• 4 Post By Vernon Deck
  • 1 Post By MarkofSeaLife
  • 1 Post By Vernon Deck

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-03-2019 Thread Starter
Vernon

Swimming with Manta Rays - Learning By Doing Ep76

https://youtu.be/a4aBSZkDT68

I set off for a 15 days Solo passage to Indonesia from Kavieng, PNG.
I have some great sailing, hit the usual squalls that give me a pounding but also cool me down and catch a few fish on route to a stop-over at Hermit Islands. I anchor right at the head of Manta Pass, aptly named indeed! I swim each day off my boat and get my mind blown by the huge graceful Mantas circling underneath. One of my most memorable experiences to date. Enjoy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-03-2019

Re: Swimming with Manta Rays - Learning By Doing Ep76

Such majestic sea creatures. Just swam with some Mantas in the Maldives a few weeks ago. Unfortunately the camera with the video went kaplunk over the side a few days later. So glad to relive it a bit via your video.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

The Following User Says Thank You to mbianka For This Useful Post:
Vernon Deck (02-09-2019)
post #3 of 6 Old 02-03-2019
Master Mariner

Pretty cool. I haven't seen a manta since I left the Pacific. They certainly were wonderful creatures.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
Vernon Deck (02-09-2019)

post #4 of 6 Old 02-03-2019

Dock

Love the drone footage at sea. How the hell do you land it??

Loved the squall footage. poor lil noddy. was it ok and fly off after the squall?

Surprised the 2 png fishermen could speak that good English.

You asked question how will the villagers treat me now I am solo, what difference... but you didnt answer the question.

Great video

Mark
mbianka likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #5 of 6 Old 02-07-2019

that is unbelievable. Very jealous!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sailorjane For This Useful Post:
Vernon Deck (02-09-2019)
post #6 of 6 Old 02-09-2019 Thread Starter
Vernon

Thank for the comments and constructive criticism, appreciate it.

I'll have to do a video about droning at sea as I get heaps of questions on that topic. I fly alongside the boat and just grab it. Obviously way more to it than that but I'll show that in the video.
Noddy survived, I wrapped it in a towel and left it inside overnight then released it the next day. She flew off fine. I filmed that but couldn't find the footage.
In the solomons pretty much no-one speaks english but in PNG the kids learn in school so the level is much higher.
You're right I didn't answer that question. Fact is I didn't really find out as where I anchored there was just Bob and his family. I didn't visit a village at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Love the drone footage at sea. How the hell do you land it??

Loved the squall footage. poor lil noddy. was it ok and fly off after the squall?

Surprised the 2 png fishermen could speak that good English.

You asked question how will the villagers treat me now I am solo, what difference... but you didnt answer the question.

Great video

Mark
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in