Halcyon Yachts - International Yacht Delivery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 101 Old 01-25-2019

Re: How to make GREAT Videos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Right,

So, I retitle vids like you describe, but I give a simple alphanumeric prefix to help organise, but I also like to keep things in chronological order.

I am in Cuba right now, doing a few different things; kayaking, beach cat sailing and hopefully getting a kite surfing lesson.

So, I prefix my vids. Kayaking will start with something like "K1A Renting a Sea Kayak". So, vid 2 might be "S1A ripping down the beach on a hobie getaway" Vid 3 might be "KS1A Kite surfing wipe out".

This, for me, categorises by sport, and chronoligical order, while still giving unique titles to clips.
I did something similar on my Dry Tortugas charter in 2017. I prefixed the clips with "DT" so they would be in one section of the card. I also plan to do a backup of my video shots maybe in the cloud but certainly at least on an external hard drive too. But, there they will be under a specific file name like "Maldives 2019", "Dry Tortugas 2017" etc... Though staying organized is a constant struggle for me and not only with video clips.
Arcb likes this.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #83 of 101 Old 01-25-2019

We try to make at least 1 video a year since we got into the youtube thing a while back. We aren't doing it for subs\clicks\cash, it's more so we have something to watch during the brutal winters here and also to show friends\family what our sailing life is like. We are NOT pro's at this, but here's a couple tips I can think of that I don't think I saw mentioned:

-Be clear in your mission and update it as you go. Non-descript videos of blue water, coral reefs, and sandy beaches are nice and all, but if we don't know who you are, where you're going, why, etc, they all just blend in together. Stand out from the rest and also help the viewer be part of the adventure.

-When you do cuts to other scenes or angles *time it with the beat of the music*. Make the change happen right on a high hat strike, or a guitar note, or a bass line hit. You probably don't notice it happening but it makes the change on screen feel natural and comfortable.

-When framing a shot do your best to keep the horizon level, unless you're trying to emphasize an off balanced look for a reason, and try to follow the "rule of thirds". Look it up, but it's basically dividing all images (video and still) into thirds and framing your subject in those boundaries. For example if someone is standing on deck watching a sunset frame it so they are in the far left or right 3rd and the sunset is in the middle or opposite third, it looks and feels "right".

Our youtube channel is below, not neccessarily looking for criticism on it. However, you can see in the first "Duck Island" video we didn't time the music to scene changes, and we didn't really give the viewer much of an idea of time-lines or locations. The "Return to Duck Island" video we tried to time frame changes to the music and also included time-lines, location headings, and shots of the charts as we went. It's not perfect by any means but we felt it was alot more viewer friendly.

Still working on the 2018 video. We have it about half done and hopefully completed this weekend. It's such a time consuming thing!!

First video:
https://youtu.be/LJrrVKe3ovs

Second:
https://youtu.be/QG7aFLRvye8

PS: Who edits video on a Windows PC and what are you using? For the life of me I can't find good software. The gopro one SUCKS and Adobe Premiere is now only available to "rent" by the month which does me no good if I make 1 video a year. I'm actually about to consider buying a Mac literally just for the iMovie access. Currently we edit all videos at a friends house, which makes video editing a pain since we have to schedule it.
MikeOReilly and mbianka like this.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

Last edited by Guyfromthenorth; 01-25-2019 at 11:52 AM.

post #84 of 101 Old 01-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyfromthenorth View Post
Who edits video on a Windows PC and what are you using? For the life of me I can't find good software. The gopro one SUCKS and Adobe Premiere is now only available to "rent" by the month which does me no good if I make 1 video a year. I'm actually about to consider buying a Mac literally just for the iMovie access. Currently we edit all videos at a friends house, which makes video editing a pain since we have to schedule it.
I use to edit on a PC using an excellent program called Trak Ax PC that I first downloaded for a free trial. Liked it so much I paid for the non trial version that only cost $25 bucks. Great program then the company just disappeared after they got listed on the stock exchange. WTF? Point became moot after Microsoft and Google both stopped supporting my VISTA computer. I'd finally had enough of updating to yet and round of Windows software and new PC.

For the past several years I've been doing everything I need on Chromebooks including video editing. Chromebook opens up in seconds and updates automatically. Plus they are cheap. Battery charge also lasts a long time and it's super light. Plus it's not an Apple product! Only downside is you need to be connected to WiFi to use a lot of features and programs including editing. Have not found that to be a problem while coastal cruising. Just turn my phone into a WIFI hotspot. Here is a video I edited on one of my Chromebooks. Made all the graphics using Google Draw which comes with the Chromebook. I made the video to remind me and others not to jump and take apart systems that suddenly stop working without thinking about it first. Welcome comments on it:

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

Last edited by mbianka; 01-26-2019 at 08:50 AM.
post #85 of 101 Old 01-26-2019

I use a old an old Windows laptop. I just use the free Windows Live Movie Maker that came with the computer. Its not fantastic but its easy to use and free. Having said that, my videos are pretty raw. If I had any interest in monetising my vids I might spend money on a real editing program, but for the current hobby level vids I do, I cant justify the expenditure to myself.
MarkofSeaLife and mbianka like this.
post #86 of 101 Old 01-26-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

The old Windows Movie Maker was better.
The new one is unusable because you cant edit on it. Useless.
Arcb likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #87 of 101 Old 01-27-2019

Thanks guys I did some searching and it looks like Corel Videostudio is a good option and only about 100$. Not sure why I never came across it before. I'll give the trial a go with some of our Mexico footage from two weeks ago.

Our third video is done. I like that we included more human elements this time, however sound is a challenge. Now we are shopping for microphones or portable recorders to capture voice separate from the junky gopro mic.

https://youtu.be/BBaFlM6wXcA
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

post #88 of 101 Old 01-27-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Now we are shopping for microphones or portable recorders to capture voice separate from the junky gopro mic.
Careful! You'll have to be able to sync sound if its recorded to a seperate recorder. thats very difficult.
I haven't written my Equipment post yet (as I am a bit full of other stuff atm). However, basically, I was never an equipment guy, and the last time I had much to do with editing TV was 20 years ago and I am really out of the loop with kit, so my post is going to be general concepts. Theres lots of different technology now but I would be totally surprised if there is an affordable non-attached sound recorder that you can *easily* lip sync to video in a laptop editing suite. For a start you must have both frame rates exactly the same. So ask very careful questions and test that it can be done before you buy. Maybe with new technology the problem has been solved for the cheaper end... but beware.

Mark
mbianka likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #89 of 101 Old 01-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Careful! You'll have to be able to sync sound if its recorded to a seperate recorder. thats very difficult.
I haven't written my Equipment post yet (as I am a bit full of other stuff atm). However, basically, I was never an equipment guy, and the last time I had much to do with editing TV was 20 years ago and I am really out of the loop with kit, so my post is going to be general concepts. Theres lots of different technology now but I would be totally surprised if there is an affordable non-attached sound recorder that you can *easily* lip sync to video in a laptop editing suite. For a start you must have both frame rates exactly the same. So ask very careful questions and test that it can be done before you buy. Maybe with new technology the problem has been solved for the cheaper end... but beware.

Mark
Thanks Mark, I think we may be lucky in that digital recorders are a dime a dozen these days (heck a cell phone even does it well). We just need to find one that doesnt have bad compression making the quality junk and then match it to a good mic.

Matching the sound should be smooth enough with iMovie. It let's you align audio tracks to video frame by frame or by milliseconds. As long as it was all shot at the same time (sound and video) it should be self aligned after the first frame. Now DUBBING would be a nightmare, no interest in that! (Recording the sound after the video is shot)

I like this thread. Good idea and looking forward to more of your posts.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

post #90 of 101 Old 01-27-2019

Quote:

Our third video is done. I like that we included more human elements this time, however sound is a challenge. Now we are shopping for microphones or portable recorders to capture voice separate from the junky gopro mic.
I have the same issue with my action cam. The mic is okay if I am doing an interview style head shot, but pretty useless if pointing away from me. My camera doesnt accept an external mic.

Been thinking about going the digital recorder route. My plan is to put it in a waterproof bag in the front vhf pouch of my PFD to allow me to record hands free.

For me, I am not worried about syncing as I would still use the camera mic for the close up head shots, which I would really like to do fewer of any way.

This is the unit I am looking at.

https://www.amazon.ca/Zoom-H1n-Handy...07101957&psc=1
Guyfromthenorth likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in