How to make GREAT Videos! - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 111Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 101 Old 01-21-2019 Thread Starter

Dock
Re: How to make GREAT Videos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post

On the plane home I may look at the new renamed files again and start to make a shot sheet list with the order of the videos and photo files I want in my edit. Should also save a lot of time once I actually start to edit. Anyone else do this? Comments?
Yeah, the bit of administration is well worth the time. You will remember the major shots and their file locations... but its easy to forget where your cut-aways are as they are often splattered through.

Its also a great wind-down from your adventure to be able to sit back and re-live it.

Have fun

Mark
mbianka likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 101 Old 01-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Yeah, the bit of administration is well worth the time. You will remember the major shots and their file locations... but its easy to forget where your cut-aways are as they are often splattered through.

Its also a great wind-down from your adventure to be able to sit back and re-live it.
I don't find it a problem. Since I can list the files alphabetically I easily find cutaway shots like "Sailing underway port side" or Captain Ali at helm". By doing the viewing and renaming as soon as I can I delete many files/shots that contain shots that are just plain no good. This frees up more space on the card and acts to edit things down to the most usable shots pretty quickly.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Mike
Currently: Hunkering down for a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #73 of 101 Old 01-24-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I'm just finishing up a relaxing 21 day trip here in the Maldives including an 8 day Catamaran charter. I lost my main camera over the side but, managed to take enough photos and video using my backup underwater camera and phone.

One of the great things about capturing video on files (SD Cards) instead of video tape as Mark may verify is that instead of using time code embedded on the tape and having to watch the tape and write down the time code for the shots you want to use in the edit. You can actually rename the files.
For example my camera names files FB127, FB128, FB129 etc...

I am currently at a Resort Island easing my way back to "civilization". As I drink my morning coffee on the deck I look at the video I've taken and start to rename the files. Say FB 127 will be changed to "Powder Blue Surgeon School". FB128 changed to "Shark Black Tip Reef" This should make it easier to find the footage and photos I need once I start editing or to use in a future video.

On the plane home I may look at the new renamed files again and start to make a shot sheet list with the order of the videos and photo files I want in my edit. Should also save a lot of time once I actually start to edit. Anyone else do this? Comments?
Right,

So, I retitle vids like you describe, but I give a simple alphanumeric prefix to help organise, but I also like to keep things in chronological order.

I am in Cuba right now, doing a few different things; kayaking, beach cat sailing and hopefully getting a kite surfing lesson.

So, I prefix my vids. Kayaking will start with something like "K1A Renting a Sea Kayak". So, vid 2 might be "S1A ripping down the beach on a hobie getaway" Vid 3 might be "KS1A Kite surfing wipe out".

This, for me, categorises by sport, and chronoligical order, while still giving unique titles to clips.
mbianka likes this.

post #74 of 101 Old 01-25-2019

How do you embed the video into the post? The best I can do is add a link like this:

https://youtu.be/aYUQh1UDnk0

Would love to know your thoughts about the above as well?

Many thanks,

Pete

Halcyon Yachts - International Yacht Delivery
post #75 of 101 Old 01-25-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon1 View Post
How do you embed the video into the post? The best I can do is add a link like this:
Hi Pete,

I don't think you can on a mobile ap.

Cut the URL from the top of the browser, add the URL link button ensureing the Http is gone and replaced by HTTPS
INsert into post

Change the last bit of the url to the title.

Your error was trying to insert from a mobile browser.

But theres an easier way...

Mark
Halcyon1 likes this.

Sea Life

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 01-25-2019 at 04:53 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
Halcyon1 (01-25-2019)
post #76 of 101 Old 01-25-2019

I'll test it here...

Last edited by Halcyon1; 01-25-2019 at 05:06 AM.
post #77 of 101 Old 01-25-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

blah

Sea Life

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 01-25-2019 at 05:10 AM.
post #78 of 101 Old 01-25-2019

Quote:
Hi Pete,

I don't think you can on a mobile ap.

Cut the URL from the top of the browser, add the URL link button ensureing the Http is gone and replaced by HTTPS
INsert into post

Change the last bit of the url to the title.

Your error was trying to insert from a mobile browser.

But theres an easier way...

Mark
I'm using a windows desktop... Doesn't seem to work :-(

post #79 of 101 Old 01-25-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon1 View Post
I'm using a windows desktop... Doesn't seem to work :-(
I edited my post.

their method has changed.

Just wait a few hours till I sort it out.

But re-read my initaial answer and use the URL method while I work out an easy method.

Sea Life

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 01-25-2019 at 05:10 AM.
post #80 of 101 Old 01-25-2019

Quote:
I edited my post.

their method has changed.

Just wait a few minutes till I sort it out.

But re-read my initaial answer and use the URL method while I work out an easy method.
I've worked it out... You just need to copy the long url at the top rather than the share button on youtube and then paste that into the insert link on the forum!

Many thanks,

Pete

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in