How to make GREAT Videos! - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 111Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 101 Old 01-20-2019 Thread Starter

Dock
Re: How to make GREAT Videos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
But thatís my simple point, and I think itís what @Arcb is getting at as well.
You guys are at utter liberty to do exactly what you want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its YOUR videos. Since when did they become mine????????????????????

I am giving you MY ideas. I am not forcing you to use them or do anything you don't want. Neither of you are children. Neither of you are sitting an exam in which I am the examiner.

To say I am wrong about my opinions is ridiculous. They are my opinions. Its not some laws of the land the police are going to bust you for. OK?

If you think storytelling is different then fine, do what you want. If Arcb thinks he should be guided by analytics, fine, he can pour over them. My opinion is tell a good story, and, get the production looking good without the analytics because staring at them will just screw your story.

When I get around to writing my next episode (about Equipment) I am going to tell you something that I require as an absolute *must* of any crew I have ever worked with, that neither of you will ever, ever do. That doesn't mean I am not tell you what it is and how important it is just because I know you won't follow it.

So, tomorrow, when I tell you, don't chuck a tanty

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 101 Old 01-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
You guys are at utter liberty to do exactly what you want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its YOUR videos. Since when did they become mine????????????????????

I am giving you MY ideas. I am not forcing you to use them or do anything you don't want. Neither of you are children. Neither of you are sitting an exam in which I am the examiner.

To say I am wrong about my opinions is ridiculous. They are my opinions. Its not some laws of the land the police are going to bust you for. OK?

If you think storytelling is different then fine, do what you want. If Arcb thinks he should be guided by analytics, fine, he can pour over them. My opinion is tell a good story, and, get the production looking good without the analytics because staring at them will just screw your story.

When I get around to writing my next episode (about Equipment) I am going to tell you something that I require as an absolute *must* of any crew I have ever worked with, that neither of you will ever, ever do. That doesn't mean I am not tell you what it is and how important it is just because I know you won't follow it.

Mark
If I actively ignore user feed back and analytics, how do I know if I am telling a good story?

If I am sitting in Sea Lifes cockpit telling a tale over a bottle of bourbon, I know if you are listening. You make eye contact, you laugh, you repeat a humorous part of the story. The youtube equivalent is likes, dislikes and comments. There is no eye contact on youtube.

Subscribers and repeat viewers are like fellow sailors being invited back to your cockpit for another round of tales and another bottle of bourbon.

I dont see how you can tell a decent story without listening to and watching your listeners/viewers reactions. That is just talking to yourself and hoping someone else is listening. Youtube provides for likes, dislikes and analytics to give that viewer feed back.

Story telling requires at least two participants; the story teller and the listener.

Last edited by Arcb; 01-20-2019 at 06:16 PM.
post #63 of 101 Old 01-20-2019
Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
When I get around to writing my next episode (about Equipment)
Equipment,....... seems like this changes daily. Purchased one of the first GoPro's, probably over eight years ago. Some where around 2000-2001 we purchased a digital video camera and digital still camera with mpeg capability. Those two camera's cost more than my first car.............

Quote:
Well, you have me at a loss here................ tanty, chucking it......?
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

post #64 of 101 Old 01-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post

OMFG I am totally gonna steal that!

Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
before it's too late

Youtube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #65 of 101 Old 01-20-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
If I actively ignore user feed back and analytics, how do I know if I am telling a good story?
Can you go back Post 50. Audience.

I can't have explained it well enough to be understandable, sorry.

Basically: the Analytics are misleading.
They mislead you to a point where you will hurt your overall product.

All TV, Radio, movies etc rely and love analytics... But they're wrong for program makers to see/use. (they are good to use to sell advertising space, or cinema screens etc - for the Salesman to have 'something to sell')

Your analogy of the story telling to one person on the boat is good. You can see the whole audience at one time and you can see their reaction. (like a stage play the actor can hear the audience). However videos on YouTube, or TV shows etc you can't see the whole audience but you *think* you do. So it feels smart to alter your content because you *think* that's what the audience wants. But that's the mistake.

When I was in Radio on my first ratings results came out the Sales Manager walked into the studio to give me the good news while I was playing some record... "... But you lost 1% of 35 to 49 year olds".
So what was I meant to do? Play one extra old song per day? Say how good ABBA was 20 years before? No. The thing for me to do as the DJ was just to make my whole program as good as I could.

So the advice in Post 50 The Audience is make the best video you can can on the subject you want and not to be swayed by who or what you perceive the audience (your audience) is or what you think they want.

Arcb likes this.

Sea Life

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 01-20-2019 at 06:47 PM.
post #66 of 101 Old 01-20-2019

I read 50, I had mixed feelings about it. I like this post better

My first couple of vids got lots of nasty feedback, for my third vid I changed direction a bit and did a vid on an 8 ft boat. There were a lot fewer nasty comments for vid 3.

I wouldnt still be making vids if I had not changed directions for vid 3, that was based on viewer feedback.

Last edited by Arcb; 01-21-2019 at 07:23 AM.
post #67 of 101 Old 01-20-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

I just thought of a good example. The News Media has found Clicks to be so very important: your article only got 100,000 clicks, you're fired.
So the journalist ensures they get 200,000 Clicks by ratcheting up the drama, adding just a touch of Fake News.

In the end all they have done is destroyed the integrity of their product!

The News Media's love of click analytics is harming it's product.

Sea Life

post #68 of 101 Old 01-20-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post

I wouldnt still be making vids if I had not changed directions for vid 3, that was based on viewer feedback.
Look, I know harsh comments can be devastating. Most good producers never let the on-air talent, actors etc hear or read the bad stuff because they will do what you did.

For starters, the people who comment are only a small fraction of the audience and they are not the impirtant part of the audience. When I did Talk Back radio you had to realise that the callers are not the audience, they are the entertainment. 99% of the audience never ring in.
It's the same when I went into TV... Everyone you see and meet on the shoot is not the audience.
Same as later, it's not the fans who are important, it's the mob at home watching the TV or the mob in the cinema.

Your perception of your first 3 eps may have been quite correct. I don't know. I haven't seen them. However I think the first ep anyone does it's probably pretty diabolically bad. But the learning curve through the first 3 eps is almost verticle that Ep 3 was probably much, much better.
I might be wrong but I would hapilly shove $100 down as a bet. Probably $1,000.

Go back and look at the early Picasso painting

Analytics are such a shiny gold toy that no one can ignore them... But in this learning phase one really shouldn't read the critics, one really shouldn't check their numbers, Overnights or whatever. Just work on your quality. As the quality slowly comes up you will find your audience numbers probably come up too.

Until you get bored. Then the numbers will drop before you even feel boredness starting. But that's a discussion for a few years time
Arcb likes this.

Sea Life

post #69 of 101 Old 01-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Equipment,....... seems like this changes daily. Purchased one of the first GoPro's, probably over eight years ago. Some where around 2000-2001 we purchased a digital video camera and digital still camera with mpeg capability. Those two camera's cost more than my first car.............
I purchased a SOny VX-1000 mini DV camera around 2000 for I think $1500 and a Casablanca stand alone editing system for $4000. Still have them BTW. Old NTSC video standard. Thought I would make and edit videos with them for a little extra cash. Might have actually edited three or four of my own personal videos and one gratis for a friend in total. Have not touched either in years. I still have them because the thought of throwing that investment in the trash just bothers the hell out of me.

In 2017 I lost my first $$$ GoPro Hero2 camera in the channel leading into Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas while trying to set up a shot onboard a moving boat. Lost a Nikon W100 in the Maldives last week after I dropped it and it bounced into 75 meters of water. I am now using a $49 GoPro knockoff that makes damn good pictures and I won't feel as bad if they go to the bottom or become obsolete.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

post #70 of 101 Old 01-21-2019

I'm just finishing up a relaxing 21 day trip here in the Maldives including an 8 day Catamaran charter. I lost my main camera over the side but, managed to take enough photos and video using my backup underwater camera and phone.

One of the great things about capturing video on files (SD Cards) instead of video tape as Mark may verify is that instead of using time code embedded on the tape and having to watch the tape and write down the time code for the shots you want to use in the edit. You can actually rename the files.
For example my camera names files FB127, FB128, FB129 etc...

I am currently at a Resort Island easing my way back to "civilization". As I drink my morning coffee on the deck I look at the video I've taken and start to rename the files. Say FB 127 will be changed to "Powder Blue Surgeon School". FB128 changed to "Shark Black Tip Reef" This should make it easier to find the footage and photos I need once I start editing or to use in a future video.

On the plane home I may look at the new renamed files again and start to make a shot sheet list with the order of the videos and photo files I want in my edit. Should also save a lot of time once I actually start to edit. Anyone else do this? Comments?

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

Last edited by mbianka; 01-21-2019 at 07:57 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in