers if that is an important metric to the creator.

Basically, I agree that a 4 minute lifestyle vid should be shot like a 4 minute lifestyle vid, but I am not sure I agree a quality how to vid or review should be shot like a 4 minute lifestyle vid.

The idea of splitting a how to or review vid into multiple parts I dont think makes sense either. Somebody is looking for information. They want it all in one place. No one wants to get halfway through a job then go searching across the internet for the other half of their "how to make a Key Lime Pie" vid.
MikeOReilly and mbianka like this.
post #53 of 101 Old 01-20-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
if a creator flashes a bunch of bikini and keeps the vid under 4 minutes, its just going to piss me off.
So dont think all sail vids should be edited for the short attention span slam entertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
I watch some of the sailing vids to get ideas..not to be entertained, really.

For entertainment there are vids of water buffalo goring and tosing lions, also films of spies getting the girl...cool stuff.

So dont think all sail vids should be edited for the short attention span slam entertainment

It feels like both of you have a pretence of not understanding what the word 'entertaining' means.
Its doesn't mean singin, dancing and telling jokes in a rip-roaring video extravaganza destined to slay 'em in the aisles.

So lets hit the book and you have a look at the synonyms and especially the antonyms:

Quote:
Synonyms & Antonyms for entertaining
Synonyms:
amusing, delightful, diverting, enjoyable, fun, pleasurable

Antonyms:
boring, drab, dreary, dull, flat, heavy, humdrum, jading, leaden, monotonous, pedestrian, pleasureless, ponderous, stodgy, stuffy, tedious, tiresome, tiring, uninteresting, wearisome, weary, wearying
Do you really, really want your video to be boring, drab, dreary, dull, flat, heavy, humdrum, jading, leaden, monotonous, pedestrian, pleasureless, ponderous, stodgy, stuffy, tedious, tiresome, tiring, uninteresting, wearisome, weary, wearying????????

Mark

Sea Life
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,

post #54 of 101 Old 01-20-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

"if a creator flashes a bunch of bikini... its just going to piss me off."
So, you'd rather they used nude mechanics, like that Russian "Naked News" show that was on a decade or two ago?

Seriously, "production" skills are going to be half black art from folks with fine intuition, and half knowledge of the intimate details of the target audience. There's a reason that elevator stories are under 30 seconds, TV commercials 30 seconds typically, one minute pretty much the top. Songs on the radio 4:40 instead of eight or twelve minutes for the album cut. And for a while, TV advertisers were buying one minute spots, putting a 15 second commercial at each end of that, and selling off the 30 seconds in the middle. That was working, too. Two 15's worked better than one 30. Supposedly.
Whether you're watching pretty vivacious happy people doing something vicariously for you, or tuning in to learn how to change a prop, whether you're 22 or 65, all is going to affect what the "best" length video for you, for that one target demographic, will be.
Of course sometimes you can look for existing successful yt channels, and start out by following their same formula, same length, same pace, if your target audience is the same. I don't think anyone can codify all the details and put them on a 3x5 card, though. (Yes, you can still buy 3x5 cards, they're just flimsier paper these days.)
MikeOReilly likes this.
post #55 of 101 Old 01-20-2019
Old soul

Mark, I appreciate your obvious expertise in this area, but I think youíre too narrow in your approach. Communications vehicles can have widely varying purposes and goals and formats. Entertainment is only one purpose. It may be the dominate feature of youtube, but itís clearly not the only one.

Understanding your purpose, and who you are trying to reach, is basic communications. Compare any two magazines (the area I know best). The audience for SAIL is vastly different than Sky & Telescope. Of course there is overlap, but itís clear they are different audiences, and different purposes in mind.

In your example, a Star Trek is definitely a different audience than those that go to a romantic comedy or a horror flick. Again, of course there is overlap, but itís easy to measure the differences. And the films are written and marketed to target different audiences.
Arcb likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #56 of 101 Old 01-20-2019

I wanna get one of those crafty sailneters to come and make a cool video of sailing on sv Shiva... food and drink on me...

Actually... I was thinking a great idea for a little business would be vidoes of YOUR boat... while sailing shot from a drone or two...
Arcb likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 01-20-2019 at 05:07 PM.
post #57 of 101 Old 01-20-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
but I think youíre too narrow in your approach.

Please don't think my thoughts are codified. They're not. If I have left that impression I haven't been clear enough.

Video production is an art. All art is defined by its lack of rules, isn't it? When an artist starts at art school I guess they are taught to draw... but for the student to become an artist they must achieve something that is their own unique style, and the most famous break every rule they were ever taught in art class.

This thread is that art class. Its not a graduate class, its the basics. Get them right and then anyone can break any rule they want. They will know what they're breaking and why. If theres a good enough reason their audience will appreciate it.

Guess whose painting this is.

Picasso didnt paint his style for more than another decade. He learned the rules then twisted them out of shape

https://www.pablo-ruiz-picasso.net/period-first.php

SanderO and sailforlife like this.

Sea Life

post #58 of 101 Old 01-20-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
The audience for SAIL is vastly different than Sky & Telescope. Of course there is overlap, but it’s clear they are different audiences,
Yes, but the filmmaking is the same. The storytelling is the same... just the story is different.

A modern director doesn't just make the one genre of film. Unless you are really big in Hollywood most directors shoot TV commercials all week and only get to work on their horror movie on weekends. It doesnt mean their Colgate tv Ad scares the crap outta the kids

Mark
SanderO likes this.

Sea Life

post #59 of 101 Old 01-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
NO! You don't know that! All you know is that the people who have COMMENTED on your video are
Sort of, I have been tracking my analytics for a while and there is a reasonable bit of data to work with. YouTube does a pretty good job of this.

The peaks on the graph represent new video release. The big bulk changes represent changes in strategy or boat. The biggest bulk change occurred when I sold my 35 foot boat and bought my 21 foot boat. Huge jump in interest when I switched from a heavy cruising boat to a trailer sailer, that would be the big bulk change about half way through the graph. I think because my message was actually reaching more boat owners, and there are a lot more people with trailer sailers than big boats. Momentum continued to build until I started doing my sailing kayak vids, which represents the current drop. I think there might just be too much competition with kayaks, not sure, haven't figured it out yet. But I have a decent idea of who is watching my vids, what they like and what they don't.

Now excuse me, I have to google <Naked Russian Tractor Mechanics>

Attached Thumbnails
analytics.png  
MikeOReilly likes this.

Last edited by Arcb; 01-20-2019 at 04:03 PM.
post #60 of 101 Old 01-20-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Please don't think my thoughts are codified. They're not. If I have left that impression I haven't been clear enough.

Video production is an art. ...
But thatís my simple point, and I think itís what Arcb is getting at as well. Sometimes it ainít art. Sometimes itís not even that creative. Video production can be for a multitude of reasons, just like writing a mag article.

Quote:
Yes, but the filmmaking is the same. The storytelling is the same... just the story is different.
As someone who has written for both genres, I can state from decades of experience that this is incorrect. The storytelling is not the same.

I see video production as part of a full spectrum of communications tools. Making art, and telling a good story, is one solid aspect of this spectrum, but itís far wider than that.

I guess we just have to disagree on this Mark. Thatís OK. Thereís no one right answer for anything. Let's move on to more practical tips. Iím learning lots from your thoughts.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in